Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > BluRay's almost here

BluRay's almost here

Goro

Looks like we'll find out a whole lot more in January.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...DIA-BLURAY.xml

"At CES, you're likely to hear some announcements from a number of
companies as to when you'll see our products on the market," Parsons
told a group of analysts, industry members and reporters gathered at
the product demonstration at News Corp.'s (NWS.N: Quote, Profile,
Research) 20th Century Fox lot. The show is in Las Vegas.

-goro-

Biz

This is the exact same line we got last year b4 CES, and they showed players
at CES last year as well...so dont hold your breath...

"Goro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Looks like we'll find out a whole lot more in January.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...DIA-BLURAY.xml

> "At CES, you're likely to hear some announcements from a number of
> companies as to when you'll see our products on the market," Parsons
> told a group of analysts, industry members and reporters gathered at
> the product demonstration at News Corp.'s (NWS.N: Quote, Profile,
> Research) 20th Century Fox lot. The show is in Las Vegas.
>
> -goro-

Alpha

I saw another article that claimed the full details of the copy protection
scheme would not be decided until June 2006.

WinField

Old codecs to be (re)used on new DVD format?

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-5...feed&subj=zdnn

[quickie quote]

"Last week, studio giant Sony Pictures quietly voted for "none of the
above," and took a swipe at the new codec formats. The new advanced
codecs aren't immediately necessary for discs released in Sony's
high-capacity Blu-ray format, Sony Pictures executives said in an
interview with CNET News.com, and the studio would instead use the
11-year-old MPEG-2 video codec used on today's DVDs."

- winfield

Goro wrote:
> Looks like we'll find out a whole lot more in January.
>
> http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...DIA-BLURAY.xml
>
> "At CES, you're likely to hear some announcements from a number of
> companies as to when you'll see our products on the market," Parsons
> told a group of analysts, industry members and reporters gathered at
> the product demonstration at News Corp.'s (NWS.N: Quote, Profile,
> Research) 20th Century Fox lot. The show is in Las Vegas.
>
> -goro-

Goro

WinField wrote:
> Old codecs to be (re)used on new DVD format?
>
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-5...feed&subj=zdnn
>
> [quickie quote]
>
> "Last week, studio giant Sony Pictures quietly voted for "none of the
> above," and took a swipe at the new codec formats. The new advanced
> codecs aren't immediately necessary for discs released in Sony's
> high-capacity Blu-ray format, Sony Pictures executives said in an
> interview with CNET News.com, and the studio would instead use the
> 11-year-old MPEG-2 video codec used on today's DVDs."
>
> - winfield

Damb. I thot they were going to be using H.264?

-goro-