Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Netflix???

Netflix???

Is it my imagination that the Netflix movies are not of the quality of
regulr rentals?

Biz

"k" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:Xns96FF3F672E7Ak@207.217.125.201...
> Is it my imagination that the Netflix movies are not of the quality of
> regulr rentals?

Yes it is your imagination...

lilydied@aintitcoolmail.com

k wrote:
> Is it my imagination that the Netflix movies are not of the quality of
> regulr rentals?

The process of authoring a DVD movie is quite involved and expensive.
Netflix invests a lot of money into having new inferior masters created
to use instead of the widely available standard masters. Once the
master has been made (called a "glass master"), production costs to
create disks for consumers to use is relatively the same, regardless of
the quality of the master. This is why Netflix rental costs are so
high, because they are going to the trouble of re-encoding movies for
no reason.

"We could just use the high quality versions that are already there,"
said a high-ranking Netflix executive, "but instead we waste a lot of
resourses to have new versions made just for us. In this way, we can
provide inferior product for higher prices. We could be more
competitive and efficient, and save money for the customer while
increasing our profits, but we do it this way instead. No one really
notices (except the people with active imaginations)."

Comcast Newsgroup

> k wrote:
>
>>Is it my imagination that the Netflix movies are not of the quality of
>>regulr rentals?

> The process of authoring a DVD movie is quite involved and expensive.
> Netflix invests a lot of money into having new inferior masters created
> to use instead of the widely available standard masters. Once the
> master has been made (called a "glass master"), production costs to
> create disks for consumers to use is relatively the same, regardless of
> the quality of the master. This is why Netflix rental costs are so
> high, because they are going to the trouble of re-encoding movies for
> no reason.
>
> "We could just use the high quality versions that are already there,"
> said a high-ranking Netflix executive, "but instead we waste a lot of
> resourses to have new versions made just for us. In this way, we can
> provide inferior product for higher prices. We could be more
> competitive and efficient, and save money for the customer while
> increasing our profits, but we do it this way instead. No one really
> notices (except the people with active imaginations)."

All sarcasm aside, does anyone know the rationale for Netflix having
specific versions of some DVDs made specially for it?

BB

Derek Janssen

Comcast Newsgroup wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> k wrote:
>>
>>> Is it my imagination that the Netflix movies are not of the quality of
>>> regulr rentals?

>> "We could just use the high quality versions that are already there,"
>> said a high-ranking Netflix executive, "but instead we waste a lot of
>> resourses to have new versions made just for us. In this way, we can
>> provide inferior product for higher prices. We could be more
>> competitive and efficient, and save money for the customer while
>> increasing our profits, but we do it this way instead. No one really
>> notices (except the people with active imaginations)."

> All sarcasm aside, does anyone know the rationale for Netflix having
> specific versions of some DVDs made specially for it?

Most of the conspiracizing was spun out of the real fact that Netflix
recommissions two-sided Warner TV-boxset disks in one-sided rental form,
to reduce the risk of confused-customer scratching by half--
Also, some rare small-company titles (eg. Anchor Bay) will recommission
special rental-only's for titles that Netflix missed the first time around.

Any other conditions of "exclusive" Netflix versions come under said
auspices of warrior-fanboy imaginations.

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)