Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Sony settlement in DRM debacle

Sony settlement in DRM debacle

Goro

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/index.php...temid=89&nsub=

The company has agreed to the following limitations on the use of
copy-protection software until 2008:

1. No further use of XCP or Media Max
2. Ensure that the DRM will not be installed on users' computers
until the user accepts the end-user license agreement
3. Ensure that an uninstaller for the copy-protection software is
made readily available to consumers
4. Fully disclose any updates to the copy-protection software
5. Ensure that the EULA accurately discloses the nature and function
of the software in plain English
6. Obtain comments about the EULA from an independent oversight
person
7. Obtain an expert opinion that the copy-protection software does
not create security vulnerabilities
8. Only collect limited personal information necessary to provide
enhanced CD functionality
9. Include full disclosures of the copy-protection software on the
CD jewel case
10. Fix any software vulnerabilities that may arise from the
copy-protection software

--

Except for item #1, All these items SHOULD BE DEFACTO operating
procedure. Why there has to be a settlement agreement to force Sony to
"Obtain an expert opinion that the copy-protection software does not
create security vulnerabilities"???!?!!

-goro-

William Oertell

"Goro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/index.php...temid=89&nsub=

> The company has agreed to the following limitations on the use of
> copy-protection software until 2008:
>
> 1. No further use of XCP or Media Max
> 2. Ensure that the DRM will not be installed on users' computers
> until the user accepts the end-user license agreement
> 3. Ensure that an uninstaller for the copy-protection software is
> made readily available to consumers
> 4. Fully disclose any updates to the copy-protection software
> 5. Ensure that the EULA accurately discloses the nature and function
> of the software in plain English
> 6. Obtain comments about the EULA from an independent oversight
> person
> 7. Obtain an expert opinion that the copy-protection software does
> not create security vulnerabilities
> 8. Only collect limited personal information necessary to provide
> enhanced CD functionality
> 9. Include full disclosures of the copy-protection software on the
> CD jewel case
> 10. Fix any software vulnerabilities that may arise from the
> copy-protection software
>
> --
>
> Except for item #1, All these items SHOULD BE DEFACTO operating
> procedure. Why there has to be a settlement agreement to force Sony to
> "Obtain an expert opinion that the copy-protection software does not
> create security vulnerabilities"???!?!!
>
> -goro-

I'll bet Sony doesn't live up to the deal in the long run. He**, they
don't think they did anything wrong in the first place. I won't buy another
Sony product again...ever! I guess I'll have to find another application
besides Sound Forge for my audio editing.