Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > OT: video tapes need a clean

OT: video tapes need a clean

fruitbat

I have bought a box full of movies on video tapes.
All are used, some are ex-rental.
How do I clean the tapes before using them?

FAQmeister

"fruitbat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:433b204f$(E-Mail Removed)
> I have bought a box full of movies on video tapes.
> All are used, some are ex-rental.
> How do I clean the tapes before using them?

You can't. However fast forwarding all the way to the end and then
rewinding them will repack the tape and knock off any loose particles.
Old tapes have a much higher probablility of clogging the heads on your
player so buy a head cleaning kit. You're going to need it.
--
The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

dubbah

FAQmeister wrote:
> "fruitbat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:433b204f$(E-Mail Removed)
> > I have bought a box full of movies on video tapes.
> > All are used, some are ex-rental.
> > How do I clean the tapes before using them?

> You can't. However fast forwarding all the way to the end and then
> rewinding them will repack the tape and knock off any loose particles.
> Old tapes have a much higher probablility of clogging the heads on your
> player so buy a head cleaning kit. You're going to need it.

Right, but not so fast, there is more: better to have a videotape
rewinding machine as well: the fast foward is also an option, good to
have both options on your rewinder (get more if you have countless
tapes) rather than wearing and tearing your VCR by using it to
rewind/fast fowarding videotapes. If your films can be copies to dvd,
go that way.