Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > PLEASE: Need Good Advice on Buying Region-Free DVD/Video Combo!

PLEASE: Need Good Advice on Buying Region-Free DVD/Video Combo!

Jeff Rife

Franklin Hummel ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> > The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
> > http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

> Thanks, I will look at this. I hope it is of help to me.

Actually, that isn't the FAQ for this group, but rather a "rogue FAQ" with
very little real information.

Try http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html for the actual DVD FAQ.

--
Jeff Rife |
| "He chose...poorly."
|
| -- Grail Knight, "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade"

FAQmeister

"Jeff Rife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Franklin Hummel ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>>> The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
>>> http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

>> Thanks, I will look at this. I hope it is of help to me.

> Actually, that isn't the FAQ for this group, but rather a "rogue FAQ"

LOLOL
--
The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

Franklin Hummel

"FAQmeister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:dhnkdr$cfd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Jeff Rife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>>>
>>> Thanks, I will look at this. I hope it is of help to me.

> Actually, that isn't the FAQ for this group, but rather a "rogue FAQ" with
> very little real information.
> Try http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html for the actual DVD FAQ.
>

> LOLOL
> The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
> http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

Uh-oh. Possible flame war starting.

Can we try to stay on the subject of the thread, please?

-- Franklin Hummel in Boston, Massachusetts
--
* Show Your Miskatonic University Gay Pride! *
Buy T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Buttons & Postcards at:

Franklin Hummel

"Homer J Simpson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Ironically some of the $40 DVD players I see in Canada imply that they will play any
> region DVD in any format on any TV including NTSC.

I've always wanted to move and live in Canada. They often just seem a lot saner than the
USA.
-- Franklin Hummel in Boston, Massachusetts

---
* Show Your Miskatonic University Gay Pride! *
Buy T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Buttons & Postcards at:
http://www.cafepress.com/gay_miskatonic

Bill Vermillion

In article <r6H%e.258851$9A2.248305@edtnps89>,
Homer J Simpson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Franklin Hummel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:dhnatn$pg5$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Thanks for the info. It might come to this for me, sadly. I
>> barely have enough for what the combos are priced at. I don't
>> know what I am going to do.

>Ironically some of the $40 DVD players I see in Canada imply that
>they will play any region DVD in any format on any TV including
>NTSC.

Same here in the areas below the 49th Parallel. My Philips
has the option to output whatever format the disk is record
with so it will work with multi-standard TV sets, or it can be set
to be either PAL or NTSC. This setting makes a disk recorded in
either PAL or NTSC be ouput at the setting.

And with 4 keystrokes on the remote it plays any region.

What I found interesting is that an older all-region player would
come up with a warning/nagging messages when putting a region 1
disk when it was set for all regions.

It implied that I had modified my machine in not the most
politically correct way IMO. The new machine plays disks with RCE
just fine.

Considering how things change it's too bad the original poster
doesn't consider separate VCR and DVD combinations. They give you
more flexibility IMO.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

"Franklin Hummel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dhmd8s$ugo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Please *answer* this if you can, because I really need your help so that I
> am not screwed over when I make a purchase!
>
> I've see messages on Usenet and heard from people I know about getting
> burned when they purchased what I want to buy: a Region-Free DVD/Video
> Combo.
>
> I do NOT want to get something which is going to be a nightmare to set-up.
> I can deal with maybe buying a few special plugs if that is what is needed
> to get it to work with my 6-year old United-States NTSC television set.
>
> What I do NOT want to get is something that is going to need another $100+
> piece of electronics to get it to work or something that turns out to need
> a multi-system TV for it to even show a picture.
>
> I've read here and elsewhere about such problems -- as well as good
> products. But I'd would really welcome advice on something which would
> not only be a good buy -- but WORKS.
>
> As I said, my TV is about 6 years old. It works fine, but all it has for
> an impute is a coaxial impute plug, so I am going to be able to need the
> combo to work with that.
>
> I'm looking for something between $200-$250. I might be able to go up to
> $275 but that would be the extend of the money I have for this -- unless
> the combo being suggested is really, really easy to set0up and make work
> with my TV.
>
> If special instructions are needed to set-up, beyond what is in the
> manual, I want to be SURE they are included when I buy the unit.
>
> If you can give information on where I might purchase this item online, a
> place you KNOW honest and very helpful to their customers, that would be
> great and really helpful to me.
>
> I'm willing to pay perhaps more if I can get a good unit which offers
> quality it what it shows, that isn't a nightmare to set-up, and that it
> ABOVE ALL ELSE -- **works** with my TV!
>
> I just cannot take the stress and frustration of getting a piece of junk
> which won't work for my TV.

After reading your entire post (twice) I feel you would be making a mistake
buying such a unit until you buy a new stereo TV set with a variety of video
inputs.

Norm Strong

Invid Fan

In article <dhok2o$ejj$(E-Mail Removed)>, Franklin Hummel
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "FAQmeister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dhnkdr$cfd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Jeff Rife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)

> > Actually, that isn't the FAQ for this group, but rather a "rogue FAQ" with
> > very little real information.
> > Try http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html for the actual DVD FAQ.
> >

> > LOLOL
> > The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
> > http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

> Uh-oh. Possible flame war starting.
>
> Can we try to stay on the subject of the thread, please?

Look, you've been around newsgroups long enough to know better then to
even suggest that

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

jayembee

"Franklin Hummel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is there a DVD/VCR combo with a remote control hack? I just want
> the DVD Region-Free on it; I really don't care that much about playing
> PAL videos.

So why do you need the combo? I assumed that's why you wanted it:
to be able to play either non-R1 PAL DVDs as well as PAL videos.

If you just want to play NTSC tapes, it'd be a hell of a lot simpler to
get a region-free DVD player and a separate VCR.

> And will it play PAL DVDs after the hack?

The Philips 642 DVD player can be made region-free through a simple
remote command. And, yes, it plays PAL DVDs after the hack. It also
displays anamorphic PAL DVDs properly, and plays VCDs, SVCDs,
and DivX/XviD-encoded files, as well. You can get one for $70 or
less at Target, Wal-Mart, or similar stores (more specifically, I bought
one of our two 642s at the Target near Wellington Circle).

> And since I am not very trusting now, how can I be sure this hack
> will WORK for me?

Because it works for everyone else who's tried it?

-- jayembee

Franklin Hummel

"Bill Vermillion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <r6H%e.258851$9A2.248305@edtnps89>,
> Homer J Simpson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>"Franklin Hummel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:dhnatn$pg5$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Thanks for the info. It might come to this for me, sadly. I
>>> barely have enough for what the combos are priced at. I don't
>>> know what I am going to do.

>>Ironically some of the $40 DVD players I see in Canada imply that
>>they will play any region DVD in any format on any TV including
>>NTSC.

> Considering how things change it's too bad the original poster
> doesn't consider separate VCR and DVD combinations. They give you
> more flexibility IMO.

Oh, I'm planning on separate ones now. It seems I have no choice after endless searching
on the net for what I wanted to have and no one does.

I just really hate the f*ck*ng thought of all those extra cables connecting everything to
everything and trying to fit two new devices into limited space.

I was going to buy the Phillips DVP-642 today. It was supposedly available in 5 of the 7
Best Buy stores around the area I live. By the time I was done trying to order it online
for same day pick-up, it turned out not a single one had it in stock.

I suspect they list online just about EVERYTHING Best Buy carried as being available in
every store. It's ONLY when someone asks for it that they record they don't (and likely
never did) have it.

-- Franklin Hummel in Boston, Massachusetts

* Show Your Miskatonic University Gay Pride! *
Buy T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Buttons & Postcards at:
http://www.cafepress.com/gay_miskatonic

kaboom

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 14:53:16 -0400, "Franklin Hummel"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Oh, I'm planning on separate ones now. It seems I have no choice after endless searching
>on the net for what I wanted to have and no one does.

**It's for the best. In case one piece of equipment breaks, you only
have to replace that single component.

>I just really hate the f*ck*ng thought of all those extra cables connecting everything to
>everything and trying to fit two new devices into limited space.

**Yea, I hear that. I have enough room, barely so but my TV only has a
co-ax cable input and one set of RCA (red yellow white) inputs. So I
bought a switchbox with 4 hookups. I can run 4 components into one
video line. (My audio is run into my stereo.)

>I was going to buy the Phillips DVP-642 today. It was supposedly available in 5 of the 7
>Best Buy stores around the area I live. By the time I was done trying to order it online
>for same day pick-up, it turned out not a single one had it in stock.

**I was searching for some Pioneer players and it said the Best Buy in
my area carried them so I went there and they didn't have anything. I
was looking for some recorders and it was the same thing, their
in-store inventory didn't match their online inventory.

>I suspect they list online just about EVERYTHING Best Buy carried as being available in
>every store. It's ONLY when someone asks for it that they record they don't (and likely
>never did) have it.

**Bah! They've ticked me off for the last time. I got burned on a
duplicate birthday gift for which I didn't have a receipt.

Franklin, do you have any Target stores by you? I've seen the 642 in
my local Target but I'm in Ann Arbor You can also try looking for
the Magnavox 458. I bought mine at Circuit City for $40-45. It's
essentially the same model, though I don't think it plays DivX or
Xvid. I use mine only for PAL discs, you can change the region through
the remote and I also use it for my burned discs. I'm aware that it's
a cheapo model so I use my old tank of a DVD player to play my regular
DVDs. I want to keep the mileage low on the cheapo.

kaboomie