Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > CD-DA to Wav to DVD as Wav files?

CD-DA to Wav to DVD as Wav files?

makbertodelete@anothermessage.com

Hello, readers!

Could you please advise me on any sofware that let me create PCM Wav
Files from CD-DA's (PCM 44/16), manipulate these Wav Files, to finally
burn them onto a DVD Data disc? By "manipulate", I mean normalizing
them, creting the 2 seconds standard "break" among them like in regular
CD-DA's, or actually "joining" two or more of these Wav Files like in
regular live CD-DA's where songs are continuously played without any
breaks.

Of course, I understand that I might need to change from CD-quality PCM
44/16 to DVD-quality PCM 48/16 in order for the disc to work, but I am
okay with that.

One more thing, please. I am not interested in changing these WAV's to
128 Kbps MP3's or 320 Kbps MP3's or anything in between. Why? Just
simply because I prefer Wav Files. And I understand that 320 Kbps MP3's
sound as good to human ears as CD-DA's. And why DVD's? Simply because I
can place up to six hours of WAV Files onto each DVD. And six hours of
songs on a DVD is enough for me. I am not interested in having 10, 15,
or 20 something hours on a DVD, at least not for now.

Finally, if this has been barely discussed on Usenet and on most other
boards, yes, there are some standalone players that can play DVD's
encoded with WAV Files.

I hope to read from you soon.

Best of the best,

Carlos Albert Lacaye
makberto(at)anothermessage(dot)com

Michael McInnis

Exact Audio Copy will rip to wave files and normalize them.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Regards,

MM

Michael McInnis Productions

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello, readers!
>
> Could you please advise me on any sofware that let me create PCM Wav
> Files from CD-DA's (PCM 44/16), manipulate these Wav Files, to finally
> burn them onto a DVD Data disc? By "manipulate", I mean normalizing
> them, creting the 2 seconds standard "break" among them like in regular
> CD-DA's, or actually "joining" two or more of these Wav Files like in
> regular live CD-DA's where songs are continuously played without any
> breaks.
>
> Of course, I understand that I might need to change from CD-quality PCM
> 44/16 to DVD-quality PCM 48/16 in order for the disc to work, but I am
> okay with that.
>
> One more thing, please. I am not interested in changing these WAV's to
> 128 Kbps MP3's or 320 Kbps MP3's or anything in between. Why? Just
> simply because I prefer Wav Files. And I understand that 320 Kbps MP3's
> sound as good to human ears as CD-DA's. And why DVD's? Simply because I
> can place up to six hours of WAV Files onto each DVD. And six hours of
> songs on a DVD is enough for me. I am not interested in having 10, 15,
> or 20 something hours on a DVD, at least not for now.
>
> Finally, if this has been barely discussed on Usenet and on most other
> boards, yes, there are some standalone players that can play DVD's
> encoded with WAV Files.
>
> I hope to read from you soon.
>
> Best of the best,
>
> Carlos Albert Lacaye
> makberto(at)anothermessage(dot)com

makbertodelete@anothermessage.com

Hello, MM!

Thank you! That's a step in the right direction. By any lucky chance,
do you know if the normalization is made via "peak normalization" or
"average normalization"? I cannot seem to find that information on the
site, but I will keep reading or contact the author in case you don't
know.

Until soon,

CA-L

fred-bloggs

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1127704972.634802.18700
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Hello, MM!
>
> Thank you! That's a step in the right direction. By any lucky chance,
> do you know if the normalization is made via "peak normalization" or
> "average normalization"? I cannot seem to find that information on the
> site, but I will keep reading or contact the author in case you don't
> know.

EAC does peak normalisation.

WaveGain does ReplayGain (equal loudness RMS) on wavs.
http://members.home.nl/w.speek/wavegain.htm
http://replaygain.hydrogenaudio.org/calculating_rg.html

--
fred

makbertodelete@anothermessage.com

Hello, Fred!

Thanks for your help.

As for I have been reading, quite some people think that ReplayGain is
the best solution. However, ReplayGain is not supported by most (or
all) standalone DVD players, so it doesn't actually normalize the WAV
files while being played by standalones.

Take care,

Carlos Albert Lacaye

P.S.: Yes, there are some standalone players that can read either CD's
with WAV files and/or DVD's with WAV files! Thanks!

fred-bloggs

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1127803036.033864.276500
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> Hello, Fred!
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> As for I have been reading, quite some people think that ReplayGain is
> the best solution. However, ReplayGain is not supported by most (or
> all) standalone DVD players, so it doesn't actually normalize the WAV
> files while being played by standalones.

Please read this
http://members.home.nl/w.speek/wavegain.htm

*Wavegain* performs the same analysis as ReplayGain but rather than
writing the ReplayGain value to an mp3 header (which is the purpose of
RG), Wavegain applies the level correction to the wav file itself. It
adjusts the perceived volume of each wav file *before* you write it to
dvd (or CD).

ReplayGain matches volume on playback, which _would_ require RG
compatability in the dvd player.

--
fred

makbertodelete@anothermessage.com

Hi, fred!

Wow! That's wonderful news! But please let me ask you a "dumb"
question, and I am sorry for my being a novice. Is it possible to apply
Wavegain to many WAV files at the same time as opposed to doing it one
by one?

Thanks again,

Carlos Albert L.

NRen2k5

On 9/27/2005 7:43:14 AM, wrote:
>Hi, fred!
>
>Wow! That's wonderful news! But please let me ask you a "dumb"
>question, and I am sorry for my being a novice. Is it possible to apply
>Wavegain to many WAV files at the same time as opposed to doing it one
>by one?
>
>Thanks again,
>
>Carlos Albert L.

Yes. You can do so easily using the WaveGain frontend. It can even treat folders as individual albums, so that the entire album is adjusted by the same level, meaning any tracks that transition into one another will still sound correct.

- NRen2k5

makbertodelete@anothermessage.com

Hi, NRen2k5!

Thank you kindly for your information.

I ran into another problem. It appears that, after using WaveGain, it
is not advisable to turn the volume too loud as it could cause
clipping. Is this correct? As I am using mainly disco music, it follows
that I will use loud music, at least some of the time. So I am
thinking, could it be that this WaveGain is not the best solution for
me? Also, normalizing by "average" levels can pose the same problem.
Hence, I am only left with "peak" levels. According to what I have
heard, "peak" levels is best to do within limits, say at 97% but only
when it is lower than 95% or higher than 98%. What do you or other
readers think of this?

Before I close, I will not leave the WAV files on my computer, I will
transfer them to discs to then be played on standalones.

Laters,

Carlos Albert L.

fred-bloggs

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1127828599.725803.73630
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Hi, NRen2k5!
>
> Thank you kindly for your information.
>
> I ran into another problem. It appears that, after using WaveGain, it
> is not advisable to turn the volume too loud as it could cause
> clipping. Is this correct? As I am using mainly disco music, it follows
> that I will use loud music, at least some of the time. So I am
> thinking, could it be that this WaveGain is not the best solution for
> me? Also, normalizing by "average" levels can pose the same problem.

If you use album gain on a whole folder of wav files and leave clipping
prevention turned on you will not get clipping and all files will sound
the same volume.

More information in WaveGainManual.htm

--
fred