Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > There's no doubt that letterboxing is a negative factor

There's no doubt that letterboxing is a negative factor

It may be necessary to letterbox a movie in order to see the entire frame,
but it isn't a good thing. I've never seen a letterboxed picture in a movie
theater. I'd certainly ask for my money back if a movie were to be
presented that way. Apparently theater owners agree with me, since they
always fill the screen, regardless of what difference there might be between
the aspect ratio of the screen and that of the film.

When I watch a 2.35:1 letterboxed picture on my 4:3 television I'm acutely
aware of the arbitrary cut in the vertical direction. When you see a head
cut off that clearly could have been shown in its entirety you have a
slightly unpleasant reaction. At least I do.

Norm Strong

Aphelion

> When I watch a 2.35:1 letterboxed picture on my 4:3 television I'm acutely
> aware of the arbitrary cut in the vertical direction. When you see a head
> cut off that clearly could have been shown in its entirety you have a
> slightly unpleasant reaction. At least I do.

Total idiot or troll?

Aphelion

Justin

Aphelion wrote on [Fri, 21 Oct 2005 16:20:16 GMT]:
>> When I watch a 2.35:1 letterboxed picture on my 4:3 television I'm acutely
>> aware of the arbitrary cut in the vertical direction. When you see a head
>> cut off that clearly could have been shown in its entirety you have a
>> slightly unpleasant reaction. At least I do.

> Total idiot or troll?

Yes.

Matt

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It may be necessary to letterbox a movie in order to see the entire frame,
> but it isn't a good thing. I've never seen a letterboxed picture in a
> movie theater. I'd certainly ask for my money back if a movie were to be
> presented that way. Apparently theater owners agree with me, since they
> always fill the screen, regardless of what difference there might be
> between the aspect ratio of the screen and that of the film.
>
> When I watch a 2.35:1 letterboxed picture on my 4:3 television I'm acutely
> aware of the arbitrary cut in the vertical direction. When you see a head
> cut off that clearly could have been shown in its entirety you have a
> slightly unpleasant reaction. At least I do.
>
> Norm Strong

LOL!
I take this to be a joke.
Matt

Jeff Rife

((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> It may be necessary to letterbox a movie in order to see the entire frame,
> but it isn't a good thing. I've never seen a letterboxed picture in a movie
> theater.

You haven't been to many theaters, then.

There are quite a few that have 1.85:1 screens only, and 2.35:1 movies
have black bars at the top and bottom.

Of course, you may have theaters that just let the extra width of a 2.35:1
movie fall onto the curtains at the side of a 1.85:1 screen. I know I have
seen this at some screens. If you say this is preferable to letterboxing,
you're an idiot.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/ArloNJa...othesHorse.gif

Howard

"Aphelion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:4z86f.9$(E-Mail Removed):

>> When I watch a 2.35:1 letterboxed picture on my 4:3 television I'm
>> acutely aware of the arbitrary cut in the vertical direction. When you
>> see a head cut off that clearly could have been shown in its entirety
>> you have a slightly unpleasant reaction. At least I do.

> Total idiot or troll?

Can't it be both?

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed). Cabal# 24601-fnord | Sleep is irrelevant.

Mark W

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It may be necessary to letterbox a movie in order to see the entire frame,
> but it isn't a good thing. I've never seen a letterboxed picture in a
> movie theater. I'd certainly ask for my money back if a movie were to be
> presented that way. Apparently theater owners agree with me, since they
> always fill the screen, regardless of what difference there might be
> between the aspect ratio of the screen and that of the film.
>
> When I watch a 2.35:1 letterboxed picture on my 4:3 television I'm acutely
> aware of the arbitrary cut in the vertical direction. When you see a head
> cut off that clearly could have been shown in its entirety you have a
> slightly unpleasant reaction. At least I do.
>
> Norm Strong

Well, I still have one of those science fiction *round* shaped TV sets, like
Flash Gordon used to watch, and so I am also aware of the dirty tricks you
refer to.

P Pron

Howard wrote:
|| "Aphelion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
|| news:4z86f.9$(E-Mail Removed):
||| Total idiot or troll?
|| Can't it be both?

Absolutely - and persistent, too....

paul

Large Farva

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It may be necessary to letterbox a movie in order to see the entire frame,
> but it isn't a good thing. I've never seen a letterboxed picture in a
> movie theater.

Gee, maybe because the screen is a RECTANGLE and not a SQUARE?

I'd certainly ask for my money back if a movie were to be
> presented that way.

I'd ask for my money back if I went to a theater and saw a sqaure screen.

NunYa Bidness

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 08:55:07 -0700, <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave
us:

>It may be necessary to letterbox a movie in order to see the entire frame,
>but it isn't a good thing. I've never seen a letterboxed picture in a movie
>theater.

You're a ****ing idiot, boy.

A movie theater already HAS the correctly shaped screen. A TV is
not. In order to make the picture fit, letterboxing is required.

You could be a bit more retarded, but not today.