Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: Hammond's SPOG SCIENTIFICALLY falsefied

Re: Hammond's SPOG SCIENTIFICALLY falsefied

fwd: from Erik

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 14:14:55 +0200, "erik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"George Hammond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:49:37 GMT, George Hammond
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>[Hammond]
>>> Erik.... thanks for responding. I am a physicist, who discovered
>>>this idea, but I know beans about practical video stuff. This idea
>>>has been widely discussed on the physics newsgroups, but none of
>>>them
>>>know anything about practical video matters.
>>> If it works, it may point the way to making "childproof X-rated
>>>entertainment".... think about it... the amount of programming
>>>effected on public t.v. would be enormous. Big bucks!
>>> Of course the idea I'm proposing here is just a "simple
>>> experiment"
>>>to try and find out something about the phenomenon.
>>>
>>> The problem with AVI, MPEG and other "computer" video systems is
>>>that most people (including me) are using old 200, or 400 mc CPU
>>>computers with run of the mill graphics cards... and they are just
>>>too
>>>slow.... they "compress" the frame rates unpredictably.... AVI only
>>>runs at 12 frames/sec on my computer for instance. This will
>>>OBLITERATE the effect which depends on running at
>>>TRUE 30 FRAMES/SEC VIDEO SPEED (like t.v.) !
>>>
>>>As I see it, the only way I can GUARANTEE that the video is actually
>>>running at "true 30 frames/sec" speed is to do the experiment using
>>>VHS video on a VCR.
>>>
>>>CORRECT ME IF I'M WR0NG ABOUT THIS....!!
>>>
>>>Isn't there some way to "edit" a vido on a computer, and then load
>>>it
>>>on to a VHS tape?
>>>
>>>You do see what the problem is, right? I have to be SURE the vido
>>>that I produce is actually running at 30 frames/sec...!
>>>
>>>George Hammond

>> [Hammond]
>> PS:
>>
>> What about these new graphical "video editing" programs I see
>> advertised online in which al lyou have to do is "cut and paste" or
>> "drag and drop" individual frames in the video editor to make an
>> "edited" version of a vieotape or video file. Seems to me that
>> "writing a script" is kind of an old fashioned approach given the
>> proliferation of these new graphical interface video editing
>> programs
>> that are floating around? Some of them are even freeware.
>>
>> George
>>

> My idea is to prepare the file AVI or MPEG on a computer with a
>proper framerate and then play it on a DVD top set player. There are
>models that can play DIVX/XVID or ISO MPEGs from CD-R or DVD-ROM. The
>DVD player makes sure the framerate is correct.

[Hammond]
Would this involve burning a CD or DVD ?

> As for available tools, I suggested AviSynth, because it's what I
>use.

[Hammond]
Is AviSynth difficult to learn to use ? Do you have to know how to
write script ?

> I am not a big fan of click-and-drag-and-drop kind of programs.
>But there are sure other ways to build the video the way you need it.

[Hammond]
Right... I'm looking for the shortest distance beetwen here and there.

By the way... what would a video lab charge me to edit a VHS
tape as I've described? It may be easier to find investors than
it is to find freelance technical experts.

> How to transfer the video to VHS tape, video card with TV output?
>Or record it on CD, play it on DVD player and record it on tape.

[Hammond]
Oh... so we're talking either:

1. Video card with t.v. output.
2. CD or DVD burner.

looks like too much equipment.

> As for the idea, I think it will flicker and won't be good for the
>eyes.

[Hammond]
No doubt.... the BIG QUESTION is whether it will be VISIBLE
to adults and INVISBLE to kids.

Flicker can be dealt with later.

> Not mentioning you'll have to do something with the sound, too

[Hammond]
That's been mentioned... will have to be addressed later.
What we are looking for is a "proof of concept" experiment.

E.g. Can you make a video that is VISIBLE to adults, but INVISIBLE to
kids, based on the fact that short (intermittant) frame sequences are
invisble (subliminal) to kids whereas they are visible to adults.

> Anyway, have fun!
>Erik.

[Hammond]
Likewise I'm sure.

SCIENTIFIC PROOF OF GOD WEBSITE
http://geocities.com/scientific_proof_of_god
mirror site:
http://proof-of-god.freewebsitehosting.com
Join COSA church (Church of the Scientific Advent)
Send a blank email to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
and your email address will be added to the
COSA discussion list (free, no obligation)
and please ask your news service to add:
alt.sci.relativistic-proof-of-god.moderated