Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVDs Lose Their Shine.

DVDs Lose Their Shine.

Allan

http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/st...FREE&cm_ite=NA

DVDs Lose Their Shine

By Sandy Brown

TheStreet.com Staff Reporter

12/8/2005 7:04 AM EST

The home-movie business could face more pressure thanks to a host of
emerging technologies being rolled out by cable operators and an
onslaught of new video applications.

As cable companies like Time Warner's (TWX:NYSE - commentary -
research - Cramer's Take) Time Warner Cable explore enhanced services
like video on demand and mobile video partnerships, some industry hard
hitters believe the DVD could soon go the way of the VHS.

Time Warner Cable Chairman Glenn Britt, speaking at a UBS Warburg
media conference in New York this week, shrugged off worries about
threats to the cable business by saying new video platforms could end
up hurting the DVD market more.

Asked if he felt the video-capable Apple iPod was a threat to cable,
Britt responded that he sees it more as "a substitute for purchasing
DVDs than as a threat to the cable industry." He also touted the
various advantages of new DVR technologies that Time Warner and rivals
like Comcast are spending millions to roll out.

If a set of DVD sales misses at major animation studios Dreamworks and
Pixar earlier this year are any indication, the lucrative DVD market
could mature more quickly than the entertainment industry, which still
enjoys nice margins on DVDs, would like.

"All kinds of distribution platforms are cutting into a reasonably
finite media consumption pie," says one media strategist, who adds
that DVRs are one piece of it and the iPod is another.

Cable companies and large content companies are partnering and rolling
out more comprehensive video services. There is little question that
mobile video is taking flight on cell phones via Apple, Cingular,
Verizon Wireless and Sprint/Nextel .

GE's NBC Universal said this week it is partnering with Apple to
provide some of its hit shows like Law & Order available for download.
Meanwhile CBS said it is partnering with Verizon to provide some of
its popular series, like CSI and Survivor, on Verizon's wireless v
chip phone this month.

Warner Music Group's Edgar Bronfman Jr., whose industry has arguably
borne most of the brunt of technological change in recent years, said
at the UBS conference this week that he sees the media business
falling into three buckets as things sort themselves out: content
providers, aggregators and distributors.

Bronfman says that content producers, like Warner music, will get
proprietary margins, while aggregators (he cited NBC as an example)
act as a service and will get service margins. But he warned that
distributors like phone companies and cable operators will be stuck
with commodity margins.

For the consumer, the choice of paying $4 to watch a movie through a
cable system vs. $19.99 to own it on DVD might increasingly compromise
the historically high margins enjoyed by the DVD producers,
aggregators and distributors looking forward.

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Derek Janssen

Allan wrote:
> http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/st...FREE&cm_ite=NA
>
> DVDs Lose Their Shine
>
> For the consumer, the choice of paying $4 to watch a movie through a
> cable system vs. $19.99 to own it on DVD might increasingly compromise
> the historically high margins enjoyed by the DVD producers,
> aggregators and distributors looking forward.

I propose a new system:
Media analysts will now pay ME $4 every time they get caught up in a new
pay-per-view technology and predict that it will someday replace DVD...

Derek Janssen (and I should be able to afford that tropical island
within a month or two)

poco

Derek Janssen wrote:
> Allan wrote:
> > http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/st...FREE&cm_ite=NA
> >
> > DVDs Lose Their Shine
> >
> > For the consumer, the choice of paying $4 to watch a movie through a
> > cable system vs. $19.99 to own it on DVD might increasingly compromise
> > the historically high margins enjoyed by the DVD producers,
> > aggregators and distributors looking forward.

> I propose a new system:
> Media analysts will now pay ME $4 every time they get caught up in a new
> pay-per-view technology and predict that it will someday replace DVD...
>
> Derek Janssen (and I should be able to afford that tropical island
> within a month or two)
> (E-Mail Removed)

This is true.
We already have the choice of renting DVDs for $2.00 to $4.00
I still buy more DVDs than I rent. Usually at $10 to $15 (not $19.99)

-----------------------------
http://auctions.shopping.yahoo.com/

NunYa Bidness

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 23:45:48 -0500, Allan
<Spamstillsucks@buffyandkantica22arestillbrianlamb .org> Gave us:

>DVDs Lose Their Shine

Cut n paste RETARD!

Goro

Allan wrote:
> http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/st...FREE&cm_ite=NA
>
> DVDs Lose Their Shine

> Asked if he felt the video-capable Apple iPod was a threat to cable,
> Britt responded that he sees it more as "a substitute for purchasing
> DVDs than as a threat to the cable industry." He also touted the
> various advantages of new DVR technologies that Time Warner and rivals
> like Comcast are spending millions to roll out.

I'm not so sure. I download DVDs and Xvids alot. I purchase the same
($ amt) in DVDs as before. I NEVER rent anymore. Downloading has
replaced my rental scheme. Downloading tv eps has redefined my tv
vieweing habits (except for sprots) as i don't have a DVR.

I think people still like to OWN things. if a person LOVES a movie,
s/he will want to own it, for the same (or similar) reason that they
sell tshirts and action figures. "Owning" an xvid isn't quite the
same. The problem is that the studios have to be careful b/c a whole
generation is being weaned on technology and maybe THEY don't care
about ownership so much.

-goro-

Apple68

On 9 Dec 2005 11:31:59 -0800, "Goro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Allan wrote:
>> http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/st...FREE&cm_ite=NA
>>
>> DVDs Lose Their Shine

>> Asked if he felt the video-capable Apple iPod was a threat to cable,
>> Britt responded that he sees it more as "a substitute for purchasing
>> DVDs than as a threat to the cable industry." He also touted the
>> various advantages of new DVR technologies that Time Warner and rivals
>> like Comcast are spending millions to roll out.

>I'm not so sure. I download DVDs and Xvids alot. I purchase the same
>($ amt) in DVDs as before. I NEVER rent anymore. Downloading has
>replaced my rental scheme. Downloading tv eps has redefined my tv
>vieweing habits (except for sprots) as i don't have a DVR.
>
>I think people still like to OWN things. if a person LOVES a movie,
>s/he will want to own it, for the same (or similar) reason that they
>sell tshirts and action figures. "Owning" an xvid isn't quite the
>same. The problem is that the studios have to be careful b/c a whole
>generation is being weaned on technology and maybe THEY don't care
>about ownership so much.
>
>-goro-

I love the DVD....I can only hope it will remain the standard for a
long time to come. I've bought waaaaay more dvd's than I ever bought
of VHS tapes. The quality is great, the extras are great, the case is
a good size....what's NOT to like?

Allan

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 14:41:23 GMT, NunYa Bidness
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 23:45:48 -0500, Allan
><Spamstillsucks@buffyandkantica22arestillbrianlam b.org> Gave us:
>
>>DVDs Lose Their Shine

> Cut n paste RETARD!

You still here? Crawl away.

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Bob

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 05:12:59 GMT, Apple68 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I love the DVD....I can only hope it will remain the standard for a
>long time to come. I've bought waaaaay more dvd's than I ever bought
>of VHS tapes. The quality is great, the extras are great, the case is
>a good size....what's NOT to like?

It's not flash memory.

--

to read things upside down.
because it forces the reader

Apple68

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 13:56:41 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Bob) wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 05:12:59 GMT, Apple68 <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>

>>I love the DVD....I can only hope it will remain the standard for a
>>long time to come. I've bought waaaaay more dvd's than I ever bought
>>of VHS tapes. The quality is great, the extras are great, the case is
>>a good size....what's NOT to like?

>It's not flash memory.

Oh yeah, just like your memory.

NunYa Bidness

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 00:54:22 -0500, Allan
<Spamstillsucks@buffyandkantica22arestillbrianlamb .org> Gave us:

>On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 14:41:23 GMT, NunYa Bidness
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 23:45:48 -0500, Allan
>><Spamstillsucks@buffyandkantica22arestillbrianla mb.org> Gave us:
>>
>>>DVDs Lose Their Shine

>> Cut n paste RETARD!

>You still here?

Your lameness still here? It shows with nearly every post.

**** off, retard boy.