Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Upconverting HDMI DVD players - recommendations? Is Panasonic S77 the best?

Upconverting HDMI DVD players - recommendations? Is Panasonic S77 the best?

Aaron

After getting a HDTV with HDMI input, I want an upconverting DVD
player. I looked at my local stores and they have the following
available:

- Samsung HD-850 (*) and HD-851 - $130-$140
- Toshiba SD-4980, SD-5980 (*), and SD-V593 (*) - $125-$150
- Panasonic S77 (*) - $200-$225
- LG Electronics (model # ???) - $150
- Mitsubishi (model # ???) - $220 ?

I tried the ones I marked with a (*) above. I liked the Panasonic S77
the best because it can output HDMI audio while the coaxial/optical
audio outs are in raw bitstream (not PCM) mode, but its picture is not
$50 better than the Toshiba (in my opinion).

Are there any other brands people recommend that are better and
cheaper than the Panasonic S77?

It's important to me that the player can output HDMI audio while the
coaxial/optical outputs are in raw bitstream mode, and it would also
be nice if the player could output 480i on S-video, 480p on component,
and 1080i on HDMI at the same time. I know the Panasonic S77 can do
that and the Toshiba and Samsung models can't.

I saw the S97 listed on the Internet, but it appeared to be a model
not meant for sale in the US. I had trouble finding very many useful
reviews on Amazon or other sites (epinions and cnet) about these
players. Are these the only upconverting HDMI DVD players widely
available in the US or was I wrong to search using the terms
"upconvert* HDMI DVD" on Google?

Andrew Rossmann

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)se says...
> After getting a HDTV with HDMI input, I want an upconverting DVD
> player. I looked at my local stores and they have the following
> available:
>
> - Samsung HD-850 (*) and HD-851 - $130-$140
> - Toshiba SD-4980, SD-5980 (*), and SD-V593 (*) - $125-$150
> - Panasonic S77 (*) - $200-$225
> - LG Electronics (model # ???) - $150
> - Mitsubishi (model # ???) - $220 ?

Carefully read this review of several models, first. You may want to
wait for BluRay/HD-DVD instead:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...article_id=870

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross

Always listen those who have one. You may not get true HD(get a D-VHS for
that), but you get the best DVD you can right now. There is a difference.
Even some people who don't know one technology from another saw it. The
Panasonic is the champ.

--
www.unclet.netfirms.com
"Andrew Rossmann" <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed)se says...
>> After getting a HDTV with HDMI input, I want an upconverting DVD
>> player. I looked at my local stores and they have the following
>> available:
>>
>> - Samsung HD-850 (*) and HD-851 - $130-$140
>> - Toshiba SD-4980, SD-5980 (*), and SD-V593 (*) - $125-$150
>> - Panasonic S77 (*) - $200-$225
>> - LG Electronics (model # ???) - $150
>> - Mitsubishi (model # ???) - $220 ?

> Carefully read this review of several models, first. You may want to
> wait for BluRay/HD-DVD instead:
> http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...article_id=870
>
> --
> If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before replying!
> All junk mail senders will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the
> law!!
> http://home.att.net/~andyross

Please recommend an upconverting DVD player root DVD Video 4 08-18-2007 08:28 AM
Toshiba SD-4980, 5980, and V593 DVD players - no HDMI audio in bitstream mode? Michael DVD Video 0 09-26-2005 12:59 AM
Upconverting DVD players CJ DVD Video 7 09-18-2005 12:26 AM
HDMI DVD Players? daemon9 NZ Computing 3 08-21-2005 11:20 AM

Advertisments