Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Harry Potter 1-thru-4 Aspect Ratios

Harry Potter 1-thru-4 Aspect Ratios

Curtin/Dobbs

Went to see HP4 last weekend and it seemed to be anomorphic widescreen
(2.35-to-1). The previous 3 are 1.85, right?

Was I misreading the image, or what?

Thanks...Curtin/Dobbs

Jay G.

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 12:50:51 -0800, Curtin/Dobbs wrote:

> Went to see HP4 last weekend and it seemed to be anomorphic widescreen
> (2.35-to-1). The previous 3 are 1.85, right?

All the previous Harry Potter films were shown theatrically in 2.35:1.

http://plum.cream.org/HP/

-Jay

Bratboy

"Curtin/Dobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Went to see HP4 last weekend and it seemed to be anomorphic widescreen
> (2.35-to-1). The previous 3 are 1.85, right?
>
> Was I misreading the image, or what?
>
> Thanks...Curtin/Dobbs

According to IMDB all 4 are 2.35-to-1

Jeff Rife

Curtin/Dobbs ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> Went to see HP4 last weekend and it seemed to be anomorphic widescreen
> (2.35-to-1). The previous 3 are 1.85, right?

Nope, they are all 2.35:1...

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0241527/technical
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0295297/technical
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0304141/technical
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0330373/technical

--
Jeff Rife | "I feel an intense ambivalence, some of which
| doesn't border entirely on the negative."
|
| -- Ned Dorsey, "Ned and Stacey"

jayembee

"Curtin/Dobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Went to see HP4 last weekend and it seemed to be
> anomorphic widescreen (2.35-to-1).

Not anamorphic. Super-35.

> The previous 3 are 1.85, right?

Nope. All were 2.35:1 Super-35.

-- jayembee

Jeff Rife

jayembee ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> "Curtin/Dobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Went to see HP4 last weekend and it seemed to be
> > anomorphic widescreen (2.35-to-1).

> Not anamorphic. Super-35.

I'm pretty sure it *was* anamorphic by the time he saw it, as Super35
isn't used for prints. You don't get the anamorphic filming artifacts
(oval lens flare, etc.), but there are things which can clue you in to the
fact that a funky lens is involved in the projection.

When studios get really cheap, they'll start using 3-perf for release
prints of 1.85:1 movies, and maybe 2-perf for 2.35:1, and force all theater
owners to upgrade their equipment. ;->

--
Jeff Rife | Coach: What's the story, Norm?

| Norm: Thirsty guy walks into a bar. You
| finish it.

jayembee

Jeff Rife <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> jayembee ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
>> "Curtin/Dobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Went to see HP4 last weekend and it seemed to be
>>> anomorphic widescreen (2.35-to-1).

>> Not anamorphic. Super-35.

> I'm pretty sure it *was* anamorphic by the time he saw it,
> as Super35 isn't used for prints. You don't get the
> anamorphic filming artifacts (oval lens flare, etc.), but
> there are things which can clue you in to the
> fact that a funky lens is involved in the projection.

All true, but I thought it was worth being pedantic.

-- jayembee

Jeff Rife

jayembee ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> >> Not anamorphic. Super-35.

> > I'm pretty sure it *was* anamorphic by the time he saw it,
> > as Super35 isn't used for prints. You don't get the
> > anamorphic filming artifacts (oval lens flare, etc.), but
> > there are things which can clue you in to the
> > fact that a funky lens is involved in the projection.

> All true, but I thought it was worth being pedantic.

I think you just aspired to pedantic, while I went overboard into full-on
worship of it. I was bored...sue me.

--
Jeff Rife | "Only one human captain has ever survived battle
| with a Minbari fleet...he is behind me...you are
| in front of me. If you value your lives,
| be somewhere else."
| -- Ambassador Delenn, 2260

When: Spiderman 2, Harry Potter, Return of the King MarkZimmerman DVD Video 13 07-27-2004 10:26 PM
Harry Potter Senti Computer Support 2 01-01-2004 03:42 AM
Harry Potter 2: is 'full screen open matte or P&S? Martin O'Brien DVD Video 6 10-26-2003 03:01 AM
HARRY POTTER = HENRY POSNER Film Shooter Digital Photography 20 08-25-2003 04:49 PM
Re: Harry Potter $12.95 at Borders The Green Troll DVD Video 0 06-29-2003 06:22 AM

Advertisments