Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD+R files lost

DVD+R files lost

Margrave of Brandenburg

I have a DVD+R with multiple recorded sessions. I back up files to it
periodically. After I closed the DVD for the last time (it was nearly full),
I could read the files just fine.

But later that day, I could no longer read most of it. Explorer shows only
34 files (about 579 MB), most (or all) of which are in the first session.

I tried this on two different computers (one with an NEC burner, the other
with a plain DVD ROM) ... same result.

But there's really more than 250 files in there (about 4.2 GB).

Later, I happened to notice a defect in the disk near the outer edge. The
surface seems to have a gap in the dye. But this appears only on the last
1/4" (or less) of the disk surface, and it's only about a 1/2" long.

I would expect this gap would render the last few hundred MB inaccessible.
But what about the remaining 4 GB?

Is there a program that can help recover some of the lost data?

BTW, this was burned with Nero 6.3.1.25, using ISO/UDF format.

Bill Vermillion

In article <05x4f.77730$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Margrave of Brandenburg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I have a DVD+R with multiple recorded sessions. I back up files to it
>periodically. After I closed the DVD for the last time (it was nearly full),
>I could read the files just fine.
>
>But later that day, I could no longer read most of it. Explorer shows only
>34 files (about 579 MB), most (or all) of which are in the first session.

>I tried this on two different computers (one with an NEC burner, the other
>with a plain DVD ROM) ... same result.

>But there's really more than 250 files in there (about 4.2 GB).

>Later, I happened to notice a defect in the disk near the outer edge. The
>surface seems to have a gap in the dye. But this appears only on the last
>1/4" (or less) of the disk surface, and it's only about a 1/2" long.

>I would expect this gap would render the last few hundred MB
>inaccessible. But what about the remaining 4 GB?

Probably the directory was re-written when the system encountered
the bad area.

>Is there a program that can help recover some of the lost data?

ISO-Buster. The free simple version might just work for you.

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com