Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Time is not on my side. - Please Help.

Reply
Thread Tools

Time is not on my side. - Please Help.

 
 
Impmon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2005
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 19:43:25 -0700, "spinach47"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I use my analog and digital camcorders to capture the video and it produces
>an avi file. It uses firewire too.
>What is 'raw' format?


Digital camcorders have its own codec and when you save the video
straight from the camcorder, it is considered "raw" and you do need to
install codec on PC to properly view them on PC. The type of codec
depends on the brand of your camcorder.


>So ULead does the conversion and burn for you as Nero apparently is doing
>for me? Only ULead is
>much much faster. thx.


I haven't used Nero for making DVD movies since the compression and
conversion is generally slow. ULead is much faster and it also are
easy to set up and make movie DVDs with or without menu, background
pictures, music, etc.

Why don't you try browsing around the forums at videohelp.com and see
what the other opinions are.
--
When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words "uh oh", it's already
too late. - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dubbah
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2005

spinach47 wrote:
> When burning a DVD it takes 30+ hours.
> My goal is to copy over 50, 2-hour, family video tapes to DVD for my
> children and me.
> At this rate I won't live long enough to get them done.
>
> My computer is a Sony VAIO PCG-FRV31. It has a Celeron 2.4 Ghz CPU with 448
> mb of RAM.
> The OS is XP SP2.
> I first capture the home movie to an external hard drive. It is a Maxtor One
> Touch 100Gb drive.
> The DVD burner is a Sony DRX720UL 8x.
> The media is TDK DVD-R 8x discs.
> The burning software is Nero 6 Ultra Edition. It lets me know it won't fit
> on a single DVD but says it can compress it to make it fit. I respond OK.
> I was not connected to the internet while burning. I also stopped all
> processes I felt comfortable stopping during the burn.


You'd be better off to dub your videotapes onto a DVD recorder, which
would take only two hours per each tape!!!!
You can get a Sony or Panasonic DVD recorder which accesses dvd-r
blank
discs. You'll be able to do the job in less time than you ever
possible. Good luck!

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dubbah
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2005

spinach47 wrote:
> I'm a little confused. You said it took 3 hours to convert and burn but you
> said it could
> take 10-12 hours too. Is it ProCoder that takes longer?


Forget using a computer to convert videotapes onto a dvd. It takes a
bitch
of a lengthy time to do it, so painfully slow and a pain in the a...
If you can get a DVD recorder, a good name like Sony or Panasonic, it
will
only take you 2 hours max per 2 hour video, guaranteed!

 
Reply With Quote
 
spinach47
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-12-2005
Thanks, I have a lot to look into and thing about.

"Impmon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 19:43:25 -0700, "spinach47"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I use my analog and digital camcorders to capture the video and it
>>produces
>>an avi file. It uses firewire too.
>>What is 'raw' format?

>
> Digital camcorders have its own codec and when you save the video
> straight from the camcorder, it is considered "raw" and you do need to
> install codec on PC to properly view them on PC. The type of codec
> depends on the brand of your camcorder.
>
>
>>So ULead does the conversion and burn for you as Nero apparently is doing
>>for me? Only ULead is
>>much much faster. thx.

>
> I haven't used Nero for making DVD movies since the compression and
> conversion is generally slow. ULead is much faster and it also are
> easy to set up and make movie DVDs with or without menu, background
> pictures, music, etc.
>
> Why don't you try browsing around the forums at videohelp.com and see
> what the other opinions are.
> --
> When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words "uh oh", it's already
> too late. - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
> To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net



 
Reply With Quote
 
Impmon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-12-2005
On 11 Oct 2005 09:39:01 -0700, "dubbah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Forget using a computer to convert videotapes onto a dvd. It takes a
>bitch
> of a lengthy time to do it, so painfully slow and a pain in the a...
> If you can get a DVD recorder, a good name like Sony or Panasonic, it
>will
> only take you 2 hours max per 2 hour video, guaranteed!


At what cost? Those stand alone DVD recorders are not cheap. Plus
you don't control specifics like removing blank footages, unwanted
scenes, etc. With PC you can still edit out the video before burning
them and once you get to the burning process, you can save the ISO
image to make multiple copies in just minutes each.

Assume you have a recent wedding and you got 20 people who wants a
copy of the video in DVD. With some recorders, you're looking at
about 40 hours plus a risk of tape tearing up from heavy use. With
PC, a few hours for capture and conversion, then a few minutes each
copy.

I know there are some recorders with internal hard drives but those
costs even more. Some of those decent recorders are comparable in
price to cheap PC.
--
When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words "uh oh", it's already
too late. - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net
 
Reply With Quote
 
Serial # 19781010
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-12-2005
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 01:23:34 -0400, Impmon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 11 Oct 2005 09:39:01 -0700, "dubbah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Forget using a computer to convert videotapes onto a dvd. It takes a
>>bitch
>> of a lengthy time to do it, so painfully slow and a pain in the a...
>> If you can get a DVD recorder, a good name like Sony or Panasonic, it
>>will
>> only take you 2 hours max per 2 hour video, guaranteed!

>
>At what cost? Those stand alone DVD recorders are not cheap.


Yes they are- 98 bucks at Walmart. 200 buck if you want a first rate
Pioneer etc.

>you don't control specifics like removing blank footages, unwanted
>scenes, etc. With PC you can still edit out the video before burning
>them and once you get to the burning process, you can save the ISO
>image to make multiple copies in just minutes each.
>

Just burn it onto a RW disk and edit it on the PC just as you would
do with a card.

>Assume you have a recent wedding and you got 20 people who wants a
>copy of the video in DVD. With some recorders, you're looking at
>about 40 hours plus a risk of tape tearing up from heavy use. With
>PC, a few hours for capture and conversion, then a few minutes each
>copy.
>

Have you ever heard of "Disk Copy"?
The disk you burn on the recorder can be taken to the PC and copied at
a rate of about 15 mins per disk on my machine.

>I know there are some recorders with internal hard drives but those
>costs even more. Some of those decent recorders are comparable in
>price to cheap PC.


Those built in HD drives are for time shifting not editing.
You don't need nor really want an expensive built in hard drive-which
won't help with PC editing anyway.

Capture cards are a lot more problematic and complicated and often
more expensive than using a recorder. At least for the simple transfer
of VHS to DVD.

For the transfer of tapes to DVD a recorder is cheap, simple and
effective and you have all the power of your PC to edit and/or copy
the recorder's output just as you would with a card but a lot faster
and more trouble free.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Vermillion
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-13-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Impmon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 11 Oct 2005 09:39:01 -0700, "dubbah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>> Forget using a computer to convert videotapes onto a dvd. It
>>takes a bitch of a lengthy time to do it, so painfully slow and
>>a pain in the a... If you can get a DVD recorder, a good name
>>like Sony or Panasonic, it will only take you 2 hours max per 2
>>hour video, guaranteed!


>At what cost? Those stand alone DVD recorders are not cheap. Plus
>you don't control specifics like removing blank footages, unwanted
>scenes, etc. With PC you can still edit out the video before burning
>them and once you get to the burning process, you can save the ISO
>image to make multiple copies in just minutes each.


Standalone start in mid $100 range and go up.

But what I do is roll the VCR - with it's built in TBC and NR
directly to the DVDRecorded on +RW disks. Then it's quite easy
to use something like VideoRedo to cut, rearrange scenes, etc.

You eliminate the step of encoding the video read in - which
depending upon the quality you select can take much longer than
playing the video.

>Assume you have a recent wedding and you got 20 people who wants a
>copy of the video in DVD. With some recorders, you're looking at
>about 40 hours plus a risk of tape tearing up from heavy use. With
>PC, a few hours for capture and conversion, then a few minutes each
>copy.


No. If you do the above, use VideoRedo [as an example] and some
authoring program like TDA, then you have an ISO file you can copy
over and over with any program of your choice. I like DVDDecryptor
for that.

>I know there are some recorders with internal hard drives but those
>costs even more. Some of those decent recorders are comparable in
>price to cheap PC.


Yup. That's why I have a plain old recorder without the HD.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
 
Reply With Quote
 
dubbah
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-13-2005

Serial # 19781010 wrote:

> >At what cost? Those stand alone DVD recorders are not cheap.

>
> Yes they are- 98 bucks at Walmart. 200 buck if you want a first rate
> Pioneer etc.


$800 for Sony, $300 for a Philips-Magnavox (mine went after
several months! Piece of crap), $200 for a Coby (which a buddy
bought).

> Just burn it onto a RW disk and edit it on the PC just as you would
> do with a card.


IF you have a PC.

> >

> Have you ever heard of "Disk Copy"?
> The disk you burn on the recorder can be taken to the PC and copied at
> a rate of about 15 mins per disk on my machine.


That's after burning on recorder, not before. Ah.


> Those built in HD drives are for time shifting not editing.
> You don't need nor really want an expensive built in hard drive-which
> won't help with PC editing anyway.


Don't need expensive hard drive. Buy a good recorder,
it pays for itself, I'm sure. Computers cost a lot as it is,
good ones!

> Capture cards are a lot more problematic and complicated and often
> more expensive than using a recorder. At least for the simple transfer
> of VHS to DVD.


Agree. Was told PCs are a pain in the rear for video dubbing
from vhs.

> For the transfer of tapes to DVD a recorder is cheap, simple and
> effective and you have all the power of your PC to edit and/or copy
> the recorder's output just as you would with a card but a lot faster
> and more trouble free.


Well said.

I can't tell anyone what to do, it's his choice.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is time.time() < time.time() always true? flamesrock Python 8 11-24-2006 06:51 AM
Re: interpreting the fractional portion of time.clock() vs time.time()measurements Peter Hansen Python 0 02-22-2006 12:03 AM
time.clock() or time.time() peterbe@gmail.com Python 8 08-05-2005 01:51 PM
delta time = time stop - time start engsol Python 2 01-26-2004 12:06 PM
please help... ...me learn C++ please please please :) KK C++ 2 10-14-2003 02:08 PM



Advertisments