Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > New "Fly" 2 DVD Edition

New "Fly" 2 DVD Edition

TB

I haven't gone off on a rant about any dvds I've picked up in a while but
after watching the new 2 disc dvd of "The Fly" by Cronnenberg the last
couple of days, I had to break that streak.

Anyone familiar and a fan of this movie is in for a big revelation when they
see this special edition dvd. It has some really cool deleted scenes
including the unused ending where Geen Davis character dreams their unborn
son "hatches" as a human butterfly. Plus a really gory, long scene in which
a baboon and a cat are merged together and wind up attacking Goldblum's
character who kills it with a pipe. Also cool from a geek standpoint is the
segment showing all the different maquettes and props for mostly unused
designs for the various stages of the "fly." I haven't got around to
listening to Cronnenberg's complete commentary track yet, but judging from
the few minutes I did listen to when I first watched the movie, it's David's
usual, informative yet dry commentary.

Well worth the $12 or so this dvd can be had for.

T.B.

shinner

"TB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:qUW0f.176$(E-Mail Removed):

> I haven't gone off on a rant about any dvds I've picked up in a while
> but after watching the new 2 disc dvd of "The Fly" by Cronnenberg the
> last couple of days, I had to break that streak.
>
> Anyone familiar and a fan of this movie is in for a big revelation
> when they see this special edition dvd. It has some really cool
> deleted scenes including the unused ending where Geen Davis character
> dreams their unborn son "hatches" as a human butterfly. Plus a really
> gory, long scene in which a baboon and a cat are merged together and
> wind up attacking Goldblum's character who kills it with a pipe. Also
> cool from a geek standpoint is the segment showing all the different
> maquettes and props for mostly unused designs for the various stages
> of the "fly." I haven't got around to listening to Cronnenberg's
> complete commentary track yet, but judging from the few minutes I did
> listen to when I first watched the movie, it's David's usual,
> informative yet dry commentary.
>
> Well worth the $12 or so this dvd can be had for.

That was a rant? Sounded more like a rave....

Black Locust

In article <qUW0f.176$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"TB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I haven't gone off on a rant about any dvds I've picked up in a while but
> after watching the new 2 disc dvd of "The Fly" by Cronnenberg the last
> couple of days, I had to break that streak.
>
> Anyone familiar and a fan of this movie is in for a big revelation when they
> see this special edition dvd. It has some really cool deleted scenes
> including the unused ending where Geen Davis character dreams their unborn
> son "hatches" as a human butterfly. Plus a really gory, long scene in which
> a baboon and a cat are merged together and wind up attacking Goldblum's
> character who kills it with a pipe. Also cool from a geek standpoint is the
> segment showing all the different maquettes and props for mostly unused
> designs for the various stages of the "fly." I haven't got around to
> listening to Cronnenberg's complete commentary track yet, but judging from
> the few minutes I did listen to when I first watched the movie, it's David's
> usual, informative yet dry commentary.
>
> Well worth the $12 or so this dvd can be had for.
>
> T.B.

I agree. I was pleasently surprised to see they also put out a nice 2
disc 'Collectors Edition" of The Fly II to boot. I've always enjoyed
that one, even if most other people didn't..

Si

TB wrote:
> It has some really cool deleted scenes
> including the unused ending where Geen Davis character dreams their unborn
> son "hatches" as a human butterfly.

This is strange. I have been convinced for a number of years that I saw
such a scene at the end of the film on TV once. Having never seen it
again I thought I was going mad. Is it possible that this scene got
included in some TV presentations of the film? If it makes any
difference, it would most likely have been UK TV (definitely not US.)

Si

Si

Si wrote:
> TB wrote:
>
>> It has some really cool deleted scenes including the unused ending
>> where Geen Davis character dreams their unborn son "hatches" as a
>> human butterfly.

> This is strange. I have been convinced for a number of years that I saw
> such a scene at the end of the film on TV once. Having never seen it
> again I thought I was going mad. Is it possible that this scene got
> included in some TV presentations of the film? If it makes any
> difference, it would most likely have been UK TV (definitely not US.)
>
> Si

You know, I'm talking through my waistcoat. That's not the ending I
thought I saw. I'm getting mixed up with something else. Must be losing
my marbles...

Si

TB

"Black Locust" wrote:

(snip)

> I agree. I was pleasently surprised to see they also put out a nice 2
> disc 'Collectors Edition" of The Fly II to boot. I've always enjoyed
> that one, even if most other people didn't..

Yeah, same here. I watched the 2nd disc of that one last night for the extra
material and while I don't think it was nearly up to the same level of
content the Cronnenberg movie's dvd has, it was still pretty enjoyable. The
thing that really caught my attention was some of the designs for the Fly
craeture in various stages for both movies seemed to be much more intersting
and unique, even more "fly-like" than what they used.

Also, imo the Japanese producers of the "Godzilla vs Megaguirus" movie
totally ripped off the head of the 2nd Fly movies' creature for their giant
insect monster.

T.B.