Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Microsoft explains its decision to back HD DVD.

Microsoft explains its decision to back HD DVD.

Allan

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/78143/mi...ck-hd-dvd.html

Thursday 29th September 2005

Microsoft explains its decision to back HD DVD

Microsoft has explained its decision to back the HD DVD format for
high-definition optical discs rather than the rival Blu-ray
specification.

Jordi Ribas, Microsoft's director of technology strategy for Windows
Digital Media told Tom's Hardware Guide that the company's previous
neutrality had been abandoned because Blu-ray failed to meet six key
criteria.

'A year and a half ago, both format organisations had very similar
goals, and to some extent, the story of Blu-ray was actually very
powerful,' he said. 'It had higher capacity, it had what we would
consider benefits at the time. But then as time went on, and we'd seen
what's the reality of both formats today, and what were promises
versus what's proven and what's real, that's when we decided to make
the decision.'

The six features that Microsoft and Intel require are: the ability of
the consumer to make authorised copies of their discs so that they can
store content on a hard drive and stream it around the house; support
for hybrid discs that can be read by both current and future players;
low production costs; low replication costs; and storage capacity.

On the last point Ribas explained that although on paper Blu-ray has
the advantage, there is no evidence that 50GB discs exist anywhere
outside the lab and nor does it look like happening.

Microsoft's decision to throw its considerable weight behind HD DVD
coincided with a similar commitment from the equally weighty Intel.
Until recently it looked as if Blu-ray had seized the initiative in
what promises to be a mighty tussle to capture the high-definition
market in 2006 and beyond. It now seems that HD DVD has grabbed it
back.

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Tarkus

On 9/29/2005 6:14:59 AM, Allan wrote:

> Microsoft explains its decision to back HD DVD

Translation: Sony backs Blu-Ray; ergo, we don't.
--
"I'm your huckleberry."

Now playing: "Oceansize - No Tomorrow"

NunYa Bidness

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:12:36 -0700, Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave
us:

>On 9/29/2005 6:14:59 AM, Allan wrote:
>
>> Microsoft explains its decision to back HD DVD

>Translation: Sony backs Blu-Ray; ergo, we don't.

Sony: Playstation

MS: XBOX 360

Expected sales: Millions of pieces.

elrous0@pop.uky.edu

NunYa Bidness wrote:
> >> Microsoft explains its decision to back HD DVD

> >Translation: Sony backs Blu-Ray; ergo, we don't.

> Sony: Playstation
>
> MS: XBOX 360
>
> Expected sales: Millions of pieces.

The problem for HD-DVD right now is:

Sony: Blu-ray will be equipped on every single PS3 sold

MS: HD-DVD may or may not come to the Xbox 360 eventually, but most
systems will just have a standard DVD drive

Guess who has the edge here?

The only question right now is "Will PS3's be able to play Blu-ray
movies right out of the box?" And Sony would be damned fools not to
have this feature standard.

-Eric

Tarkus

On 10/4/2005 6:05:31 AM, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Sony: Blu-ray will be equipped on every single PS3 sold
>
> MS: HD-DVD may or may not come to the Xbox 360 eventually, but most
> systems will just have a standard DVD drive
>
> Guess who has the edge here?
>
> The only question right now is "Will PS3's be able to play Blu-ray
> movies right out of the box?" And Sony would be damned fools not to
> have this feature standard.

Why wouldn't they?
--
"I don't think anything bad ought to happen to children.
I think the bad stuff should be saved up for the people

Now playing: "Adrian Belew - Nude Wrestling With a Christma"