Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Wallace & Gromit: Music Changed?

Reply
Thread Tools

Wallace & Gromit: Music Changed?

 
 
One-Shot Scot
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2005
I have a copy of the original BBC Video _Wallace & Gromit_, which is out of
print. My favorite episode on this disk is _The Wrong Trousers_. I had
contemplated upgrading to the latest _W & G_ DVD, until I saw this:


"In terms of the films themselves, The Wrong Trousers has been altered, and
that's what really bugs me. I think it has something to do with copyright
laws, but several music tracks have been replaced with terrible-sounding
substitutes. Gromit's birthday card plays a very non-birthday-card-sounding
version of "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" instead of "Happy Birthday To
You". When the Penguin is listening to the radio, the songs "Happy Talk" and
"How Much Is That Doggy In The Window" have been replaced with terrible,
generic organ music that completely takes away the mood of the scenes.
Consequently, the sound of Wallace humming "How Much Is That Doggy In The
Window" the next morning has also been removed.

"This bit may not bother most people, but for some reason all the
soundtracks for the shorts are a semitone flat. I can only assume this is
because the film was transferred at a slower rate."


So, is the music which has been substituted for the original soundtrack
really all that bad? Also, are the soundtracks for the three short subjects
as screwed up as the Amazon reviewer seems to think they are?

I'll probably end up getting the new _W & G_ disk for the Cracking
Contraption shorts and its supposedly better video. But I think that I will
keep my BBC Video _W & G_ DVD. After all, it does have the original
soundtrack for _The Wrong Trousers_.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...46534?v=glance


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
anthony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2005
Copyright laws are different in the States than in the UK. It's
probable that the longer protection given under US law makes the change
necessary. So why don't you just go to amazon.co.uk and buy the UK DVD
instead. That's supposing, of course, that you have a multiregion DVD
player and a TV that can handle the superior PAL format as well as NTSC
-- but who'd buy a single-format DVD player or television set nowadays
anyway!

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
howie feltersnatch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2005
When the Penguin is listening to the radio, the songs "Happy Talk" and
"How Much Is That Doggy In The Window" have been replaced with terrible,
generic organ music that completely takes away the mood of the scenes.

"mood of the scenes" !!!

that coming from a play-doh made film about a funny head shaped man and a
dog that cleverer than him!.

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaaaaa


"One-Shot Scot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a copy of the original BBC Video _Wallace & Gromit_, which is out of
> print. My favorite episode on this disk is _The Wrong Trousers_. I had
> contemplated upgrading to the latest _W & G_ DVD, until I saw this:
>
>
> "In terms of the films themselves, The Wrong Trousers has been altered,
> and
> that's what really bugs me. I think it has something to do with copyright
> laws, but several music tracks have been replaced with terrible-sounding
> substitutes. Gromit's birthday card plays a very
> non-birthday-card-sounding
> version of "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" instead of "Happy Birthday To
> You". When the Penguin is listening to the radio, the songs "Happy Talk"
> and
> "How Much Is That Doggy In The Window" have been replaced with terrible,
> generic organ music that completely takes away the mood of the scenes.
> Consequently, the sound of Wallace humming "How Much Is That Doggy In The
> Window" the next morning has also been removed.
>
> "This bit may not bother most people, but for some reason all the
> soundtracks for the shorts are a semitone flat. I can only assume this is
> because the film was transferred at a slower rate."
>
>
> So, is the music which has been substituted for the original soundtrack
> really all that bad? Also, are the soundtracks for the three short
> subjects
> as screwed up as the Amazon reviewer seems to think they are?
>
> I'll probably end up getting the new _W & G_ disk for the Cracking
> Contraption shorts and its supposedly better video. But I think that I
> will
> keep my BBC Video _W & G_ DVD. After all, it does have the original
> soundtrack for _The Wrong Trousers_.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...46534?v=glance
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Joshua Zyber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2005
"anthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> That's supposing, of course, that you have a multiregion DVD
> player and a TV that can handle the superior PAL format


PAL is only slightly superior in picture, and decidedly inferior in
audio. But you knew that, of course.


 
Reply With Quote
 
P Pron
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2005
Joshua Zyber wrote:
|| "anthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|| news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
||| That's supposing, of course, that you have a multiregion DVD
||| player and a TV that can handle the superior PAL format
||
|| PAL is only slightly superior in picture, and decidedly inferior in
|| audio. But you knew that, of course.

In what way is PAL decidely inferior in audio?

paul



 
Reply With Quote
 
Kimba W. Lion
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2005
"One-Shot Scot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>So, is the music which has been substituted for the original soundtrack
>really all that bad? Also, are the soundtracks for the three short subjects
>as screwed up as the Amazon reviewer seems to think they are?


I think the substitutions are pretty horrible. I didn't notice any speed
difference. But after finding out the DVD is altered I chucked it instead of
chucking my laserdisc, which isn't altered.

The "semitone flat" reference may actually refer to the NTSC DVD being
mastered at the correct speed, since for the supposedly superior PAL format
the film is played 4% too fast.

 
Reply With Quote
 
One-Shot Scot
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2005
"P Pron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Joshua Zyber wrote:
> || "anthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> || news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> ||| That's supposing, of course, that you have a multiregion DVD
> ||| player and a TV that can handle the superior PAL format
> ||
> || PAL is only slightly superior in picture, and decidedly inferior in
> || audio. But you knew that, of course.
>
> In what way is PAL decidedly inferior in audio?
>
> paul



The audio on PAL movies is sped up by 4%. Here's why:


24 Frames Per Second.

Movies are projected at 24 frames per second. 24 full images are
projected off the film onto the screen every second. This is a world wide
standard. This is all well and good, but a problem arises when we want to
transfer a movie to video.

50 Fields Per Second.

The PAL TV system shows images at 50 fields per second. One half of an
image is displayed and then the other half of the image is displayed. The
net result of this is that 25 full images are shown per second.

Effects of the 4% Speedup.

The most obvious effect of this 4% speedup is that the film runs for 4%
less time. Take as an example the recent movie The Mask of Zorro. The
theatrical running time for this movie was 136 minutes according to the
Internet Movie Database. The running time of this movie on Region 4 DVD is
132 minutes, 4% less.

A less obvious effect of this 4% speedup is that the audio for the film
is both 4% faster and 4% higher in pitch. In musical terms, this equates to
a rise in pitch of approximately one semitone.

Another less obvious effect of this 4% speedup is that the on-screen
action occurs 4% faster.


I find PAL's 4% increase in speed to be very annoying, particularly when the
pitch of the music is off by one semitone. On the other hand, some people
don't notice -- or don't care -- about the chipmunk effect that is imparted
to movie dialog and the accompanying off-key music inherent in PAL movies.
To them, the superior PAL picture is all that matters.

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Article...PALSpeedUp.asp


 
Reply With Quote
 
One-Shot Scot
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2005
"Kimba W. Lion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "One-Shot Scot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >So, is the music which has been substituted for the original soundtrack
> >really all that bad? Also, are the soundtracks for the three short
> >subjects as screwed up as the Amazon reviewer seems to think they are?

>
> I think the substitutions are pretty horrible. I didn't notice any speed
> difference. But after finding out the DVD is altered I chucked it instead
> >of chucking my laserdisc, which isn't altered.

>
> The "semitone flat" reference may actually refer to the NTSC DVD being
> mastered at the correct speed, since for the supposedly superior PAL
> >format the film is played 4% too fast.



Thanks for your post. You might want to upgrade from your LaserDisc to the
BBC DVD version of _The Incredible Adventures of Wallace and Gromit_. The
BBC version of this title seems to be readily available on both eBay and
Amazon:

eBay prices range from $0.99 (starting bid) up to $16.49 (current bid).

Amazon Marketplace prices range from $37.95 to $169.99.


http://search.ebay.com/search/search...prclo=&saprchi


http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/off...?condition=all


 
Reply With Quote
 
Biz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2005

"anthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Copyright laws are different in the States than in the UK. It's
> probable that the longer protection given under US law makes the change
> necessary. So why don't you just go to amazon.co.uk and buy the UK DVD
> instead. That's supposing, of course, that you have a multiregion DVD
> player and a TV that can handle the superior PAL format as well as NTSC
> -- but who'd buy a single-format DVD player or television set nowadays
> anyway!
>


Pretty much everyone in North America only have reasonable access to
NTSC/HDTV only tv's, and most of the decent dvd players, not all those cheap
POS play everything brands that last for 2 weeks, are not region-free, and
cant easily be made region-free. You must not be from North America, cos
you would already know about that issue then.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Stan Brown
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2005
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 23:49:32 -0700 from One-Shot Scot <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> So, is the music which has been substituted for the original soundtrack
> really all that bad?


I find it very jarring, and it does significantly detract from my
copy of the region 1 DVD. The VHS tape did have the original music,
but I didn't know till now that the BBC DVD (region 2, I suppose?)
also had the original soundtrack.

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
DVD FAQ: http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
other FAQs: http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/faqget.htm
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interview with Wallace Wang, Author of Steal This Computer Book at XYZ Computing Silverstrand Front Page News 0 08-09-2006 03:23 PM
DVD Verdict reviews: A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE, WALLACE AND GROMIT IN THE CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 03-13-2006 09:32 AM
Saving website music / identify music berksposter Computer Support 6 10-19-2004 03:29 AM
Support the EDGAR WALLACE DVD PETITION to avoid a Disaster ! Zoltan Carnovasch DVD Video 0 07-23-2004 01:27 PM
Re: Sanford Wallace ("Just Taylor") Psychopathic Thug Scumbag!! bradjesness@is_an_ass.com Computer Support 1 08-19-2003 05:12 AM



Advertisments