Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD Player Recommendation: Sony ES, Yamaha, Denon, or other?

DVD Player Recommendation: Sony ES, Yamaha, Denon, or other?

Pred02

Hi,

We have been using the Sony DVP S7700 which we bought in 1999 as the
DVD player for our system. This fall we plan on upgrading to a
Panasonic 50' plasma screen. When we bought the S7700, it was one of
the reference players out there - indeed it was very good, much better
compared to the consumer-grade DVD panasonic player we first owned.
However, as S7700 does not have progressive output, and with plasma
HDTV-ready TV, I understanding we need progressive scan to get the
better picture quality. Thus, we are ready to upgrade when we buy the
TV.

Looking a bit on the net, we found a couple of models that would suit
our needs and budget. More specifically, the budget it around 500 USD,
maybe a little more.

In this price range, I first looked at the Sony ES line, more
specifically the follow up reference to what we currently own: Sony
DVP-NS999ES.

In the similar price range I saw the Yamaha DVD-S2500, and the Denon
DVD-2910B. The Denon DVD-2910 also hasa HDMI output, which I am not
sure if it makes any difference over composite video, but it also
claims to offer 720p and 1080i output. I know that the plasma screen
does offer this mode.

Given the price range and the choices, which DVD player would you
recommend? Our main concern is the picture quality, and secondly audio
quality (2-channel).

Kind regards,
george

Tai Fu

I was under the impression that the DVD players that costs very little in
Taiwan has the best compatibility, like NTSC/PAL, all region out of the box.
The bigger brands never have such feature. I do have a question though, can
any DVD player play SACD or do they require a special player? can a computer
DVD drive read SACD?

--
TAI FU
http://creationism.dyndns.org/

TB

"Tai Fu"wrote:

>I was under the impression that the DVD players that costs very little in
> Taiwan has the best compatibility, like NTSC/PAL, all region out of the
> box.
> The bigger brands never have such feature. I do have a question though,
> can
> any DVD player play SACD or do they require a special player? can a
> computer
> DVD drive read SACD?

PC dvd or cd players cannot read a SACD.

And yes, many of those cheap dvd players out of Hong kong, Taiwan, etc can
play just about anything but they never approach bigger name players for
reliabilty or playback quality.

T.B.

Khee Mao

"TB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:brI2f.40$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Tai Fu"wrote:

> PC dvd or cd players cannot read a SACD.
>
> And yes, many of those cheap dvd players out of Hong kong, Taiwan, etc can
> play just about anything but they never approach bigger name players for
> reliabilty or playback quality.
>
> T.B.

is that why the $200 Oppo was ranked second best player to the 5910?

ardz

"Khee Mao" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dihmhe$jko$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "TB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:brI2f.40$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Tai Fu"wrote:

> > PC dvd or cd players cannot read a SACD.
> >
> > And yes, many of those cheap dvd players out of Hong kong, Taiwan, etc

can
> > play just about anything but they never approach bigger name players for
> > reliabilty or playback quality.
> >
> > T.B.
> >

> is that why the $200 Oppo was ranked second best player to the 5910?

Can you give a link to this comparison?

Joe Kesselman

> is that why the $200 Oppo was ranked second best player to the 5910?

By who, on what criteria... Strike that, I don't think I need to know.

TB

"Khee Mao" wrote:>>

>> PC dvd or cd players cannot read a SACD.
>>
>> And yes, many of those cheap dvd players out of Hong kong, Taiwan, etc
>> can play just about anything but they never approach bigger name players
>> for reliabilty or playback quality.
>>
>> T.B.
>>

> is that why the $200 Oppo was ranked second best player to the 5910?

Only in picture quality for the DVI output. It doesn't even support
progressive scan output.

Here's a simple review for those interested in this player:

http://hometheater.about.com/od/dvdp...po971short.htm

And a lond running thread about it in AC review:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showt...1&page=1&pp=15

It has exceptional video quality but it falls far short of most of the other
features a player like the Denon 5910 offers. Also, there's some display
issues with PAL format dvds that the manufacturer has been struggling to fix
with firmware upgrades. For under 200 bucks it's a good deal but especially
in the audio department, it falls far short of any sort of real reference
player. Another complaint (common to many cheaply built dvd players) is that
they aren't built to last.

T.B.

Khee Mao

"ardz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yBZ2f.17316$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Khee Mao" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dihmhe$jko$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "TB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:brI2f.40$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > "Tai Fu"wrote:

>> > PC dvd or cd players cannot read a SACD.
>> >
>> > And yes, many of those cheap dvd players out of Hong kong, Taiwan, etc

> can
>> > play just about anything but they never approach bigger name players
>> > for
>> > reliabilty or playback quality.
>> >
>> > T.B.
>> >

>> is that why the $200 Oppo was ranked second best player to the 5910?
>>

> Can you give a link to this comparison?

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...h&articles=all

you're welcome

Khee Mao

"TB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8p13f.539$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Khee Mao" wrote:>>
>
>>> PC dvd or cd players cannot read a SACD.
>>>
>>> And yes, many of those cheap dvd players out of Hong kong, Taiwan, etc
>>> can play just about anything but they never approach bigger name players
>>> for reliabilty or playback quality.
>>>
>>> T.B.
>>>

>> is that why the $200 Oppo was ranked second best player to the 5910?

> Only in picture quality for the DVI output. It doesn't even support
> progressive scan output.

<snip>

oh, 720p isn't progressive?

wake up.

Biz

"Khee Mao" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dik0lc$7b8$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "ardz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:yBZ2f.17316$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Khee Mao" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:dihmhe$jko$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> "TB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:brI2f.40$(E-Mail Removed)...

etc
> > can

> >> is that why the $200 Oppo was ranked second best player to the 5910?
> >>

> > Can you give a link to this comparison?

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...h&articles=all

> you're welcome

Thats not what those rankings mean. It just means that based on the given
tests they perform, which have nothing to do with PQ or SQ, the Oppo scored
well. If you bothered to read the actual reviews you would see that they
said there is no comparison in quality between those 2 players at all...