Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Texas suing Sony now, too

Texas suing Sony now, too

Goro

SO now it's California, New York, Texas. The other states can't be too
far behind.

-goro-

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051121/tc_nm/sony_texas_dc

HOUSTON (Reuters) - Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott filed a civil
lawsuit on Monday against Sony BMG Music Entertainment (6758.T) for
hiding "spyware" software on its compact discs in a bid to thwart music
copying.

According to the lawsuit filed in Travis County, several of the
company's music compact discs require customers to download Sony's
media players if they want to listen to the CDs on a computer.

Software included with that media player "remains hidden and active"
after installation, the Attorney General's office said, and makes users
vulnerable to security risks and possible identity theft.

Sony said on its Web site that it had recalled all CDs that were
installed with its XCP technology designed to prevent illegal music
copying, Abbott said, but Texas investigators were able to purchase
several of the CDs at Austin retailers on Sunday.

Texas is seeking civil penalties of $100,000 per violation of the
state's Consumer Protection Against Computer Spyware Act, which was
enacted earlier this year.

"Sony has engaged in a technological version of cloak and dagger deceit
against consumers by hiding secret files on their computers," Abbott
said.

Sony announced on Friday that customers could exchange CDs that
contained XCP software for new copies without the spyware, and download
software designed to fix the security vulnerabilities.

"While we don't comment on pending litigation we are cooperating fully
with the attorney general's office," a spokesman said on Monday.

The CDs, from 52 popular artists, including Ray Charles, Frank Sinatra,
Louis Armstrong and Celine Dion, prompt a user agreement to appear on
consumers' computer screens.

Users are required to accept the agreement in order to play the CDs on
their computer, and Sony's media player is automatically downloaded to
their computers with the hidden files.

Earlier this month, a software virus was detected in a mass email
designed to exploit the Sony BMG software and wreak havoc on computers.
The "malware" program enables hackers to access computers by bypassing
firewall protections.

Separately, the Electronic Frontier Foundation said it had filed a
lawsuit in Los Angeles County against Sony BMG to pay for damage caused
by XCP and SunnComm MediaMax software it used on as many as 24 million
CDs.

The XCP software is extremely difficult to remove, EFF said, "often
leaving reformatting the computer's hard drive as the only solution."

The MediaMax software also installs files on users' computers even if
they decline to accept SunnComm's terms in a licensing agreement. That
software allows the company to track customers' listening habits
despite denials the company collects such data.

Impmon

On 22 Nov 2005 07:28:37 -0800, "Goro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>SO now it's California, New York, Texas. The other states can't be too
>far behind.

All those ill gotten gain RIAA collected by suing illegal music
swapper are going to look like pocket changes once USA is done raping
Sony.

We fight the high price of music CD by shairing them, we get billed
for a few grands.

Sony fights back by slipping spyware to prevent shairing, they get
billed for a few billions.

Is there a teapot and kettle in here somewhere?
Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.

Rich

More Sony horror:

Sony's rootkit uninstaller is *really* dangerous
Following on the November 13 research about Sony's rootkit
"uninstaller" leaving your computer vulnerable to attacks like
rebooting it by inserting malicious code in a web-page, Princeton
researchers Ed Felten and Alex Halderman announces that they have
discovered far more serious problems with the software and warn
against installing it at all, promising prompt full disclosure (they
publis this the next day, along with some instructions for defending
yourself if you've run the uninstaller)

> [...]

>designed to exploit the Sony BMG software and wreak havoc on computers.
>The "malware" program enables hackers to access computers by bypassing
>firewall protections.
>
>Separately, the Electronic Frontier Foundation said it had filed a
>lawsuit in Los Angeles County against Sony BMG to pay for damage caused
>by XCP and SunnComm MediaMax software it used on as many as 24 million
>CDs.
>
>The XCP software is extremely difficult to remove, EFF said, "often
>leaving reformatting the computer's hard drive as the only solution."
>
>The MediaMax software also installs files on users' computers even if
>they decline to accept SunnComm's terms in a licensing agreement. That
>software allows the company to track customers' listening habits
>despite denials the company collects such data.

Bob

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:22:02 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>More Sony horror:
>
> Sony's rootkit uninstaller is *really* dangerous

I nominate Sony for the Darwin Award. It not only shot itself in the
balls, it took out anyone stupid enough to buy Sony products.

The world is going to be a better place for having removed a criminal
organization and stupid people at the same time.

Maybe we should call it the SuperDarwin Award.

--

BOYCOTT SONY!

SONY IS TRYING TO TAKE OVER YOUR COMPUTER!

HOMELAND SECURITY TOLD SONY TO CEASE AND DESIST!

YOU DO THE SAME - BOYCOTT SONY!

Goro

Rich wrote:
> More Sony horror:
>
> Sony's rootkit uninstaller is *really* dangerous
> Following on the November 13 research about Sony's rootkit
> "uninstaller" leaving your computer vulnerable to attacks like
> rebooting it by inserting malicious code in a web-page, Princeton
> researchers Ed Felten and Alex Halderman announces that they have
> discovered far more serious problems with the software and warn
> against installing it at all, promising prompt full disclosure (they
> publis this the next day, along with some instructions for defending
> yourself if you've run the uninstaller)

This is actually relatively "old" news as even SOny has acknowedged teh
problems with the "uninstaller" (it's actually an ActiveX control) and
has removed it from their website. THey are providing (or getting
ready to provide) a true uninstaller.

btw, the security hole that teh first uninstaller created is far worse
than allowing website to reboot your machine; webpages can run ANY
unsigned code on your computer.

-goro-

Goro

Bob wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:22:02 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >More Sony horror:
> >
> > Sony's rootkit uninstaller is *really* dangerous

> I nominate Sony for the Darwin Award. It not only shot itself in the
> balls, it took out anyone stupid enough to buy Sony products.
>
> The world is going to be a better place for having removed a criminal
> organization and stupid people at the same time.
>
> Maybe we should call it the SuperDarwin Award.

Yes, the amazing thing is that SOny fscked up SO much that even the
general public is starting to gain awareness about "rootkits".

(when the story first broke and i tried to explain this to some
friends, they gave me basicaly a *shrug*. Later, when the media
started running stories on it, they started asking me about it)

-goro-

Tim Scott Mathews

Frankly, after this, I'm surprised anyone would ever buy from Sony again.
My feeling is simply that they are completely untrustworty. I cannot
believe that there's not some sort of law against this sort of thing.
Disgusting, absolutely disgusting and I would not by any Sony product, EVER
again for ANY price! The best thing the world could do would be to just
let them fade away and let that event be a lesson to anyone else to NEVER
try something like that again.

"Goro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Rich wrote:
>> More Sony horror:
>>
>> Sony's rootkit uninstaller is *really* dangerous
>> Following on the November 13 research about Sony's rootkit
>> "uninstaller" leaving your computer vulnerable to attacks like
>> rebooting it by inserting malicious code in a web-page, Princeton
>> researchers Ed Felten and Alex Halderman announces that they have
>> discovered far more serious problems with the software and warn
>> against installing it at all, promising prompt full disclosure (they
>> publis this the next day, along with some instructions for defending
>> yourself if you've run the uninstaller)
>>

> This is actually relatively "old" news as even SOny has acknowedged teh
> problems with the "uninstaller" (it's actually an ActiveX control) and
> has removed it from their website. THey are providing (or getting
> ready to provide) a true uninstaller.
>
> btw, the security hole that teh first uninstaller created is far worse
> than allowing website to reboot your machine; webpages can run ANY
> unsigned code on your computer.
>
> -goro-

Black Locust

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"Goro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> SO now it's California, New York, Texas. The other states can't be too
> far behind.
>
> -goro-
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051121/tc_nm/sony_texas_dc

Death to the Gaystation 3! Nintendo power!

<No, I'm not being sarcastic. I really do hate Sony.>