Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > How can I replace a DVD's wide screen movie with a full screen movie from another DVD?

How can I replace a DVD's wide screen movie with a full screen movie from another DVD?

blackhole@aol.com

Hi experts,

I have two DVD copies of National Treasure. One has a full screen
NTSC movie on it but the extras on it that have the treasure search
game, etc., are all broken.

I have a second DVD of the same movie where the extras work just fine,
but the movie is in wide screen format.

I would like to delete the wide screen movie and replace it with the
full screen movie (sorry purists) to have a fully working DVD.

I tried doing a direct replacement of the VOB movie files, and this sort
of worked at first. But when I went to view the movie, it was squashed
back down to wide screen, and naturally, everything in the movie was
squat. So I figured I would have to use some sort of editor to do it.

I tried using DvdRemake, but I found it confusing to understand the
manual.

Is there some easy (easier) way I can do this, maybe with some other
software? Or explain how to do this easily in DVD Remake?

Thanks,
Marcel

Black Locust

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> Hi experts,
>
> I have two DVD copies of National Treasure. One has a full screen
> NTSC movie on it but the extras on it that have the treasure search
> game, etc., are all broken.
>
> I have a second DVD of the same movie where the extras work just fine,
> but the movie is in wide screen format.
>
> I would like to delete the wide screen movie and replace it with the
> full screen movie

FOOL screen yourself outta here. Sorry, but I will offer no assistance
to someone who has no respect for a film makers vision. This isn't 1990;
the days of pan & scan VHS are long gone. Toss that POS "full screen"
DVD in the trash where it belongs.

www.widescreen.org

Simon Howson

> I would like to delete the wide screen movie and replace it with the
> full screen movie (sorry purists) to have a fully working DVD.

You just rub the shiny sides of the discs against each other, and the
image will be transfered between the discs.

Simon Howson

Kimba W. Lion

>I have two DVD copies of National Treasure. One has a full screen
>NTSC movie on it but the extras on it that have the treasure search
>game, etc., are all broken.
>
>I have a second DVD of the same movie where the extras work just fine,
>but the movie is in wide screen format.
>
>I would like to delete the wide screen movie and replace it with the
>full screen movie (sorry purists) to have a fully working DVD.
>
>I tried doing a direct replacement of the VOB movie files, and this sort
>of worked at first. But when I went to view the movie, it was squashed
>back down to wide screen, and naturally, everything in the movie was
>squat. So I figured I would have to use some sort of editor to do it.

Since most movies these days are shot full-frame and masked to widescreen in
the theater projector, your quest is not as outlandish as some faux-purists
may wish to make it seem. (I don't know the specifics about this particular
movie, however.)

If I understand your complaint about your re-made disc, try this: when you
go to play this movie, go into your player's setup and find the setting for
TV type. Change it to 16:9 or widescreen or something like that and see how
your movie looks. Naturally, you will have to change it back after you watch
this disc, but it could work.

IF that's not satisfactory, perhaps it will help to take your problem to
finer details. How is it that the extras on one disc are "broken" but the
movie plays? Is the disc physically damaged? Could it be player
incompatibility--that the disc will work on another player?

Peter_L

Hi
I think this information is stored inside the IFO file.
You could try editing the IFO file with freeware IFOedit and replace "16:9"
with "4:3".
Hope that helps
Peter

<(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi experts,
>
> I have two DVD copies of National Treasure. One has a full screen
> NTSC movie on it but the extras on it that have the treasure search
> game, etc., are all broken.
>
> I have a second DVD of the same movie where the extras work just fine,
> but the movie is in wide screen format.
>
> I would like to delete the wide screen movie and replace it with the
> full screen movie (sorry purists) to have a fully working DVD.
>
> I tried doing a direct replacement of the VOB movie files, and this sort
> of worked at first. But when I went to view the movie, it was squashed
> back down to wide screen, and naturally, everything in the movie was
> squat. So I figured I would have to use some sort of editor to do it.
>
> I tried using DvdRemake, but I found it confusing to understand the
> manual.
>
> Is there some easy (easier) way I can do this, maybe with some other
> software? Or explain how to do this easily in DVD Remake?
>
> Thanks,
> Marcel

Large Farva

Just buy the VHS and a 25 year old TV if you want the fullscreen version.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi experts,
>
> I have two DVD copies of National Treasure. One has a full screen
> NTSC movie on it but the extras on it that have the treasure search
> game, etc., are all broken.
>
> I have a second DVD of the same movie where the extras work just fine,
> but the movie is in wide screen format.
>
> I would like to delete the wide screen movie and replace it with the
> full screen movie (sorry purists) to have a fully working DVD.
>
> I tried doing a direct replacement of the VOB movie files, and this sort
> of worked at first. But when I went to view the movie, it was squashed
> back down to wide screen, and naturally, everything in the movie was
> squat. So I figured I would have to use some sort of editor to do it.
>
> I tried using DvdRemake, but I found it confusing to understand the
> manual.
>
> Is there some easy (easier) way I can do this, maybe with some other
> software? Or explain how to do this easily in DVD Remake?
>
> Thanks,
> Marcel

noblejones

Use DVD2one to join the full screen feature from disc A to the extras
from disc B. Get the app -- the help file will explain everything --
it's pretty easy.

I prefer widescreen, myself.

The Man With No Name

"Black 'Dumbya' Locust" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> FOOL screen yourself outta here. Sorry, but I will offer no assistance
> to someone who has no respect for a film makers vision. This isn't 1990;
> the days of pan & scan VHS are long gone. Toss that POS "full screen"
> DVD in the trash where it belongs.
>
> www.widescreen.org
> --
> "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.
> They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our
> people,
> and neither do we." - President George W. Bush

Given the movie in question, I don't see how "respect for the film-makers
vision" is that big an issue.

Black Locust

In article <43547545$0$11682$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
"The Man With No Name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Given the movie in question, I don't see how "respect for the film-makers
> vision" is that big an issue.

True, but if you're going to watch a turd like National Treasure, you
might as well watch it correctly.

Marcel

Black Locust <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi experts,
>>
>> I would like to delete the wide screen movie and replace it with the
>> full screen movie

> FOOL screen yourself outta here. Sorry, but I will offer no assistance
> to someone who has no respect for a film makers vision. This isn't
> 1990; the days of pan & scan VHS are long gone. Toss that POS "full
> screen" DVD in the trash where it belongs.

Sorry, but I disagree. I have both movies together and am able to
compare them side by side, and as far as I see it, the full screen
version is actually the cut off one, cropped off from the top and
bottom, to make a "trunkated" wide screen version.

You can actually see this when stopping both movies at the exact same
frame on the computer, in this case, the boy walking through the attic.

His head in the full version is clear and freed up so you can see more
of the attic above and below him, more of the feeling of where he is in
that huge old attic, while the wide screen version has his head almost
cut off and almost as if in a crawl space of a crappy modern house.

So your "purist" bull is false.

And I refuse to pay an over-charged, exorbidant amount of money just to
watch a wide screen TV, when my perfectly good 31 inch Sony TV still has
as bright a picture as the day I bought it.

Marcel