Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Daggers Drawn Over DVDs

Daggers Drawn Over DVDs

Allan

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...9074_tc024.htm

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

WinField

Interesting article and recap of the high stakes involved.

There are so many ways this next-format DVD thing can go. However, I
can't help but think that if HD-dvd falls behind Blue-Ray a bit, just
give the DVD rippers some wiggle room to more easily "clone" HD-dvd
discs and the popularity should rise. Of course, the movie studios
might simply respond by not releasing their HD-properties in MS/Intel
format.

Winfield

Allan wrote:
> http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...9074_tc024.htm

Stan Brown

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 09:47:43 -0400 in alt.video.dvd, Allan favored us
with...
> "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
> because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from
> -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
> - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Great line, and oh so true!

Viz a recent thread in rec.arts.tv where some morons insisted that
Carlos tampering with Gabby's birth control pills on /Desperate
Housewives/ was rape. Their justification was that it was more
serious than jaywalking, or something.

It's right up there with Heinlein's "Never try to teach a pig to
sing. You'll only waste your time, and annoy the pig."

I'm going to pinch it.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Justin

Stan Brown wrote on [Thu, 6 Oct 2005 15:56:12 -0400]:
> On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 09:47:43 -0400 in alt.video.dvd, Allan favored us
> with...
>> "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
>> because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from
>> -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
>> - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

> Great line, and oh so true!
>
> Viz a recent thread in rec.arts.tv where some morons insisted that
> Carlos tampering with Gabby's birth control pills on /Desperate
> Housewives/ was rape. Their justification was that it was more
> serious than jaywalking, or something.

Well, it kind of is. Instead of non impregnating sex she got
impregnating sex and stuck with those consequences.

The Man With No Name

"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
> Stan Brown wrote on [Thu, 6 Oct 2005 15:56:12 -0400]:
>> On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 09:47:43 -0400 in alt.video.dvd, Allan favored us
>> with...
>>> "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
>>> because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable
>>> from
>>> -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free
>>> time."
>>> - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

>> Great line, and oh so true!
>>
>> Viz a recent thread in rec.arts.tv where some morons insisted that
>> Carlos tampering with Gabby's birth control pills on /Desperate
>> Housewives/ was rape. Their justification was that it was more
>> serious than jaywalking, or something.

> Well, it kind of is. Instead of non impregnating sex she got
> impregnating sex and stuck with those consequences.

So then, is it still rape if you use a condom?

(Couldn't resist replying. Although, I really don't want to get into an
in-depth argument here. I genuinely don't much care about the subject one
way or the other.)

Justin

The Man With No Name wrote on [Fri, 7 Oct 2005 12:22:48 +1000]:

> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
>> Stan Brown wrote on [Thu, 6 Oct 2005 15:56:12 -0400]:
>>> On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 09:47:43 -0400 in alt.video.dvd, Allan favored us
>>> with...
>>>
>>> Great line, and oh so true!
>>>
>>> Viz a recent thread in rec.arts.tv where some morons insisted that
>>> Carlos tampering with Gabby's birth control pills on /Desperate
>>> Housewives/ was rape. Their justification was that it was more
>>> serious than jaywalking, or something.

>> Well, it kind of is. Instead of non impregnating sex she got
>> impregnating sex and stuck with those consequences.

> So then, is it still rape if you use a condom?

In that situation, no.

Deliberately misleading someone into believing they have a birth control
method in play and you clearly know they don't.

Sort of like knowing you have an STD and the other person doesn't know

Bill Vermillion

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Stan Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 09:47:43 -0400 in alt.video.dvd, Allan favored us
>with...
>> "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
>> because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from
>> -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
>> - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

>Great line, and oh so true!
>
>Viz a recent thread in rec.arts.tv where some morons insisted that
>Carlos tampering with Gabby's birth control pills on /Desperate
>Housewives/ was rape. Their justification was that it was more
>serious than jaywalking, or something.
>
>It's right up there with Heinlein's "Never try to teach a pig to
>sing. You'll only waste your time, and annoy the pig."

>I'm going to pinch it.

Or try this:

It was early last October
And I was far from sober
As I staggered down the street with great pride

My feet began to stutter
So I lay down in the gutter
And a hog walked up and laid down by my side

As I lay there in the gutter
My heart was all a flutter
As a lady passing by was heard to say.

You can tell a man who boozes
By the company he chooses
So the hog got up and slowly walked away.

BIll

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

The Man With No Name

"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
> The Man With No Name wrote on [Fri, 7 Oct 2005 12:22:48 +1000]:
>>
>> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...

>>> Well, it kind of is. Instead of non impregnating sex she got
>>> impregnating sex and stuck with those consequences.

>> So then, is it still rape if you use a condom?

> In that situation, no.
>
> Deliberately misleading someone into believing they have a birth control
> method in play and you clearly know they don't.
>
> Sort of like knowing you have an STD and the other person doesn't know

Well, how is that rape?
I can see how most people would consider it immoral. You could even make a
good argument that it's a form of murder.
But, I don't think anyone would consider deliberately infecting someone
with an STD to be rape.

Derek Janssen

The Man With No Name wrote:

>>>Great line, and oh so true!
>>>
>>>Viz a recent thread in rec.arts.tv where some morons insisted that
>>>Carlos tampering with Gabby's birth control pills on /Desperate
>>>Housewives/ was rape. Their justification was that it was more
>>>serious than jaywalking, or something.

>>Well, it kind of is. Instead of non impregnating sex she got
>>impregnating sex and stuck with those consequences.

> So then, is it still rape if you use a condom?
>
> (Couldn't resist replying.

Evidently--
At which point, we now introduce you to Internet troll concept #2, the
"Tar Baby"...

So named for the folktale object at which helpless victims would try to
"hit back" and find themselves stuck fast to the elbow...He hopes.
Even to the point of the farthest stream-of-consciousness thread
drifting, just so long as the thread can be prolonged on life support,
and no connection is too vague or bewildering, so long as it can be tied
to Controversial Sucker-Topic Button #1 through 23.

From which, as matched defensive maneuver we move on to Internet
ANTI-troll concept #3, "Pulling the Trap-Door Lever".
To which fans of old "Laugh-In" reruns, we need offer no explanation.

Derek Janssen (imaginary image of victim troll plummeting out of shot
with Goofy-whoop, optional)

Kimba W. Lion

Allan <(E-Mail Removed) t> wrote:

>http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...9074_tc024.htm

"[Blu-Ray's] supporters are convinced costs will be similar over the long
term."

It costs a lot more, and they figure they can just tell people it doesn't.

"Next-generation DVDs will feature high-definition movies, extras like
movie-themed computer games, and the ability to download film trailers from
the Internet."

OOOH! Download trailers? Nobody's EVER been able to do that before!

"Movie studios, struggling with a sudden slowdown in the $18 billion-a-year
U.S. DVD market, are salivating over the chance to entice consumers with
movies on new high-definition disks."

This is the insanity that is business today. They had an explosive growth
period as people bought into it. That can't go on forever, but they build
business models as if it could. There is no slowdown except from the
perspective of an idiot who thinks it would expand at 100% per year forever.

"Microsoft and Intel, hungry for new growth opportunities, want to expand
their roles in people's lives, helping them manage digital photos or
download the next Batman flick off of the Net."

Heh. "Manage." hoo boy.

"Blu-ray equipped devices are even designed to recognize and refuse to play
pirated movies. Such protections are another big reason Sony has won the
support of studios, such as News Corp.'s Fox (NWS )."

The emphasis is always on what they WON'T ALLOW people to do. UOPs already
plague current DVDs. They should focus on a player that WORKS for people who
want to use it legitimately, and then think about what they can lock out.
(Said from the perspective of just having a DVD from a major studio get
locked in an endless play-the-commercials loop.)

"No company has more at stake than Sony. Long one of the most innovative
companies in electronics, it stumbled badly in recent years."

Sony has always had marketing problems.

"Sony's people have "bet the entire future on this," says analyst Michael
Pachter of Wedbush Morgan Securities. "It's too important for them to lose,
so they will do everything they can to win.""

Which is not a situation that should inspire trust in us folks out here in
consumerland.

"[Betamax] lost out to Matsushita's VHS, in part because its onerous
licensing terms alienated the Hollywood studios."

Yeah, it had nothing to do with short recording times, a separate extra-cost
timer, clunky design... any of that. They alienated the consumer early on,
and then people just wanted to buy what everyone else had bought. Which
makes sense.

"Then on June 15, the Blu-ray camp decided against using Microsoft's IHD
technology to add interactive features to Blu-ray disks, opting instead to
stick with software based on Java technology."

Gotta love that, tho.

""They have a Trojan Horse that will play a critical role in igniting the
market for this product""

Somebody's gotta learn some new terms. Hands up everyone who thinks a
"Trojan Horse" is something you want.