Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > The House of a Thousand Candles 1915 Movie?? Help!

The House of a Thousand Candles 1915 Movie?? Help!

cornchild@hotmail.com

I'm trying to locate a copy -- any copy!! -- of the 1915 version of
Meredtith Nicholson's "The House of a Thousand Candles." There was a
1915 version produced by Selig Polyscope, I believe, and a 1920 version
entitled, "The Haunting Shadows." I'm trying to locate either one or
both.

What I DON'T need is the 1936 film, "The House of a Thousand Candles."
Only the earlier versions.

I've combed the `net and so far no one seems to offer it. Does anyone
own a print, video, etc., that could be purchased (or a copy of could
be) or know where one might locate one?

Thanks!

Jeff

dbf

Sounds interesting, and it sounds vague as to whether it even exists
anymore..good luck in your hunt!:

In 1915, the Selig Polyscope Company produced a (silent) motion picture
version of the film. It is unclear to us at this time whether any prints
exist of the film.

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,

> I'm trying to locate a copy -- any copy!! -- of the 1915 version of
> Meredtith Nicholson's "The House of a Thousand Candles." There was a
> 1915 version produced by Selig Polyscope, I believe, and a 1920 version
> entitled, "The Haunting Shadows." I'm trying to locate either one or
> both.
>
> What I DON'T need is the 1936 film, "The House of a Thousand Candles."
> Only the earlier versions.
>
> I've combed the `net and so far no one seems to offer it. Does anyone
> own a print, video, etc., that could be purchased (or a copy of could
> be) or know where one might locate one?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jeff

Mark W

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I'm trying to locate a copy -- any copy!! -- of the 1915 version of
> Meredtith Nicholson's "The House of a Thousand Candles." There was a
> 1915 version produced by Selig Polyscope, I believe, and a 1920 version
> entitled, "The Haunting Shadows." I'm trying to locate either one or
> both.

Do you want the single disc version or deluxe double disc edition?

Sally Dumaux

It's never a good idea to say "never" about any particular silent film.
Miracles do happen, but so far with respect to this film as a Selig from
1915, I have not been able to find that it still exists...and I have been
working on Selig for a number of years now. LC does have the photoplay
novel which should have a few stills, but that is hardly what you need.
Anyone out there who can supply us with a miracle?
"Mark W" <s@o> wrote in message
news:43135e15$(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > I'm trying to locate a copy -- any copy!! -- of the 1915 version of
> > Meredtith Nicholson's "The House of a Thousand Candles." There was a
> > 1915 version produced by Selig Polyscope, I believe, and a 1920 version
> > entitled, "The Haunting Shadows." I'm trying to locate either one or
> > both.
> >

> Do you want the single disc version or deluxe double disc edition?

peterrottontail@aol.com

Darn!!
I've been looking for the 1936 version for some time. Along with some
other damn near impossible titles.
PR

Blues Ma

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Darn!!
> I've been looking for the 1936 version for some time. Along with some
> other damn near impossible titles.
> PR

http://www.hollywoodsattic.com/shopping/

Says they have one for $19 VHS tho.

cornchild@hotmail.com

If you can get either one (or tell me to how to!), I'd love either one
or both!

I gather the 1936 version crops up from time to time. I know someone
who has a copy of it, though apparently it bears little resemblance to
the original novel. The 1915, as everyone here seems to have agreed, is
the really rare one.

I work at a public library in the town where stands the house that
Nicholson based the novel on. We even had a 100th anniversary
celebration of the novel's 1905 publication this past summer. We'd just
really love to get our hands on the earlier versions of the movie (1915
and, as "The Haunting Shadows," the 1920 version) and have a public
event showing it or even just totake a look at. We do have the 1915
edition of the book with the stills in it (I even put the stills on our
library's website...interesting stuff....
http://www.culver.lib.in.us/house_thousand_candles.htm).

It looked like the AFI listing on the film seemed to indicate that
someone from that group had seen the movie in the past 20 years or so,
not that that necessarily means anything!

You guys have been really great, though! I didn't expect so many
replies so soon...but keep them coming! If anyone can point me towards
a copy of this film, please please let me know!

Craighton Craighton is offline
Junior Member
Location: Culver, Indiana

Just an update. I'm the owner of the House of a Thousand Candles in Culver, Indiana, that Jeff is talking about. I've since published an article about it in Traces: a Journal of Indiana and Midwestern History and it is available here: http://digitalcommons.olivet.edu/lsci_facp/3/. I agree. The two earlier films are scarce and/or non-existent.