Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Gladiator 3 disc

Gladiator 3 disc

Dragon

Ok guys apart from extras which the extra disc is obvious does anyone no
what extra mins are put in the film at all, i have the 2 disc UK edition
which according to rewind has no cuts but according to other sources the new
three disc is a longer version of the film. Could some one confirm this for
me

cheers dave

Patrick W. Heinske

Dragon wrote:
> Ok guys apart from extras which the extra disc is obvious does anyone no
> what extra mins are put in the film at all, i have the 2 disc UK edition
> which according to rewind has no cuts but according to other sources the new
> three disc is a longer version of the film. Could some one confirm this for
> me
>
> cheers dave

Yeah, it's longer.

RobMac

"Dragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:R45Ue.28821$(E-Mail Removed) k...
> Ok guys apart from extras which the extra disc is obvious does anyone no
> what extra mins are put in the film at all, i have the 2 disc UK edition
> which according to rewind has no cuts but according to other sources the
> new three disc is a longer version of the film. Could some one confirm
> this for me
>
> cheers dave

The US Theatrical Release has a running time of 155 minutes
The UK Theatrical Release has a running time of 155 minutes (same as US, as
far as I can tell)
The new Extended Edition has a running time of 171 minutes (adding 17
minutes)

It should be noted, however, that Ridley considers the 2000 (155 minute)
version the "Director's Cut" (just as his 1979 version of Alien was the
"Director's Cut") and this new 2005 DVD Extended Edition is just that, an
"extended" version of his film, but he does not prefer it to the 2000
version. DVD gives director (as well as the audience) the ability to see an
alternate version of a movie, and nothing else.

My only complaint about the new 2005 EE of Gladiator is that the DTS 6.1-ES
soundtrack is absent, and this is a far superior track to the Dolby Digital
5.1-EX track (please, no DD vs. DTS flames here, some DD tracks are superior
to DTS, but if you've ever compared the DD to DTS track on Gladiator I can't
see how you'd disagree with me here).

The info track on the new DVD is pretty cool (and overloaded with Roman
History...I was getting a headache trying to keep up - and that's a good
thing) and the Commentary with Scott and Crowe is interesting and fun
(Ridley definitely needs a companion to talk to during his commentaries,
left to his own he's quite boring, though informative, I get tired listening
to him - literally tired, but here with Crowe he's kept lively and
involved). It's also great to have the very detailed and in depth behind the
scenes looks!

P Pron

Dragon wrote:
|| Ok guys apart from extras which the extra disc is obvious does
|| anyone no what extra mins are put in the film at all, i have the 2
|| disc UK edition which according to rewind has no cuts but according
|| to other sources the new three disc is a longer version of the film.
|| Could some one confirm this for me
|| cheers dave

Hi Dave

The answer is at
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...postid=2778757

Always worth checking http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/home.php3?soeg=all&mvis=ok
with questions like this - it doesn't have everything, but is a good place
to start when looking for reviews...

paul

Jeff Rife

RobMac ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> My only complaint about the new 2005 EE of Gladiator is that the DTS 6.1-ES
> soundtrack is absent, and this is a far superior track to the Dolby Digital
> 5.1-EX track (please, no DD vs. DTS flames here, some DD tracks are superior
> to DTS, but if you've ever compared the DD to DTS track on Gladiator I can't
> see how you'd disagree with me here).

Did you actually buy the extended edition and listen to the soundtrack? It
doesn't have to be the same as the original DD track.

--
Jeff Rife | "You may find this strange, but I think body
| piercing is a good thing. It gives us a
| quick way to tell that people ain't right,
| just by lookin' at 'em."
| -- Hank Hill, "King of the Hill"

zjustice

jeff

great hank quote !

"Jeff Rife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> RobMac ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>> My only complaint about the new 2005 EE of Gladiator is that the DTS
>> 6.1-ES
>> soundtrack is absent, and this is a far superior track to the Dolby
>> Digital
>> 5.1-EX track (please, no DD vs. DTS flames here, some DD tracks are
>> superior
>> to DTS, but if you've ever compared the DD to DTS track on Gladiator I
>> can't
>> see how you'd disagree with me here).

> Did you actually buy the extended edition and listen to the soundtrack?
> It
> doesn't have to be the same as the original DD track.
>
> --
> Jeff Rife | "You may find this strange, but I think body
> | piercing is a good thing. It gives us a
> | quick way to tell that people ain't right,
> | just by lookin' at 'em."
> | -- Hank Hill, "King of the Hill"

Alex Panda

"Jeff Rife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> RobMac ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>> My only complaint about the new 2005 EE of Gladiator is that the DTS
>> 6.1-ES
>> soundtrack is absent, and this is a far superior track to the Dolby
>> Digital
>> 5.1-EX track (please, no DD vs. DTS flames here, some DD tracks are
>> superior
>> to DTS, but if you've ever compared the DD to DTS track on Gladiator I
>> can't
>> see how you'd disagree with me here).

> Did you actually buy the extended edition and listen to the soundtrack?
> It
> doesn't have to be the same as the original DD track.

Plenty of review sites have confirmed that it is the same DD track and is
clearly inferior.

Jeff Rife

Alex Panda ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> > Did you actually buy the extended edition and listen to the soundtrack?
> > It
> > doesn't have to be the same as the original DD track.

> Plenty of review sites have confirmed that it is the same DD track and is
> clearly inferior.

OK, but I'd also seen a lot of review sites that said that it was good,
and DTS wasn't a real loss considering what was gained, so I couldn't tell
if it was the same or not. It's not high on my buy list, so I don't have
it myself.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Peanuts/TenPin.gif

Tricky Dicky

"Jeff Rife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alex Panda ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>> > Did you actually buy the extended edition and listen to the soundtrack?
>> > It
>> > doesn't have to be the same as the original DD track.

>> Plenty of review sites have confirmed that it is the same DD track and is
>> clearly inferior.

> OK, but I'd also seen a lot of review sites that said that it was good,
> and DTS wasn't a real loss considering what was gained, so I couldn't tell
> if it was the same or not. It's not high on my buy list, so I don't have
> it myself.

Btw, I believe the Superbit of Gladiator is now OOP and is changing hands at
well over original price

Tricky

Dick Sidbury

Tricky Dicky wrote:
> "Jeff Rife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>Plenty of review sites have confirmed that it is the same DD track and is
>>>clearly inferior.

>>OK, but I'd also seen a lot of review sites that said that it was good,
>>and DTS wasn't a real loss considering what was gained, so I couldn't tell
>>if it was the same or not. It's not high on my buy list, so I don't have
>>it myself.

> Btw, I believe the Superbit of Gladiator is now OOP and is changing hands at
> well over original price
>
> Tricky

I never heard of a Superbit version of Gladiator. Can someone amplify?

dick

OCZ Gladiator Max Ian Front Page News 0 01-02-2009 04:59 PM
strange "Gladiator" Collectors Edition question..... Mr. Moe DVD Video 6 03-11-2005 03:55 PM
"Gladiator" Gold Series Maverick Dude DVD Video 2 06-08-2004 11:46 PM
Gladiator Forerunner??? Hawkeye DVD Video 4 06-06-2004 07:44 AM
Gladiator 6.1 - confused! Iain Mackenzie DVD Video 6 11-09-2003 01:23 AM

Advertisments