Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD shrinking

DVD shrinking

jazu

Hi
If you backup 8GB dvd into 4.7Gb disk, what dvd feature suffers the most?
You getting say 60% compression. You getting not good picture or sound as on
original dvd?
thanks

Baz

The sound isn't altered.
Of course you'll lose some video quality
Depends on your eyes, your TV etc whether it's good enough for you.
Try it and see, blanks are pretty cheap.

"jazu" <nospam> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> If you backup 8GB dvd into 4.7Gb disk, what dvd feature suffers the most?
> You getting say 60% compression. You getting not good picture or sound as
> on original dvd?
> thanks

Bob

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 19:26:00 -0800, "jazu" <nospam> wrote:

>Hi
>If you backup 8GB dvd into 4.7Gb disk, what dvd feature suffers the most?
>You getting say 60% compression. You getting not good picture or sound as on
>original dvd?

Supposedly compressing as much as 50% does not affect video quality
enough to be noticable on a conventional 19" TV. Some people claim you
can't notice anything up to a conventional 27" TV.

But when you are viewing on a 36" or 42", that much compression is
claimed to be noticable. Some say you can't go below 60%, some say
even higher.

If you re-author out all the extraneous material and keep only the
main titles and one sound track, then you should get 60% or better.

one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore
-- George Bernard Shaw

Biz

The sound is untouched. Many people claim they cannot tell the difference
between a single layer copy and the original. I typically remove all the
extras, all non-English subtitles and audio tracks, then shrink to keep the
compression as low as possible..I also use Deep analysis and AEC...

"jazu" <nospam> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> If you backup 8GB dvd into 4.7Gb disk, what dvd feature suffers the most?
> You getting say 60% compression. You getting not good picture or sound as

on
> original dvd?
> thanks

Freddy

I have used DVD shrink to go to 50% or so, and the quality holds up OK.
I have a 32 inch flat screen. Ideally, I like to keep the feature movie
at 75%, but if I want extras then sometimes that can't be done.

Freddy

cmccab01

Like Freddie, I also use DVD Shrink for compression. On my 32" Philips
TV, I've noticed literally no loss. Sound is great, picture is great.
I haven't compared anything on a larger screen. A quick trip to Best
Buy with a recorded disc would answer any questions though.

Bob

On 1 Nov 2005 17:31:16 -0800, "cmccab01" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Like Freddie, I also use DVD Shrink for compression. On my 32" Philips
>TV, I've noticed literally no loss. Sound is great, picture is great.

What is the compression percentage?

Shrinking icons Roedy Green Java 3 01-30-2006 08:42 AM
2503 & shrinking processor memory Christoph Gartmann Cisco 13 12-03-2005 03:11 PM
How to recording TV to DVD using computer, then shrinking it. zwixxx Computer Support 0 05-12-2005 09:17 AM
Web page width is shrinking/scrunching on some machines Eric ASP .Net 4 06-30-2004 03:18 PM
w98se - manual registry shrinking Greg M Computer Support 8 12-09-2003 07:58 PM

Advertisments