Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > rumor: Nintendo Revolution to use proprietary 12 gig DVD

rumor: Nintendo Revolution to use proprietary 12 gig DVD

Air Raid

___________________
"The Revolution will initially use a proprietary disc standard
developed between Nintendo and Panasonic. It uses 12 gig capacity
discs. However, with a hardware attachment planned, it is quite
possible more DVD standards will be supported in the future."
_____________________

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showth...d=1#post640533
http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=74021

kaydigi

"Air Raid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> ___________________
> "The Revolution will initially use a proprietary disc standard
> developed between Nintendo and Panasonic. It uses 12 gig capacity
> discs. However, with a hardware attachment planned, it is quite
> possible more DVD standards will be supported in the future."
> _____________________

Always one console behind.

WinField

Another take on all consoles - ahead and behind:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27976

winf

kaydigi wrote:
> "Air Raid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
>>___________________
>>"The Revolution will initially use a proprietary disc standard
>>developed between Nintendo and Panasonic. It uses 12 gig capacity
>>discs. However, with a hardware attachment planned, it is quite
>>possible more DVD standards will be supported in the future."
>>_____________________

> Always one console behind.

docdude316

kaydigi wrote:
> "Air Raid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
>>___________________
>>"The Revolution will initially use a proprietary disc standard
>>developed between Nintendo and Panasonic. It uses 12 gig capacity
>>discs. However, with a hardware attachment planned, it is quite
>>possible more DVD standards will be supported in the future."
>>_____________________

> Always one console behind.

Nintendo's Revolution will be capable of playing DVD's right off the
bat, but to avoid some of the licensing fees they are employing a scheme
like Microsoft did with the Xbox. The user will have to buy some small
attachment to enable the DVD playback.

Joshua Zyber

"docdude316" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:a96kf.3631$Y%(E-Mail Removed) m...
>> Always one console behind.

> Nintendo's Revolution will be capable of playing DVD's right off the
> bat, but to avoid some of the licensing fees they are employing a
> scheme like Microsoft did with the Xbox. The user will have to buy
> some small attachment to enable the DVD playback.

The Revolution is the only of the three next-gen consoles that will not
offer any sort of high definition playback, either for games or video.
Considering that they also removed the component video output capability
from late models of the Gamecube, Nintendo has simply given up
attempting to market towards adult consumers and is only interested in
producing a low-rent product for the kiddies.

jordanlund@gmail.com

The problem with the component output on the Gamecube was that they
only sold the component cables online through their website as well. So
when it came time to justify the removal of the component output their
argument was "well, nobody bought the cables"...

DUH! I'd wager the vast majority of Cube owners never even knew
component cables were available because they never saw them in a store.

- Jordan

David Eckard

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 02:20:53 UTC, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> DUH! I'd wager the vast majority of Cube owners never even knew
> component cables were available because they never saw them in a store.

You might have to define store for them... the online term is brick
and morter

--
David Eckard
Rot13 this address (E-Mail Removed)

evilbastard9@gmail.com

What percentage of owners of the new consoles will even have the
equipment to display HD content? I am willing to bet it will be less
than 10%. By the time HD televisions become common place, we probably
will be two more consoles ahead.

Darrel Christenson

> What percentage of owners of the new consoles will even have the
> equipment to display HD content?

Plugged my Gamecube into component video in #2
the day I bought it when they first dropped the
price to $149 and Resident Evil the remake came
out (I got the cables at GameStop).

Likewise when my friend brough his Xbox over he
brought component cables so we could play his
games in hi def as well.

Would never consider a console without some kind
of hi def output and some suitable games available.

drc

Problems with 7206 vxr trying to VLAN a Gig port to an HP 4000M Gig port over fiber Great Deals Cisco 1 09-10-2007 11:32 AM
is there much performance difference between a 2.2 gig P4 and a 1.8 gig Celeron? grappletech Computer Information 2 03-09-2007 10:36 PM
Linksys GIG v's Cisco Gig Gary Cisco 3 10-15-2006 01:04 AM
Nintendo Revolution will be king @ BonaFideReviews Silverstrand Front Page News 0 11-24-2005 06:24 AM
Breaking news: Nintendo Revolution uses standard DVD media DVD Video 2 05-21-2005 12:18 AM

Advertisments