Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > dvd player for pal to ntsc

dvd player for pal to ntsc

ABS

what dvd player is it that will play pal discs on normal ntsc tvs? it
converts them, but i forget the name brand and model, it was less then $100.
this is for home stereo, not computers.
it would be neat to also play divx, mpeg stuff etc.
hopefully you can get this at circuit city and those type places. want to
get one local.

john339077353@cs.com

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:20:26 -0700, "ABS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>what dvd player is it that will play pal discs on normal ntsc tvs? it
>converts them, but i forget the name brand and model, it was less then $100.
>this is for home stereo, not computers.
>it would be neat to also play divx, mpeg stuff etc.
>hopefully you can get this at circuit city and those type places. want to
>get one local.

Norcent DP220

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 01:49:08 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:20:26 -0700, "ABS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>what dvd player is it that will play pal discs on normal ntsc tvs? it
>>converts them, but i forget the name brand and model, it was less then $100.
>>this is for home stereo, not computers.
>>it would be neat to also play divx, mpeg stuff etc.
>>hopefully you can get this at circuit city and those type places. want to
>>get one local.
>>

>Norcent DP220

And Philips 642 for DivX. However ALL cheap players, every one, will
play PAL discs to an NTSC output, but they may not neccesarily have
hackable or defeatable Region protection.

... Steve ..

ABS

"Steve(JazzHunter)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 01:49:08 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:20:26 -0700, "ABS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>what dvd player is it that will play pal discs on normal ntsc tvs? it
>>>converts them, but i forget the name brand and model, it was less then
>>>$100.
>>>this is for home stereo, not computers.
>>>it would be neat to also play divx, mpeg stuff etc.
>>>hopefully you can get this at circuit city and those type places. want to
>>>get one local.
>>>

>>Norcent DP220

> And Philips 642 for DivX. However ALL cheap players, every one, will
> play PAL discs to an NTSC output, but they may not neccesarily have
> hackable or defeatable Region protection.
>
> .. Steve ..

i need this to let me play pal discs on my ntsc tvs etc. not all cheap
players will do that, but i am sure some might.

TB

"ABS" wrote:

>>>Norcent DP220

>> And Philips 642 for DivX. However ALL cheap players, every one, will
>> play PAL discs to an NTSC output, but they may not neccesarily have
>> hackable or defeatable Region protection.
>>
>> .. Steve ..
>>

> i need this to let me play pal discs on my ntsc tvs etc. not all cheap
> players will do that, but i am sure some might.

Well, although they're all higher end players ranging from $2,600 to $400 or
so, the Denon 5910, 3910 and 2910 will convert PAL to NTSC and visa versa
without the need of a external decoder for whatever monitor you're using.
Plus a simple firmware flash upgrade available on many dvd techie websites
will enable you to make any of these players region free as well. Of course,
even the cheapest of these players are far more expensive than any Hong
Kong/Taiwan cheapo player but you get a significantly higher level of
performance, format playability (including SACDs, rewritable media, etc) and
playback quality that's very noticeable, imo.

I've never been a huge Denon fan but I bought the 3910 half a year ago and
in every way, it blows every prior dvd player I've owned (Pioneer Elite,
Toshiba) out of the water in every aspect. It also nice to finally be able
to watch a PAL dvd from say, Germany on my home theater setup instead of my
ho-hum pc setup. I expect this to be my last dvd player I'll buy until the
HiDef format wars settle down in maybe 5 or 6 years (if I'm lucky).

T.B.

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:33:17 -0700, "ABS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Steve(JazzHunter)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

>>>Norcent DP220

>> And Philips 642 for DivX. However ALL cheap players, every one, will
>> play PAL discs to an NTSC output, but they may not neccesarily have
>> hackable or defeatable Region protection.
>>
>> .. Steve ..
>>

>i need this to let me play pal discs on my ntsc tvs etc. not all cheap
>players will do that, but i am sure some might.

Every bargain player available at Best Buy or Circuit City will play
PAL DVDs to NTSC output. Not "Some" but "Most." And the cheap ones
often don't have Macrovision and/or Region protection, the latter
being the main concern in your case. A few expensive players will
also do this, as TB describes, but not many. Read
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php

You can take a Sample PAL disc to the store and ask to try the
cheapest players to see if the disc will play. If you find a good
player that does however have Region protection then that disc can be
copied with DVDdecypter and DVDshrink if necessary to remove the
Region code, then play the copy. That's what I occasionally do to play
PAL discs on my JVC machine, which handles PAL discs beautifully but
has none-hackable Macrovision and Region codes (being a more expensive
unit.)

.. Steve ..

Biz

Go through this list
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers....&divx=1&multis
ystem=1&chipset=&country=&orderby=Name&hits=25&Sub mit2=Search

My current favorite is the Pioneer DV-588

"ABS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:20050831202032.250$(E-Mail Removed)...
> what dvd player is it that will play pal discs on normal ntsc tvs? it
> converts them, but i forget the name brand and model, it was less then

$100.
> this is for home stereo, not computers.
> it would be neat to also play divx, mpeg stuff etc.
> hopefully you can get this at circuit city and those type places. want to
> get one local.

Head Hunter

I have a Sampo DVE-612 that plays PAL to ntsc no problem. It is also a
snap to convert to region free. The only problem I have is it doesn't have
the digital audio connection, so it doesn't do surround. Other than that,
it works fine.

xeaglecrest@worldnet.att.net

Head Hunter wrote:

> I have a Sampo DVE-612 that plays PAL to ntsc no problem. It is also a
> snap to convert to region free. The only problem I have is it doesn't have
> the digital audio connection, so it doesn't do surround. Other than that,
> it works fine.

I just bought a CyberHome CH-DVD 300 at Walmart yesterday that does
PAL>NTSC for less than $36.87.

Convert a Pal DVD change to a NTSC DVD Bun Mui Computer Support 3 01-16-2005 08:55 AM
Convert Pal DVD to NTSC DVD Roger L. Main DVD Video 6 08-06-2004 07:40 PM
Can a PAL DVD be played on an NTSC DVD Player ? camry@cnospamcanada.com DVD Video 19 07-07-2004 02:43 PM
NTSC-PAL-NTSC question You DVD Video 4 12-17-2003 08:40 PM
A dvd player model which will convert pal to ntsc ? Mike DVD Video 13 09-05-2003 04:26 PM

Advertisments