Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > 614,590kb avi file won't fit on a DVD. Noobie question.

614,590kb avi file won't fit on a DVD. Noobie question.

Crazy Jack

Hello.

I have an AVI file of the above size. I want to burn it to a DVD to
play it, I really don't want to watch it on my computer.

So, I've bought a program I've seen reccomended on these groups and it
won't fit. Huh? Ulead DVD Movie Factory 4 has a size bar on the
bottom of the screen, and it says:

6.42 (6.90) GB / 2 Hour 6 min 12 sec [on the blue bit of the bar]
(File size?)
4.38 (4.70) GB [on the end red bit of the bar]
(Disc size?)

So, I followed it through the process assumng an expensive bit of
software like thiw will have a shriknk facility of some sort. On the
Burn page it has a "reduce size to fit a DVD" button. Hooray. Shame
the error message says "The minimum size by reducing the bit rates
still cannot fit on one DVD".

OK, you experts. How does a 614 meg file become 6.42 GB! And how can
I get it onto a DVD please? (I've tried DVD shrink and alcohol120%
with no joy.) I *assume* it started life on one once.

--
Craaazy Jack.
Jack of all trades, master of none!

Jeff

Crazy Jack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello.
>
> I have an AVI file of the above size. I want to burn it to a DVD to
> play it, I really don't want to watch it on my computer.
>
> So, I've bought a program I've seen reccomended on these groups and it
> won't fit. Huh? Ulead DVD Movie Factory 4 has a size bar on the
> bottom of the screen, and it says:
>
> 6.42 (6.90) GB / 2 Hour 6 min 12 sec [on the blue bit of the bar]
> (File size?)
> 4.38 (4.70) GB [on the end red bit of the bar]
> (Disc size?)
>
> So, I followed it through the process assumng an expensive bit of
> software like thiw will have a shriknk facility of some sort. On the
> Burn page it has a "reduce size to fit a DVD" button. Hooray. Shame
> the error message says "The minimum size by reducing the bit rates
> still cannot fit on one DVD".
>
> OK, you experts. How does a 614 meg file become 6.42 GB! And how can
> I get it onto a DVD please? (I've tried DVD shrink and alcohol120%
> with no joy.) I *assume* it started life on one once.

Assuming you are starting with a VCD size video, MF is likely quadrupling
the frame size and increasing the bit rate to make it DVD compliant, also
changing the audio from 44kbps to 48 kbps. This makes your file larger.
Burning the DVD to a folder on your hard drive with MF then using
DVDShrink to shrink that down to fit on a disc should work.

Crazy Jack

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 00:18:39 GMT, Jeff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> OK, you experts. How does a 614 meg file become 6.42 GB! And how can
>> I get it onto a DVD please? (I've tried DVD shrink and alcohol120%
>> with no joy.) I *assume* it started life on one once.
>>

>Assuming you are starting with a VCD size video, MF is likely quadrupling
>the frame size and increasing the bit rate to make it DVD compliant, also
>changing the audio from 44kbps to 48 kbps. This makes your file larger.
>Burning the DVD to a folder on your hard drive with MF then using
>DVDShrink to shrink that down to fit on a disc should work.

I see how that could work. Thanks for the idea, I should have thought
of it myself really! I'll try it later this afternoon. I've got a
door to hang first! (Who said sunday was a day of rest?)

--
Craaazy Jack.
Jack of all trades, master of none!

Jay Stewart

"Crazy Jack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 00:18:39 GMT, Jeff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>> OK, you experts. How does a 614 meg file become 6.42 GB! And how can
>>> I get it onto a DVD please? (I've tried DVD shrink and alcohol120%
>>> with no joy.) I *assume* it started life on one once.
>>>

>>Assuming you are starting with a VCD size video, MF is likely quadrupling
>>the frame size and increasing the bit rate to make it DVD compliant, also
>>changing the audio from 44kbps to 48 kbps. This makes your file larger.
>>Burning the DVD to a folder on your hard drive with MF then using
>>DVDShrink to shrink that down to fit on a disc should work.

> I see how that could work. Thanks for the idea, I should have thought
> of it myself really! I'll try it later this afternoon. I've got a
> door to hang first! (Who said sunday was a day of rest?)

God?