Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Hitchcock and other newly digitally remastered old movies - wait for high-def?

Hitchcock and other newly digitally remastered old movies - wait for high-def?

karlpov

I notice that the Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection's major
selling points for those with the old DVDs is 1) another DVD with
bonus-type material and 2) new digital remasterings.

The remasterings are, of course, not high-def. Is it likely that we
will see triple-dipping in the future with high-def editions, or would
high-def be likely to enhance movies this old?

Kimba W. Lion

karlpov <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The remasterings are, of course, not high-def. Is it likely that we
>will see triple-dipping in the future with high-def editions, or would
>high-def be likely to enhance movies this old?

Triple-dipping is the point of the push for a new format. The DVD market is
no longer expanding at 100% per year, and the companies think they can
re-create that.

Any movie, no matter how old, can benefit from a proper transfer to a
higher-resolution format, but the main questions are, how much of a
difference will it make on a standard home screen, and how many people will
actually notice the difference? I'm not talking about DVD geeks who already
know what the formats are, I'm talking the average person who still has an
SD TV, thinks VHS looked pretty good at the SLP speed, and wishes that DVD
movies didn't have those black bars on the top and bottom of the picture.
This is the market where the majority of sales are made. Re-buying stuff
that's been out on DVD ain't gonna have much appeal to them. Whatver hi-def
format survives the format war is probably going to be merely a niche
format, like LD was during the heyday of VHS, so expect sustained high
prices and limited releases.

One-Shot Scot

karlpov <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The remasterings are, of course, not high-def. Is it likely that we
>will see triple-dipping in the future with high-def editions, or would
>high-def be likely to enhance movies this old?

<<Triple-dipping is the point of the push for a new format. The DVD market
is no longer expanding at 100% per year, and the companies think they can
re-create that.>>

<<Any movie, no matter how old, can benefit from a proper transfer to a
higher-resolution format, but the main questions are, how much of a
difference will it make on a standard home screen, and how many people will
actually notice the difference? I'm not talking about DVD geeks who already
know what the formats are, I'm talking the average person who still has an
SD TV, thinks VHS looked pretty good at the SLP speed, and wishes that DVD
movies didn't have those black bars on the top and bottom of the picture.
This is the market where the majority of sales are made. Re-buying stuff
that's been out on DVD ain't gonna have much appeal to them. Whatver hi-def
format survives the format war is probably going to be merely a niche
format, like LD was during the heyday of VHS, so expect sustained high
prices and limited releases.>>

I am in total agreement with your premise: After the introduction of DVD, we
reached the point of diminishing returns. I think that Hi-Definition DVD
will receive the same ****-warm reception that DVD-A and SACD have gotten.
The quantum leap between other audio formats (LPs and tapes) and CDs was
easily discernible to the average consumer. But there is not enough
discernable difference between audio CDs and the warring DVD-A and SACD
formats to interest the majority of consumers. Besides, you don't need DVD-A
and SACD sources to create music files for your iPod.

With the possible exception of DVD, it seems that home video and audio
cannot change formats without a format war: Beta vs. VHS, LaserDisc vs.
SelectaVision and DVD-A vs. SACD. Now, we have to endure the Blu-ray vs.
HD-DVD bullshit. But, when and if this new format war ever ends, the average
consumer -- the people who REALLY drive the marketplace -- will not be
interested in investing in a new video format that only provides what they
will perceive as marginally-better picture and sound. Nearly all new DVD
single and double-disk sets sell in the $15 - $20 range. Later, many of
these same titles will sell for under $10. In addition, good-quality DVD
players are readily available for under $80. If this DVD price structure had
not come about, DVD would never have become as popular as it did, in so
short a time.

I can only hope that the movie industry will not resort to releasing
exclusive Hi-Definition DVD titles in an attempt to force consumers into
changing formats. They will only be cutting their own throats if they try
this. We can look back at the DIVX fiasco to see how such an arm-twisting
strategy turned out.

AZ Nomad

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 07:03:10 -0700, One-Shot Scot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><<Any movie, no matter how old, can benefit from a proper transfer to a
>higher-resolution format, but the main questions are, how much of a

Higher resolution? Are you still talking about hitchcock films?

As far as I know, hitchcock never used consumer portable cameras for his work.

HDTV isn't one tenth as good as the worst hitchcock film.

Black Locust

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"One-Shot Scot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I can only hope that the movie industry will not resort to releasing
> exclusive Hi-Definition DVD titles in an attempt to force consumers into
> changing formats. They will only be cutting their own throats if they try
> this. We can look back at the DIVX fiasco to see how such an arm-twisting
> strategy turned out.

This seems unlikely. Look at how they have continued to support the
archaic 'dead in the water' VHS format all through out the DVD boom. In
point of fact, Star Wars Episode III is the first MAJOR release from a
studio to not see a VHS release of any sort, but this is happening in
late 2005; 8 years after the launch of DVD and after the fact that 9 out
of every 10 people already own a DVD player(most of them willingly so,
not because they were forced). Those poor few losers who are STILL(!)
VHSing it due to sheer ignorance and technophobia have now become
completely insignificant, so much so that Fox and other Hollywood giants
can now safely(as if it wasn't safe to do so 3 or even 4 years ago...
doh!) release even the biggest movies exclusively to DVD.

Then again, the mindset in Hollywood has now become "Suck the consumer
of every last penny by repeatedly releasing the same movies over and
over again." The way they all jumped on the UMD/PSP movie thing as
quickly as humanly possible when there's hardly even a market for movies
on the format makes me sick to my stomach. So who knows, maybe they will
eventually try to force us to upgrade by pulling that sort of stunt... I
wouldn't put anything past them anymore.

One-Shot Scot

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"One-Shot Scot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I can only hope that the movie industry will not resort to releasing
> exclusive Hi-Definition DVD titles in an attempt to force consumers into
> changing formats. They will only be cutting their own throats if they try
> this. We can look back at the DIVX fiasco to see how such an arm-twisting
> strategy turned out.

<<This seems unlikely. Look at how they have continued to support the
archaic 'dead in the water' VHS format all through out the DVD boom. In
point of fact, Star Wars Episode III is the first MAJOR release from a
studio to not see a VHS release of any sort, but this is happening in late
2005; 8 years after the launch of DVD and after the fact that 9 out of
every 10 people already own a DVD player (most of them willingly so, not
because they were forced). Those poor few losers who are STILL(!) VHSing it
due to sheer ignorance and technophobia have now become completely
insignificant, so much so that Fox and other Hollywood giants can now
safely (as if it wasn't safe to do so 3 or even 4 years ago... doh!)
release even the biggest movies exclusively to DVD.>>

<<Then again, the mindset in Hollywood has now become "Suck the consumer of
every last penny by repeatedly releasing the same movies over and over
again." The way they all jumped on the UMD/PSP movie thing as quickly as
humanly possible when there's hardly even a market for movies on the format
makes me sick to my stomach. So who knows, maybe they will eventually try to
force us to upgrade by pulling that sort of stunt... I wouldn't put
anything past them anymore.>>

Speaking of sucking the consumer dry, I find it interesting that _Star Wars
Episode III_ is not going to be available on any dead video formats. It is
unlike George Lucas to do anything so rational, because in April of 2000 he
released _Star Wars Episode I_ on Japanese LaserDisc -- but the DVD did not
come out until October 2001. (Of course, this movie was available on VHS.)

If I recall correctly, the imported Japanese LaserDisc was available in the
US for around $125, but George Lucas later made it available on his Star
Wars website for a modest $80.

And didn't George Lucas also make the undefiled versions of _Star Wars_
Episodes IV, V, and VI available only on VHS and LaserDisc?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120915/laserdisc

Black Locust

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"One-Shot Scot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Speaking of sucking the consumer dry, I find it interesting that _Star Wars
> Episode III_ is not going to be available on any dead video formats. It is
> unlike George Lucas to do anything so rational, because in April of 2000 he
> released _Star Wars Episode I_ on Japanese LaserDisc -- but the DVD did not
> come out until October 2001. (Of course, this movie was available on VHS.)
>
> If I recall correctly, the imported Japanese LaserDisc was available in the
> US for around $125, but George Lucas later made it available on his Star
> Wars website for a modest $80.
>
> And didn't George Lucas also make the undefiled versions of _Star Wars_
> Episodes IV, V, and VI available only on VHS and LaserDisc?

Not only that, but look at how long it took him to get the original
trilogy on DVD. Still, I applaud Lucas for getting Fox Home Video to
forgo a VHS release of Revenge of the Sith. This is something the movie
studios should have started doing years ago.

One-Shot Scot

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"One-Shot Scot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> And didn't George Lucas also make the undefiled versions of _Star Wars_
> Episodes IV, V, and VI available only on VHS and LaserDisc?

<<Not only that, but look at how long it took him to get the original
trilogy on DVD. Still, I applaud Lucas for getting Fox Home Video to forgo a
VHS release of Revenge of the Sith. This is something the movie studios
should have started doing years ago.>>

Yes, VHS is history, as far as new releases are concerned. The only reason
that VHS is still alive is because there are lots of movie titles that are
not available on DVD and they will probably never be available on DVD.