Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Song of the South on DVD, any new rumors?

Song of the South on DVD, any new rumors?

Derek Janssen

Kimba W. Lion wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 09:48:39 -0700, "Bratboy"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>>They should just have Whoopi Goldberg or Kanye West introduce the film so
>>>that we can view it in its historical context.

>>Whoopie I could definitly agree on for introducing it from historical
>>perspective.

> The OP was being sarcastic, wasn't he?

(Well, he was, given Whoopi's legendary race-paranoia, but then, we ARE
talking about the studio that's kept Whoopi as a personal pet ever since
they thought we liked "Sister Act"...)

> I mean, nobody actually takes
> Whoopi & company seriously, do they? That's why on the Looney Tunes DVDs

(Which, ironically, haven't even *had* any black-depiction toons yet,
and only originally put the disclaimers on for the German/Japanese WWII
toons...)

> they FORCE you to sit through her apology for the dark ages of mankind,
> isn't it?

Actually, as noted in the JHM article (which I guess NOBODY READ!!),
Disney *is* trying to go for the "Historical Context" angle, which's how
we originally got that animated "John Henry" short which was going to
show with the '96 revival that never happened--

Back then, James Earl Jones was tapped to do the "Joel Chandler Harris
is a rich black-cultural-legacy" bit, but supposedly they're now back to
square one, and using Bill Cosby suddenly doesn't sound as hot an idea
as it did a couple years ago....

Derek Janssen (look, do I have to post the link again?...Do I??)

Rich

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 17:36:07 +0000, Kimba W. Lion <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 09:48:39 -0700, "Bratboy"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> They should just have Whoopi Goldberg or Kanye West introduce the film so
>>> that we can view it in its historical context.

>>Whoopie I could definitly agree on for introducing it from historical
>>perspective.

>The OP was being sarcastic, wasn't he? I mean, nobody actually takes
>Whoopi & company seriously, do they? That's why on the Looney Tunes DVDs
>they FORCE you to sit through her apology for the dark ages of mankind,
>isn't it?
>
>Why are we in such bad shape that we need the likes of Whoopi Goldberg to
>tell us what is GoodThink?

Without people like Goldberg(!) and Oprah, where would stupid white
trash get their dimestore psychological advice?
-Rich

Curtin/Dobbs

"Kimba W. Lion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 09:48:39 -0700, "Bratboy"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> They should just have Whoopi Goldberg or Kanye West introduce the film
>>> so
>>> that we can view it in its historical context.

>>Whoopie I could definitly agree on for introducing it from historical
>>perspective.

> The OP was being sarcastic, wasn't he?

Yeah, I'll take the rap on that.

I mean, nobody actually takes
> Whoopi & company seriously, do they?

Unfortunately, a lot of people do, John Kerry among them.

I don't mind having contextual introductions for films or TV shows, it might
help out some insensivitve, uneducated people and might get more product
released for those of us who "get it" but want to see the films/TV shows,
anyway. We shouldn't be held captive by cultural gatekeepers, however well
meaning.

That's why on the Looney Tunes DVDs
> they FORCE you to sit through her apology for the dark ages of mankind,
> isn't it?
>
> Why are we in such bad shape that we need the likes of Whoopi Goldberg to
> tell us what is GoodThink?

I guess we are. Why Whoopie? Why didn't they use someone respectable?

....Curtin/Dobbs

Curtin/Dobbs

"Derek Janssen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VvKjf.9470$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Kimba W. Lion wrote:

>>>Whoopie I could definitly agree on for introducing it from historical
>>>perspective.

>> The OP was being sarcastic, wasn't he?

> (Well, he was, given Whoopi's legendary race-paranoia, but then, we ARE
> talking about the studio that's kept Whoopi as a personal pet ever since
> they thought we liked "Sister Act"...)
>
>> I mean, nobody actually takes
>> Whoopi & company seriously, do they? That's why on the Looney Tunes DVDs

> (Which, ironically, haven't even *had* any black-depiction toons yet

Is "Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarves" on DVD, yet? The introduction on that
would last longer than the actual cartoon, itself. The "danger" with "Coal
Black...," and some other product, is that even though one can be sensitive
to and cognizant of the fact that it traffics in stereotypes, it's still a
funny and artistically inventive cartoon. What to do?

....Curtin/Dobbs

,
> and only originally put the disclaimers on for the German/Japanese WWII
> toons...)
>
>> they FORCE you to sit through her apology for the dark ages of mankind,
>> isn't it?

> Actually, as noted in the JHM article (which I guess NOBODY READ!!),
> Disney *is* trying to go for the "Historical Context" angle, which's how
> we originally got that animated "John Henry" short which was going to show
> with the '96 revival that never happened--
>
> Back then, James Earl Jones was tapped to do the "Joel Chandler Harris is
> a rich black-cultural-legacy" bit, but supposedly they're now back to
> square one, and using Bill Cosby suddenly doesn't sound as hot an idea as
> it did a couple years ago....
>
> Derek Janssen (look, do I have to post the link again?...Do I??)
> (E-Mail Removed)

Bratboy

"Curtin/Dobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Kimba W. Lion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>Whoopie I could definitly agree on for introducing it from historical
>>>perspective.

>> The OP was being sarcastic, wasn't he?

> Yeah, I'll take the rap on that.
>
> I mean, nobody actually takes
>> Whoopi & company seriously, do they?

> Unfortunately, a lot of people do, John Kerry among them.
>
> I don't mind having contextual introductions for films or TV shows, it
> might help out some insensivitve, uneducated people and might get more
> product released for those of us who "get it" but want to see the films/TV
> shows, anyway. We shouldn't be held captive by cultural gatekeepers,
> however well meaning.
>
> That's why on the Looney Tunes DVDs
>> they FORCE you to sit through her apology for the dark ages of mankind,
>> isn't it?
>>
>> Why are we in such bad shape that we need the likes of Whoopi Goldberg to
>> tell us what is GoodThink?

> I guess we are. Why Whoopie? Why didn't they use someone respectable?
>

> ...Curtin/Dobbs

Who knows, maybe they liked how she did the voice for Gia in Capt Planet
hehe

One-Shot Scot

"Curtin/Dobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Is "Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarves" on DVD, yet? The introduction on
> that would last longer than the actual cartoon, itself. The "danger" with
> "Coal Black...," and some other product, is that even though one can
> be sensitive to and cognizant of the fact that it traffics in stereotypes,
> it's still a funny and artistically inventive cartoon. What to do?

Now that was the best Easter Egg of all time! It was on the bootleg _Song of
the South_ DVD that is usually sold on eBay this time of year. (They make
great Christmas gifts.) Although I can't remember how to get into it right
now. It seems to me that you double-click on one of the Johnny Mercer titles
in the juke box section. And what a great cartoon it is:

Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs!!! That mean old queen had everything.
(Judging from the hoards of tires, sugar and coffee that old gal had,
I'd say that this cartoon was made around 1943-44.)

This thing is a howl! And it's a Bob Clampett cartoon, no less, with a
Johnny Mercer soundtrack that really bops!

After drinking from her bottle of Eli Whitney Cotton Gin and eating from
her box of Chattanooga Chew-Chews, the old queen sings "Magic mirror on
the wall, send me a prince about six feet tall."

And sure enough, that jitter-bugging, dope dealing pimp, "Prince
Chawmin", shows up in his pimpmobile. Wearing a zoot suit with a belt in the
back!. But So White gets his attention (he wants to add her to his stable of
bitches) and this ****es off the old queen. So she calls Murder Inc. to
black out So White. The side of the mob car reads:

Murder Inc.
We Rub Out Anyone $1.00
Midgets -- 1/2 Price.
Japs -- FREE

At the end it says:

Merrie Melodies
"That's all Folks!"
Produced by Leon Schlesinger
Released by Warner Bros. Pictures Incorporated.

But I don't remember this cartoon being on any of the Warner DVDs. Maybe
they're saving the best for last.

One-Shot Scot

"One-Shot Scot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "Curtin/Dobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> Now that was the best Easter Egg of all time! It was on the bootleg
> _Song of the South_ DVD that is usually sold on eBay this time of year.
> (They make great Christmas gifts.) Although I can't remember how to
> get into it right now.

I found the instructions. Put your _Song of the South_ DVD in the player and
do the following to play _Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs_:

From the Main Menu, highlight Extras and press Enter.

Highlight "1946 Radio Plug With Johnny Mercer" and press Enter.

Highlight the top right song title, "Everybody's Got a Laughing Place" and
press Enter.

The cursor will drop to the bottom right item. Press the up key twice to
highlight "Everybody's Got a Laughing Place" again.

Press Enter.

_Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs_ will start playing.

I just checked eBay and there are 6 pages of _Song of the South_ DVDs for
sale. I can't promise that all of them have the Easter Egg of _Coal Black
and de Sebben Dwarfs_ cartoon, but the two different ones I bought last year
had it. Keep in mind that all of the DVDs are bootlegs and most likely made
from PAL sources and then converted to NTSC. This means that they will be
sped up by 4%. There was one NTSC LaserDisc which was released by Disney
somewhere in the Orient which is the source material for some bootlegs and
that might be worth paying a little extra.

jayembee

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Without people like Goldberg(!) and Oprah, where would
> stupid white trash get their dimestore psychological advice?

And if there's anyone who knows where stupid white trash
would get their advice, it's Rich.

-- jayembee

Richard C.

"Walter Traprock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Bratboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I was wondering what the word was on SotS. I seem to recall a rumor back
>> bit about Disney relenting and putting it out but nada, info wise, in
>> some
>> time. Is back on the shelf or never got off the ground? Don't know about
>> anyone else but Im damned tired of the stupid mantra "think of the
>> children"
>> we have to put up with. Sorry for the mini rant but am so fed up with
>> this.
>> Why must I be forced to allow children, which I choose not to have,
>> control
>> MY life and veiwing pleasure? Then again I never have understood the
>> whole
>> tax breaks if you have kids deal either. Seems to me they, the parents,
>> had
>> the fun of creating & its their creations that need things taxes pay for
>> so
>> why should they get a break instead of me? Why should I get a heavier tax
>> burden when I CHOOSE to not burden the status quo by increasing the
>> surplus
>> population? Why are my choices limited because of someone elses children
>> just might see it. Again sorry for rant, just saw a report on the cable
>> alacart and they just had to mention that "Oh but ppl with children might
>> have to pay more for kid oriented stuff and thats not fair. Think of the
>> children", which to me is very fair.

> This is a RACIST movie, i've seen it. Now I know why the Klan used it
> for recruitment rallies. Zip-a-da-doo-day is definitely designed to
> incite hatred of African Americans, and the "harmless" old man in
> the cabin was designed to encourage abuse of boys, and the rebound
> attacks of whites on blacks, a frightening situation. walt disney must
> be burning in hell for his crimes. And showing Blacks with a redneck
> accent is the ultimate offense.

I asume you are attempting humor?

SONG OF THE SOUTH: Asinine Disney Censorship! One-Shot Scot DVD Video 25 12-10-2004 03:21 AM
Song Of The South Hillen120 DVD Video 6 05-31-2004 03:15 AM
Anyone interested in Disneys The Song of the South Glenn DVD Video 8 02-23-2004 07:40 AM
Song of the South: Film clips on Alice in Wonderland. Scot Gardner DVD Video 4 01-19-2004 01:54 PM
REQ Song of the South Stuff DVD Video 12 09-30-2003 08:38 PM

Advertisments