Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Free S/W needed: Supplied PowerDVD doesn't work

Free S/W needed: Supplied PowerDVD doesn't work

maggie_g47@hotmail.com

Hi,

The software that came with my DVD player doesn't work. Can someone
recommend a free player that doesn't voluntarily comply with that
Macrovision #&$%!

My problem seems to be that the video card built into my computer is
too old to send that ____ Macrovision signal to prevent copying to
VCRs. There isn't even a TV Out!

The weird thing is, PowerDVD used to work just fine on every single DVD
I ever tried to play, and a couple days ago it started giving the error
message "The TV Out port of your display card is not working properly.
(Detailed) This copy protected disc can not be played when the TV out
function is enabled." I searched for a solution and found page after
page of people who have this problem, with no clear solution, unless
you happen to have a specific video card there's a patch for. The ways
it's supposed to work is that if there IS a TV Out AND it's enabled,
then PowerDVD won't play it - to prevent illegal copying. Well, it's
NOT working that way as I HAVE NOT TV OUT. ______!

_______ copy protection preventing people from even WATCHING the _____
movie!

Any help appreciated. Any why did PowerDVD quit working? I didn't
change anything. I downloaded and installed a new driver from SiS,
which didn't change anything.

(The video card built into my mother board uses the SiS 630 chipset, in
case you know of a FIXED driver for it.)

I hope I don't have to go buy a specific video card that has an online
CRACK for it so I can PLAY my _____ movies on my computer.

Thanks

Matthew Memmory

> Hi,
>
> The software that came with my DVD player doesn't work. Can someone
> recommend a free player that doesn't voluntarily comply with that
> Macrovision #&$%!
>
> My problem seems to be that the video card built into my computer is
> too old to send that ____ Macrovision signal to prevent copying to
> VCRs. There isn't even a TV Out!
>
> The weird thing is, PowerDVD used to work just fine on every single DVD
> I ever tried to play, and a couple days ago it started giving the error
> message "The TV Out port of your display card is not working properly.
> (Detailed) This copy protected disc can not be played when the TV out
> function is enabled." I searched for a solution and found page after
> page of people who have this problem, with no clear solution, unless
> you happen to have a specific video card there's a patch for. The ways
> it's supposed to work is that if there IS a TV Out AND it's enabled,
> then PowerDVD won't play it - to prevent illegal copying. Well, it's
> NOT working that way as I HAVE NOT TV OUT. ______!
>
> _______ copy protection preventing people from even WATCHING the _____
> movie!
>
> Any help appreciated. Any why did PowerDVD quit working? I didn't
> change anything. I downloaded and installed a new driver from SiS,
> which didn't change anything.
>
> (The video card built into my mother board uses the SiS 630 chipset, in
> case you know of a FIXED driver for it.)
>
> I hope I don't have to go buy a specific video card that has an online
> CRACK for it so I can PLAY my _____ movies on my computer.
>
> Thanks

You could try VLC Player .. that can play DVD's. Or I got hold of a
codec pack that included Media Player Classic that also was able to play
DVD's.

Impmon

On 6 Sep 2005 18:38:29 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>The software that came with my DVD player doesn't work. Can someone
>recommend a free player that doesn't voluntarily comply with that
>Macrovision #&$%!

www.videohelp.com has link to other DVD player software (some free,
some shareware) and reviews.

Bratboy

What kind of card do you have? If an NV one the tool I used to use that
would disable Macro and such called TVTool. Really nice app but since I
moved to ATI a while back & upgraded my HTS I no longer need it but you
might give it a looksee. Not sure but think the web addy was
http://tvtool.info/index_e.htm

maggie_g47@hotmail.com

>You could try VLC Player .. that can play DVD's.

That works. Thankyou.

tooly

Man...is this worth all the struggle? I am in amazement how this market
ever got off the ground...producers are just making life too miserable with
all this greedy copy protection and failsafe hardware. Geeze...hell, we
just want to USE what we buy. I'm only a week into this and I'm already
ready to chuck my equipment and save myself a heart attack from frustration.
Elizabeth...Elizabeth...!!!

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> The software that came with my DVD player doesn't work. Can someone
> recommend a free player that doesn't voluntarily comply with that
> Macrovision #&$%!
>
> My problem seems to be that the video card built into my computer is
> too old to send that ____ Macrovision signal to prevent copying to
> VCRs. There isn't even a TV Out!
>
> The weird thing is, PowerDVD used to work just fine on every single DVD
> I ever tried to play, and a couple days ago it started giving the error
> message "The TV Out port of your display card is not working properly.
> (Detailed) This copy protected disc can not be played when the TV out
> function is enabled." I searched for a solution and found page after
> page of people who have this problem, with no clear solution, unless
> you happen to have a specific video card there's a patch for. The ways
> it's supposed to work is that if there IS a TV Out AND it's enabled,
> then PowerDVD won't play it - to prevent illegal copying. Well, it's
> NOT working that way as I HAVE NOT TV OUT. ______!
>
> _______ copy protection preventing people from even WATCHING the _____
> movie!
>
> Any help appreciated. Any why did PowerDVD quit working? I didn't
> change anything. I downloaded and installed a new driver from SiS,
> which didn't change anything.
>
> (The video card built into my mother board uses the SiS 630 chipset, in
> case you know of a FIXED driver for it.)
>
> I hope I don't have to go buy a specific video card that has an online
> CRACK for it so I can PLAY my _____ movies on my computer.
>
> Thanks

Biz

I recommend fixing the display driver problem with your PC, as it will
surely affect other things as well. All good dvd player software will tell
you it cant play if it thinks you dont have the right setup to respect teh
macrovision signal. My guess is you updated your video card drivers, just
roll back to the previous version