Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > I am disappointed in DVD

I am disappointed in DVD

Walter R.

I invested all of 40 bucks in a DVD recorder. I hoped I would be able to
copy all kinds of good, old movies from netflix and the local public
libraries. Alas. this dream of a great movie library was not fulfilled.

Practically all DVDs that I borrowed from the library, especially the
popular ones that I was interest in, were scratched and the movies barely
stumbled along. The disks from netflix also jerked quite a bit and made for
a less than exhilarating movie experience.

I tried two different DVD players but the results were equally
disappointing. The old VHS tapes worked much better.

Was my experience unique, or do other folks have the same problems? Short of
buying brand new movie DVDs, how can I get my hands on clean DVD disks?

Happy New Year

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

RobMac

"Walter R." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dvTtf.8690$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I invested all of 40 bucks in a DVD recorder. I hoped I would be able to
>copy all kinds of good, old movies from netflix and the local public
>libraries. Alas. this dream of a great movie library was not fulfilled.
>
> Practically all DVDs that I borrowed from the library, especially the
> popular ones that I was interest in, were scratched and the movies barely
> stumbled along. The disks from netflix also jerked quite a bit and made
> for a less than exhilarating movie experience.
>
> I tried two different DVD players but the results were equally
> disappointing. The old VHS tapes worked much better.
>
> Was my experience unique, or do other folks have the same problems? Short
> of buying brand new movie DVDs, how can I get my hands on clean DVD disks?
>
> Happy New Year
>
> --
> Walter
> www.rationality.net
> -

Unique.

But with DVDs in the $20 range why not just buy good, clean, brand new
copies and start a proper library of your own? I mean, if you're renting and
hoping to steal a copy for yourself so you can presumably watch a movie over
and over again, it really is much better to get a new one you can display
prominently on a shelf in your living room....they make great conversation
starters too, so there's another reason to buy instead of steal !!!

If you copy then you have no case with nice poster art or liner notes....who
wants that?

Walter R.

Your argument is compelling. However, you are confusing *stealing* with
*frugality*.

I would never dream of buying a $ 20 DVD to see a crummy old movie. By
copying an existing copy, I am not stealing: I am not depriving anyone of
anything, which would be the essence of stealing. By copying a CD, instead
of buying one which I would never do, I merely enhance my own standard of
living without depriving any poor starving artist of anything. Just because
something is against a stupid law, it is not immoral, as stealing would be.

No, I don't want the nice bookshelf with brand new DVDs, as suggested by
you. I just want the ethereal content of old DVDs.

Ha!

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"RobMac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Walter R." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dvTtf.8690$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I invested all of 40 bucks in a DVD recorder. I hoped I would be able to
>>copy all kinds of good, old movies from netflix and the local public
>>libraries. Alas. this dream of a great movie library was not fulfilled.
>>
>> Practically all DVDs that I borrowed from the library, especially the
>> popular ones that I was interest in, were scratched and the movies barely
>> stumbled along. The disks from netflix also jerked quite a bit and made
>> for a less than exhilarating movie experience.
>>
>> I tried two different DVD players but the results were equally
>> disappointing. The old VHS tapes worked much better.
>>
>> Was my experience unique, or do other folks have the same problems? Short
>> of buying brand new movie DVDs, how can I get my hands on clean DVD
>> disks?
>>
>> Happy New Year
>>
>> --
>> Walter
>> www.rationality.net
>> -
>>

> Unique.
>
> But with DVDs in the $20 range why not just buy good, clean, brand new
> copies and start a proper library of your own? I mean, if you're renting
> and hoping to steal a copy for yourself so you can presumably watch a
> movie over and over again, it really is much better to get a new one you
> can display prominently on a shelf in your living room....they make great
> conversation starters too, so there's another reason to buy instead of
> steal !!!
>
> If you copy then you have no case with nice poster art or liner
> notes....who wants that?

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

M.B.

Walter R. wrote:
> Your argument is compelling. However, you are confusing *stealing* with
> *frugality*.
>
> I would never dream of buying a $ 20 DVD to see a crummy old movie. By
> copying an existing copy, I am not stealing: I am not depriving anyone of
> anything, which would be the essence of stealing. By copying a CD, instead
> of buying one which I would never do, I merely enhance my own standard of
> living without depriving any poor starving artist of anything. Just because
> something is against a stupid law, it is not immoral, as stealing would be.
>
> No, I don't want the nice bookshelf with brand new DVDs, as suggested by
> you. I just want the ethereal content of old DVDs.
>
> Ha!

You're an ass. You're stealing. Plain and simple. And if you don't
have the smarts to figure out how to properly make copies of
COPY-PROTECTED DVDs, then you deserve what you get.

Matt

"Walter R." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FzUtf.9978$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Your argument is compelling. However, you are confusing *stealing* with
> *frugality*.
>
> I would never dream of buying a $ 20 DVD to see a crummy old movie. By
> copying an existing copy, I am not stealing: I am not depriving anyone of
> anything, which would be the essence of stealing. By copying a CD, instead
> of buying one which I would never do, I merely enhance my own standard of
> living without depriving any poor starving artist of anything. Just
> because something is against a stupid law, it is not immoral, as stealing
> would be.
>
> No, I don't want the nice bookshelf with brand new DVDs, as suggested by
> you. I just want the ethereal content of old DVDs.
>
> Ha!

Frugality. Another word for thief in this instance.
You are stealing, pure and simple.

Biz

Seems to me you got exactly what you were willing to pay for..
"Walter R." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dvTtf.8690$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I invested all of 40 bucks in a DVD recorder. I hoped I would be able to
> copy all kinds of good, old movies from netflix and the local public
> libraries. Alas. this dream of a great movie library was not fulfilled.
>
> Practically all DVDs that I borrowed from the library, especially the
> popular ones that I was interest in, were scratched and the movies barely
> stumbled along. The disks from netflix also jerked quite a bit and made

for
> a less than exhilarating movie experience.
>
> I tried two different DVD players but the results were equally
> disappointing. The old VHS tapes worked much better.
>
> Was my experience unique, or do other folks have the same problems? Short

of
> buying brand new movie DVDs, how can I get my hands on clean DVD disks?
>
> Happy New Year
>
> --
> Walter
> www.rationality.net
> -

Bob

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 18:05:59 GMT, "Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> Your argument is compelling. However, you are confusing *stealing* with
>> *frugality*.

>> I would never dream of buying a $ 20 DVD to see a crummy old movie. By
>> copying an existing copy, I am not stealing: I am not depriving anyone of
>> anything, which would be the essence of stealing. By copying a CD, instead
>> of buying one which I would never do, I merely enhance my own standard of
>> living without depriving any poor starving artist of anything. Just
>> because something is against a stupid law, it is not immoral, as stealing
>> would be.

>> No, I don't want the nice bookshelf with brand new DVDs, as suggested by
>> you. I just want the ethereal content of old DVDs.

>> Ha!

>Frugality. Another word for thief in this instance.
>You are stealing, pure and simple.

Will you ninnies give it a rest.

There are far more important things happening in the world than an
individual making a copy of something solely for personal use.

Justin

Walter R. wrote on [Sun, 01 Jan 2006 17:46:13 GMT]:
> Your argument is compelling. However, you are confusing *stealing* with
> *frugality*.

Keep rationalising your breaking of laws and obtainining something you
have no right to.

Justin

Bob wrote on [Sun, 01 Jan 2006 18:36:42 GMT]:
> On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 18:05:59 GMT, "Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>> Your argument is compelling. However, you are confusing *stealing* with
>>> *frugality*.

>>> I would never dream of buying a $ 20 DVD to see a crummy old movie. By
>>> copying an existing copy, I am not stealing: I am not depriving anyone of
>>> anything, which would be the essence of stealing. By copying a CD, instead
>>> of buying one which I would never do, I merely enhance my own standard of
>>> living without depriving any poor starving artist of anything. Just
>>> because something is against a stupid law, it is not immoral, as stealing
>>> would be.

>>> No, I don't want the nice bookshelf with brand new DVDs, as suggested by
>>> you. I just want the ethereal content of old DVDs.

>>> Ha!

>>Frugality. Another word for thief in this instance.
>>You are stealing, pure and simple.

> Will you ninnies give it a rest.
>
> There are far more important things happening in the world than an
> individual making a copy of something solely for personal use.

Yes, it's OK to steal something as long as you don't kill, right.

jayembee

"Walter R." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Your argument is compelling. However, you are confusing *stealing* with
> *frugality*.

"Frugality" is just a rationalization for stealing.

> I would never dream of buying a $ 20 DVD to see a crummy old movie. By
> copying an existing copy, I am not stealing: I am not depriving anyone of
> anything, which would be the essence of stealing. By copying a CD, instead
> of buying one which I would never do, I merely enhance my own standard of
> living without depriving any poor starving artist of anything. Just because
> something is against a stupid law, it is not immoral, as stealing would be.

It doesn't matter if the owners of the property are not losing anything by
your copying it given that you wouldn't buy it anyway.

Our economic system is based on a quid pro quo arrangement. They
have something you want (a movie), and you have something they
want (money). The idea is that you give them money in exchange for
their giving you the movie.

If you copy it, even though they still have the original, you are getting
something from them, without giving them anything in return. *That* is
what makes it unethical, not just because it's against the law.

And if it's just "a crummy old movie", why do you want it in the first place?

-- jayembee

Disappointed with Firefox's pop-up blocker History Fan Firefox 36 08-16-2005 09:54 PM
LCD TVs--No longer disappointed The Man Behind The Curtain DVD Video 5 07-10-2005 09:37 PM
LCD TVs--disappointed The Man Behind The Curtain DVD Video 72 07-07-2005 11:53 PM
Disappointed mario MCSE 87 06-12-2004 12:26 PM
Disappointed by Digital Rebel (Canon EOS-300D) Open Wound Digital Photography 11 03-07-2004 10:15 PM

Advertisments