Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > A HDTV converter.

A HDTV converter.

Bill Baird

I haven't done much with HDTV stuff yet since I have no intention of
getting into another Vhs/Beta war. Even when the players become available
I hope everyone waits till the industry comes to its senses and
standardises.

Anyway, I DO have an HD capture card and it works ok, but only for
over-the-air broadcasts and we only have one local station that sends in
that mode. There is no way to connect the card to a new Satellite HD box
because my card (and all of the few HD capture cards that I know of) only
have the coax input. And all the HD equipment that I have seen has either
the HDMI or DVI connectors (although a couple of TVs I have looked at in
stores have some kind of Red Green Blue inputs).

Just like back in the early days when you need a converter to get between
RF signals and video/sound signals.

So, anybody know of any kind of converter to do the job for HD?

BB

Arthur Lipscomb

"Bill Baird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I haven't done much with HDTV stuff yet since I have no intention of
> getting into another Vhs/Beta war. Even when the players become available
> I hope everyone waits till the industry comes to its senses and
> standardises.
>
> Anyway, I DO have an HD capture card and it works ok, but only for
> over-the-air broadcasts and we only have one local station that sends in
> that mode. There is no way to connect the card to a new Satellite HD box
> because my card (and all of the few HD capture cards that I know of) only
> have the coax input. And all the HD equipment that I have seen has either
> the HDMI or DVI connectors (although a couple of TVs I have looked at in
> stores have some kind of Red Green Blue inputs).
>
> Just like back in the early days when you need a converter to get between
> RF signals and video/sound signals.
>
> So, anybody know of any kind of converter to do the job for HD?
>
> BB

I'm not sure I understand your question. I'm pretty sure you're not asking
about upconverting standard DVD to HD. Are you asking how to capture a HD
signal on you computer? Do you own a HDTV but can't figure out how to
connect it to your HD satellite? You mentioned looking at TVs in stores so
I'm going to go with the latter. If you do have a HDTV, doesn't your TV
have a HDMI, DVI, or component (the Red Green Blue connectors) input? If
so use that for the high def instead of the capture card.

My HDTV is connected using a HD cable box. The same RF connections that the
old standard cable box had the new HD box has. The HD signal enters the
cable box through the RF connection then outs to my TV through whatever
connection I choose. The HD box very similar to my old cable box except it
has component (the Red Green Blue connectors), DVI and S-Video. I would
assume your HD satellite box, even if it doesn't have an RF input, does have
multiple output options. You should be able to connect the satellite to the
HDTV through a connection other than the capture card.

Hope this helps.

Bill Baird

> I'm not sure I understand your question. I'm pretty sure you're not

Probably because I don't understand it either. Correct, I don't want to
copy or view ordinary DVDs on a new HDTV. What I do want to do is be able
to "tape" movies from the new HDTV satellite service. (Which I don't have
yet.) Using my new HD PVR (which I do have - but as I said, only has an RF
input.)

My questions come from inspecting an HDTV capable satellite box of a
friend. His doesn't have an RF output for the HDTV signal. Only an
HDMI or DVI (I don't remember which) plug. No component outputs.

So you are saying that your rig DOES have an RF out that supplies HD
signal? If that is the case, then problem solved. I will make sure that
my box does also.

Thanks
BB

Biz

Most people use the DVR's from the sat services....
"Bill Baird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> > I'm not sure I understand your question. I'm pretty sure you're not

> Probably because I don't understand it either. Correct, I don't want to
> copy or view ordinary DVDs on a new HDTV. What I do want to do is be able
> to "tape" movies from the new HDTV satellite service. (Which I don't have
> yet.) Using my new HD PVR (which I do have - but as I said, only has an RF
> input.)
>
> My questions come from inspecting an HDTV capable satellite box of a
> friend. His doesn't have an RF output for the HDTV signal. Only an
> HDMI or DVI (I don't remember which) plug. No component outputs.
>
> So you are saying that your rig DOES have an RF out that supplies HD
> signal? If that is the case, then problem solved. I will make sure that
> my box does also.
>
> Thanks
> BB

Arthur Lipscomb

"Bill Baird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

>> I'm not sure I understand your question. I'm pretty sure you're not

> Probably because I don't understand it either. Correct, I don't want to
> copy or view ordinary DVDs on a new HDTV. What I do want to do is be able
> to "tape" movies from the new HDTV satellite service. (Which I don't have
> yet.) Using my new HD PVR (which I do have - but as I said, only has an RF
> input.)
>
> My questions come from inspecting an HDTV capable satellite box of a
> friend. His doesn't have an RF output for the HDTV signal. Only an
> HDMI or DVI (I don't remember which) plug. No component outputs.
>
> So you are saying that your rig DOES have an RF out that supplies HD
> signal? If that is the case, then problem solved. I will make sure that
> my box does also.
>
> Thanks
> BB

The box has an RF in for the cable signal. The HD out is DVI and component.
The other outputs are non HD. However, the manual for my box mentions an
alternate model equipped with an RF bypass and shows a picture of an RF out.
If you go with cable, you may be able to connect the HD cable signal into
your PVR's RF input.

Best thing to do is contact your local satellite and cable provider tell
them what equipment you already own and ask if their equipment is compatible
with yours. You may not need a converter. And as someone else mentioned,
you're satellite provider (and cable provider) can provide you with a HD
PVR.

Bill Baird

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 02:15:12 +0000, Biz wrote:

> Most people use the DVR's from the sat services.... "Bill Baird"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...

Yep, but don't they charge a monthly fee for PVR useage? Mine is
free, has many more options, holds FAR more than any commercial PVR I ever
heard of and I can use the computer for other stuff. (That being said, I
haven't found much lately from Hollywood that I would waste an old AOL
floppy on, let alone space on 400 gig drives.) Plus, I will almost
guarantee that Hollywood will eventually get around to making both the
cable and satellite companies charge a fee for each viewing. Directv has
already had a short test for that - $1 to tape a movie. Or make you view
ads before fast forwarding. I don't want to pirate stuff, just move it to
a different viewing time.

Not that the money part is any big deal. In fact it is trivial. Just
that it ticks me off - kind of like $5 gasoline in an emergency because we
got it and you don't.

BB

Biz

Then figure it out on your own. The DVR's from Directv are way more useful
than some POS PC setup you are using, unless its a real Tivo or Ultimate TV
box....plus you wouldnt need to post on usenet to try to figure out if it
would work...it just works flawlessly...All the HD DirecTv receivers have
component and at least s-video as well, its your HD card in your PC that is
lacking...its strictly meant for OTA recording...

"Bill Baird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 02:15:12 +0000, Biz wrote:
>
> > Most people use the DVR's from the sat services.... "Bill Baird"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news(E-Mail Removed)...

> Yep, but don't they charge a monthly fee for PVR useage? Mine is
> free, has many more options, holds FAR more than any commercial PVR I ever
> heard of and I can use the computer for other stuff. (That being said, I
> haven't found much lately from Hollywood that I would waste an old AOL
> floppy on, let alone space on 400 gig drives.) Plus, I will almost
> guarantee that Hollywood will eventually get around to making both the
> cable and satellite companies charge a fee for each viewing. Directv has
> already had a short test for that - $1 to tape a movie. Or make you view
> ads before fast forwarding. I don't want to pirate stuff, just move it to
> a different viewing time.
>
> Not that the money part is any big deal. In fact it is trivial. Just
> that it ticks me off - kind of like $5 gasoline in an emergency because we
> got it and you don't.
>
> BB

Luke Smith

does anyone have problems with their comcast hdtv box? mine constantly
gets pixelated. I wish there was another provider to go with.

Arthur Lipscomb

"Luke Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> does anyone have problems with their comcast hdtv box? mine constantly
> gets pixelated. I wish there was another provider to go with.

Some of my standard channels look somewhat grainy at times, especially Sci
Fi. Otherwise no pixilation. Although I used to have a problem where a
high def widescreen program would become window boxed. I don't mean during
commercials. The widescreen program itself would window box. I still don't
know if the problem was with the network or the cable company. But that
hasn't occurred in a while.

Joshua Zyber

"Arthur Lipscomb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Some of my standard channels look somewhat grainy at times, especially
> Sci Fi. Otherwise no pixilation. Although I used to have a problem
> where a high def widescreen program would become window boxed. I
> don't mean during commercials. The widescreen program itself would
> window box. I still don't know if the problem was with the network or
> the cable company. But that hasn't occurred in a while.

It sounds like the local station probably forgot to switch back to the
HD feed after the commercial break, so you get a standard-def image
pillarboxed in the center of the normal HD window until they bother to
fix it. This happens occasionally. It's usually a problem with the local
network station, not Comcast.

ATI HDTV Wonder card can capture HDTV pictures in 1080i or 1080p and print out as photos? Summercoolness@gmail.com Digital Photography 2 07-15-2006 03:02 PM
hdtv William Powell Computer Support 6 09-26-2005 03:16 PM
EDTV vs. HDTV Scribner Computer Support 2 01-06-2005 01:54 AM
HDTV pcbutts1 Computer Support 8 10-14-2004 02:21 AM
Panasonic 47' PT-47WX53 HDTV Pastor Marc Computer Support 1 07-13-2004 04:51 PM

Advertisments