Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > A New Deserter from the HD-DVD Camp: Warner Bros.

A New Deserter from the HD-DVD Camp: Warner Bros.

Allan

http://news.softpedia.com/news/A-New...os-10076.shtml

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Kimba W. Lion

Allan <(E-Mail Removed) t> wrote:

>http://news.softpedia.com/news/A-New...os-10076.shtml

So, apparently the movie studios have no faith at all in the rumor that
there will be a dual-format player.

Tarkus

On 10/7/2005 8:24:58 PM, Kimba W. Lion wrote:

> Allan <(E-Mail Removed) t> wrote:
>
>>http://news.softpedia.com/news/A-New...os-10076.shtml

> So, apparently the movie studios have no faith at all in the rumor that
> there will be a dual-format player.

I don't see the logic. Just because there's a dual-format player doesn't
mean that's what everyone is going to be using. Most players will only
support one format, at least at first.
--
"This is Klahn's bodyguard - he is tough and ruthless.
This is Klahn's chauffeur - he is rough and toothless."

Now playing: the radio.

Rich

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 21:35:39 -0400, Allan
<(E-Mail Removed) t> wrote:

>http://news.softpedia.com/news/A-New...os-10076.shtml

Everyone looking for an angle to overcharge consumers for the new
format. "B-but it costs more to produce!"
Standby for more code cracking and illegal copying.
-Rich

Tarkus

On 10/8/2005 10:51:31 AM, Rich wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 21:35:39 -0400, Allan
> <(E-Mail Removed) t> wrote:
>
>>http://news.softpedia.com/news/A-New...os-10076.shtml

> Everyone looking for an angle to overcharge consumers for the new
> format. "B-but it costs more to produce!"

What does it even mean to "overcharge"? They're businesses, not
non-profit organizations. They can charge what they want. Supply and
demand will take care of the rest.
--
"You tell him I'm coming! And Hell's coming with me!"

Now playing: the radio.

Kimba W. Lion

Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> So, apparently the movie studios have no faith at all in the rumor that
>> there will be a dual-format player.

>I don't see the logic. Just because there's a dual-format player doesn't
>mean that's what everyone is going to be using. Most players will only
>support one format, at least at first.

The logic behind the dual-format player is reduced risk to the consumer. If
the ivory-tower types want to take their format wars to the marketplace, the
only logical path for one who wants to buy into the embattled formats would
be to take neither side over the other. If most players support only one
format, then buying a player means risking being stuck with an obsolete
player if the other format wins the market war.

If the studios see the need for double-inventorying everything--something
the retailers will hate with a passion--then they must not foresee any
dual-format players making it to market. Which means it will make the most
sense for consumers to not buy into the new formats.

Alpha

"Kimba W. Lion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> So, apparently the movie studios have no faith at all in the rumor that
>>> there will be a dual-format player.

>>I don't see the logic. Just because there's a dual-format player doesn't
>>mean that's what everyone is going to be using. Most players will only
>>support one format, at least at first.

> The logic behind the dual-format player is reduced risk to the consumer.
> If
> the ivory-tower types want to take their format wars to the marketplace,
> the
> only logical path for one who wants to buy into the embattled formats
> would
> be to take neither side over the other. If most players support only one
> format, then buying a player means risking being stuck with an obsolete
> player if the other format wins the market war.
>
> If the studios see the need for double-inventorying everything--something
> the retailers will hate with a passion--then they must not foresee any
> dual-format players making it to market. Which means it will make the most
> sense for consumers to not buy into the new formats.

Although a dual format player has been proposed/announced, there is *no*
player actually working. Vaporware.

Tarkus

On 10/8/2005 4:36:56 PM, Kimba W. Lion wrote:

> If the studios see the need for double-inventorying
> everything--something the retailers will hate with a passion--then
> they must not foresee any dual-format players making it to market.

No, what it means is that they know that MOST players will not be
dual-format. "Any" dual-format players won't do them much good. There
would have to be significant market penetration of those types of
players.
--
"Trying is the first step towards failure."

Now playing: the radio.

Allan

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 17:53:39 -0700, "Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Although a dual format player has been proposed/announced, there is *no*
>player actually working. Vaporware.

Well that kinda happens with "new" machines.

Guess it is the same with XBOX 360.... "proposed/announced" but damn,
no machine we can actually buy today. "Vaporware."

You were wrong, time to move on.

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Frank Sereno

Allan wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 17:53:39 -0700, "Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Although a dual format player has been proposed/announced, there is *no*
>>player actually working. Vaporware.
>>

> Well that kinda happens with "new" machines.
>
> Guess it is the same with XBOX 360.... "proposed/announced" but damn,
> no machine we can actually buy today. "Vaporware."
>
> You were wrong, time to move on.

That something has been announced does not mean that it will ever be
available for purchase. I owned Atari computers back in the day and
that company announced dozens of products that never got beyond the
mockup or prototype stage, but they were announced at CES and other
trade shows.

There are any number of reasons that an announced product will never be
available to the public. It may turn out that market studies proved
that the product wouldn't sell. Or it could be that the costs of
producing the item would make it unsalable. It could also be that the
item proves technologically incapable of being produced efficiently or
simply cannot be made to function as announced. Or negotiations to
purchase certain components fail.

With the dual format HD DVD player, it could simply be that one format
itself never makes it to the marketplace. So don't count your chickens
before they are hatched.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware