Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: Dolby Digital Surround EX flag on Star Wars Episodes 1-3 DVDs

Re: Dolby Digital Surround EX flag on Star Wars Episodes 1-3 DVDs

Mark

"Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:...
> hi
>
> yes i have just noticed this on my R2 copy of revenge of the sith.its the
> same
>
> did you manage to get a surround back channel out your amp? i have yamaha
> rx657, and i heard noting.
> interestingly, the THX trailier is ex, flaged, and my amp had not problem
> identifying that
>

> "Tony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've got the R1 Star Wars prequel DVDs and they all claim to be in Dolby
>> Digital Surround EX. My Sony DB-1080 amp is set to switch the rear centre
>> speaker on automatically when it detects the EX flag in the soundtrack,
>> but it only does this for Attack of the Clones. For The Phantom Menace
>> and Revenge of the Sith I have to tell the amp to use the rear centre
>> speaker explicitly as it just outputs normal DD5.1.
>>
>> Has anyone else noticed a similar problem? Does it exist on the R2 DVDs
>> as well? Is the EX flag missing or is my DVD player and/or amp just
>> rubbish? The original trilogy DVDs (also R1) all seem to have the EX flag
>> and my amp has no problem with them.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tony

Joshua Zyber

news:FEwcf.116$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> yes i have just noticed this on my R2 copy of revenge of the sith.its
>> the same
>>
>> did you manage to get a surround back channel out your amp? i have
>> yamaha rx657, and i heard noting.
>> interestingly, the THX trailier is ex, flaged, and my amp had not
>> problem identifying that

The movie was mixed for EX, but the DVD is not properly flagged. You
have to manually engage EX decoding on your receiver.

I find that it's usually best to just leave EX on all the time. Even
movies not specifically mixed for it will often matrix well into the
center back speaker.

Jim Johnson

I leave mine on to, but it is kind of odd that the THX trailer has a flag
that my receiver recognizes and the movie does not.

Jim

"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MTwcf.6341$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:FEwcf.116$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> yes i have just noticed this on my R2 copy of revenge of the sith.its
>>> the same
>>>
>>> did you manage to get a surround back channel out your amp? i have
>>> yamaha rx657, and i heard noting.
>>> interestingly, the THX trailier is ex, flaged, and my amp had not
>>> problem identifying that

> The movie was mixed for EX, but the DVD is not properly flagged. You have
> to manually engage EX decoding on your receiver.
>
> I find that it's usually best to just leave EX on all the time. Even
> movies not specifically mixed for it will often matrix well into the
> center back speaker.

Jim Johnson

along the same lines, I've noticed something else I've wondered about. Aside
from the star wars disks, I have a good many disk that are EX encoded. When
I play these the little graphic that most receivers have that displays the
speakers engaged does not show the center back speakers engaged, but the
receiver has recognized the flag and the decoder is on and working. The only
disk I have that show all speakers (in the graphic) are the DTS 6.1 discrete
ones. I just got Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which is EX and it lights
up all the speakers in the graphic like the 6.1 discrete ones and does
engage the decoder. No big deal - just something I've wondered about. My
system is a 7.1 one by the way if that matters.