Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > LCDs are garbage

LCDs are garbage

RichA

Getting away from high quality CRTs is probably the most
backward step ever completed in computer screen and television screen
"evolution." Essentially, the novelty of flatness size has
replaced top quality.
The colour, contrast, dyanmic range of LCD is rubbish.
But, maybe novelty can replace the second-rate 2d presentation
of LCDs?

From http://www.physorg.com/printnews.php?newsid=6014
Japanese Public Broadcasting Envisions 3D Future

Japan’s national public broadcasting authority, Nippon Hoso Kyokai
(NHK), is pursuing a Super Hi-Vision 3D television. NHK’s research has
centered on the integral imaging (II) technique for creating 3D
television. This avenue of research was chosen because the 3D image
can be viewed without the use of special glasses. In addition, because
an actual three-dimensional image is replicated, eyestrain caused by
viewing “ghost” images is avoided.

NHK researchers have refined their model heavily over the last 15
years. Currently, the key component is a lens array composed of tens
of thousands of tiny lenses, or “lenslets” arranged in a regular
pattern. Each lenslet’s angle reveals a slightly different perspective
on the scene to be recorded. An incredibly sensitive CMOS image
sensor–over 16 times the sensitivity required for HDTV
recording–records the reflected light rays. Then, the captured images
are analyzed to create the original 3D image. To create live 3D HDTV
feeds, NHK’s HDTV version of a 3-D camera records and analyzes data
composed of over 410,000 pixels at a frame rate of 59.94Hz.

To display the image, the recording process is reversed. An incredibly
sharp LCD screen projects through a lenslet array to create a
holographic image. Of course, using a lens reverses the image (much
like looking through the bottom of a glass), so during the display
process, a concave-convex converter is used. In order to convey
scenery depth, NHK researchers devised an algorithm calculating the
parallax of each lenslet’s reflected light, creating a hologram that
is different in both size and position from the original object.

Because current technology cannot create small enough pixels, much
like older television sets, the display choices are either a big,
fuzzy hologram, or a small, sharp hologram. Since the size and pixel
pitch of the HD LCD restrict the viewing zone, current technology
limits the size of the viewing zone to about 2.5” at 35” away. In
addition, the coarseness of current LCD screens generates a “ghost”
reverse image, which NHK is eliminating through computer processing of
the recorded data. To increase holograph size, NHK is working with
“extra” LCD light bent around the lenslets to fill in the “gaps” left
between pixels.

by Courtney Ostaff and Jason D'Aprile , Copyright 2005 PhysOrg.com

"Bittorrents are REFUNDS for all the BAD movie products Hollywood
never gave us refunds for in the past"

Java Jive

The colour balance of my current LCD is better than any CRT I've ever seen.

The contrast ratio/dynamic ratio is a little less than some CRTs, but
neither technology has sufficient contrast ratio to show dark scenes, such
as the opening of "All The President's Men" or the starscapes in "Stephen
Hawking's Universe", followed by normal scenes *both* to best effect without
requiring intervening adjustment - with CRTs the problem is image noise
from the brightness level for normal scenes being too bright for dark
scenes, while with LCDs it's the brightness of the backlight.

The title you chose demonstrates that you are being irrational - I suggest
you crawl back into your hole.

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> The colour, contrast, dyanmic range of LCD is rubbish.

Sean O'Hara

In the Year of the Cock, the Great and Powerful RichA declared:
> Getting away from high quality CRTs is probably the most
> backward step ever completed in computer screen and television screen
> "evolution." Essentially, the novelty of flatness size has
> replaced top quality.

So obviously you were never a college student who had to carry a 19"
monitor up and down three flights of stairs at the begining and end
of each semester.

--
Sean O'Hara | http://diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com
Imagination is the one weapon in hate war against reality.

RichA

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 17:08:13 -0400, Sean O'Hara <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In the Year of the Cock, the Great and Powerful RichA declared:
>> Getting away from high quality CRTs is probably the most
>> backward step ever completed in computer screen and television screen
>> "evolution." Essentially, the novelty of flatness size has
>> replaced top quality.
>>

>So obviously you were never a college student who had to carry a 19"
>monitor up and down three flights of stairs at the begining and end
>of each semester.

And that has what to do with picture quality?
-Rich

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 20:10:00 +0100, "Java Jive" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The colour balance of my current LCD is better than any CRT I've ever seen.
>
>The contrast ratio/dynamic ratio is a little less than some CRTs, but
>neither technology has sufficient contrast ratio to show dark scenes, such
>as the opening of "All The President's Men" or the starscapes in "Stephen
>Hawking's Universe", followed by normal scenes *both* to best effect without
>requiring intervening adjustment - with CRTs the problem is image noise
>from the brightness level for normal scenes being too bright for dark
>scenes, while with LCDs it's the brightness of the backlight.
>
>The title you chose demonstrates that you are being irrational - I suggest
>you crawl back into your hole.

Colour changes with viewing angle, crappy blacks, dead pixels, lack of
visual "punch" and fixed resolution.
-Rich

"Bittorrents are REFUNDS for all the BAD movie products Hollywood
never gave us refunds for in the past"

gaffo

RichA wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 20:10:00 +0100, "Java Jive" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>The colour balance of my current LCD is better than any CRT I've ever seen.
>>
>>The contrast ratio/dynamic ratio is a little less than some CRTs, but
>>neither technology has sufficient contrast ratio to show dark scenes, such
>>as the opening of "All The President's Men" or the starscapes in "Stephen
>>Hawking's Universe", followed by normal scenes *both* to best effect without
>>requiring intervening adjustment - with CRTs the problem is image noise

>>from the brightness level for normal scenes being too bright for dark

>>scenes, while with LCDs it's the brightness of the backlight.
>>
>>The title you chose demonstrates that you are being irrational - I suggest
>>you crawl back into your hole.

> Colour changes with viewing angle, crappy blacks, dead pixels, lack of
> visual "punch" and fixed resolution.
> -Rich
>

> "Bittorrents are REFUNDS for all the BAD movie products Hollywood
> never gave us refunds for in the past"

DLPs are better than LCD now.

thay have a black level near CRT and a sharpness near LCD.

- buy the next generation or the one after, (5-yrs?) I'm confident that
the black levels will equal CRTs.

I just bought a DLP front projection Optoma H31 (great pict). and a 32"
3:4 CRT w/HD tuner built in for regular viewing.

I would NEVER buy an LCD for a regualr TV. I would for something like a
pocket TV maybe.

only huge drawback is the fix-pixel area. But they use tricks which
helps in the scalling of some signal sources.

CRTs will always rule the roost in that one area.

CRTs remain a proven high quality technology. I only use a 22" CRT for
my PC also.

--

"Had we gone into Baghdad -- we could have done it,
you guys could have done it, you could have been there

afiggatt

RichA wrote:
> Getting away from high quality CRTs is probably the most
> backward step ever completed in computer screen and television screen
> "evolution." Essentially, the novelty of flatness size has
> replaced top quality.
> The colour, contrast, dyanmic range of LCD is rubbish.
> But, maybe novelty can replace the second-rate 2d presentation
> of LCDs?

That is why you buy a plasma - primarily a Panasonic plasma. Has the
best black levels of all the current brands, no motion smear, no viewing
angle problems, resistance to burn-in equivalent to that of a direct
view CRT (according to Panasonic but no one has step forward with
burn-in problems on their new model Panny).

If the upcoming next generation Pioneers have the much improved black
levels that Pioneer is claiming, then they might take the lead as the
best plasmas going.

Alan F

Stan Brown

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In the Year of the Cock, the Great and Powerful RichA declared:
>> Getting away from high quality CRTs is probably the most
>> backward step ever completed in computer screen and television screen
>> "evolution." Essentially, the novelty of flatness size has
>> replaced top quality.
>>

>So obviously you were never a college student who had to carry a 19"
>monitor up and down three flights of stairs at the begining and end
>of each semester.

Not to mention a home TV viewer who kept rearranging the living room
trying to avoid reflections of lamps and windows in the TV screen.
(It's especially tough when you have lots of glass-framed pictures
on the walls.)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Java Jive

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> Colour changes with viewing angle

Not on my TVs, my guess is you're judging by laptop LCDs, which are
obviously designed for a smaller viewing angle.

> crappy blacks

Like CRTs

> dead pixels

If you're stupid enough to buy an obviously faulty product with dead pixels,
caveat emptor.

> lack of visual "punch"

In other words, a *realistic* image

> fixed resolution.

Not a problem

RichA

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 00:09:20 -0400, Stan Brown
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 17:08:13 -0400, Sean O'Hara
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>In the Year of the Cock, the Great and Powerful RichA declared:
>>> Getting away from high quality CRTs is probably the most
>>> backward step ever completed in computer screen and television screen
>>> "evolution." Essentially, the novelty of flatness size has
>>> replaced top quality.
>>>

>>So obviously you were never a college student who had to carry a 19"
>>monitor up and down three flights of stairs at the begining and end
>>of each semester.

>Not to mention a home TV viewer who kept rearranging the living room
>trying to avoid reflections of lamps and windows in the TV screen.
>(It's especially tough when you have lots of glass-framed pictures
>on the walls.)

I wouldn't know about that. I have a home theatre room with sealed
off windows and the correct colour walls, ceiling and floor. It's
also sound controlled and there are ZERO pieces of junk in it to
rattle, no pictures on the walls, etc. However, with a bedroom TV,
you have a point. But the "average" homeowner paints their walls
eggshell white and so they are braindead. Who cares what they do?
-Rich