Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Obtaining MCSE and MCDBA Simultaneously

Obtaining MCSE and MCDBA Simultaneously

Boba Fett

Is it permitted/possible to use the overlap between the
core and elective requirements for the MCSE and MCDBA
certifications to obtain both simultaneously; i.e., use
the SQL 2000 core exams as the 2 electives for the MCSE
after passing the rest of the MCSE track. By doing this
all of the core and elective requirements are met for both
certs - I was just wondering if Microsoft has put some
kind of restriction on using one passed exam and applying
that same passed exam to obtain another cert.

Jaime

No, you can do that.
"Boba Fett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:055301c394f7$2ae576a0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it permitted/possible to use the overlap between the
> core and elective requirements for the MCSE and MCDBA
> certifications to obtain both simultaneously; i.e., use
> the SQL 2000 core exams as the 2 electives for the MCSE
> after passing the rest of the MCSE track. By doing this
> all of the core and elective requirements are met for both
> certs - I was just wondering if Microsoft has put some
> kind of restriction on using one passed exam and applying
> that same passed exam to obtain another cert.

Christopher A. Blanchard

Actually, yes you can do that. They intentionally designed the overlap.

"Jaime" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Ox%(E-Mail Removed)...
> No, you can do that.
> "Boba Fett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:055301c394f7$2ae576a0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is it permitted/possible to use the overlap between the
> > core and elective requirements for the MCSE and MCDBA
> > certifications to obtain both simultaneously; i.e., use
> > the SQL 2000 core exams as the 2 electives for the MCSE
> > after passing the rest of the MCSE track. By doing this
> > all of the core and elective requirements are met for both
> > certs - I was just wondering if Microsoft has put some
> > kind of restriction on using one passed exam and applying
> > that same passed exam to obtain another cert.

Jaime

My reply was no microsoft did not put any restriction on that and yes he can
do that.
"Christopher A. Blanchard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Actually, yes you can do that. They intentionally designed the overlap.
>
> "Jaime" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Ox%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > No, you can do that.
> > "Boba Fett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:055301c394f7$2ae576a0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Is it permitted/possible to use the overlap between the
> > > core and elective requirements for the MCSE and MCDBA
> > > certifications to obtain both simultaneously; i.e., use
> > > the SQL 2000 core exams as the 2 electives for the MCSE
> > > after passing the rest of the MCSE track. By doing this
> > > all of the core and elective requirements are met for both
> > > certs - I was just wondering if Microsoft has put some
> > > kind of restriction on using one passed exam and applying
> > > that same passed exam to obtain another cert.

Martin Schmid

No, this can be done, but the overlap allows for it. See below.

--
Thanks,
Martin Schmid, EIT, CCSA, MCDBA, MCSE

"Jaime" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My reply was no microsoft did not put any restriction on that and yes he

can
> do that.
> "Christopher A. Blanchard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Actually, yes you can do that. They intentionally designed the overlap.
> >
> > "Jaime" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:Ox%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > No, you can do that.
> > > "Boba Fett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:055301c394f7$2ae576a0$(E-Mail Removed)...

Tore Bostrup

It's hard to tell from these posts - but everybody agrees AFAICT... :->

The MS certification web site contains information about how overlaps are
permitted.

HTH,
Tore.

"Martin Schmid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No, this can be done, but the overlap allows for it. See below.
>

> --
> Thanks,
> Martin Schmid, EIT, CCSA, MCDBA, MCSE
>
> "Jaime" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My reply was no microsoft did not put any restriction on that and yes he

> can
> > do that.
> > "Christopher A. Blanchard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Actually, yes you can do that. They intentionally designed the

overlap.

> > > "Jaime" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:Ox%(E-Mail Removed)...

Steve

Yes, it is possible to do the 2 SQL server exams as
electives for your MCSE and come away with the MCDBA
certification aswell.

I know, because I did it.

Steve, MCSE, MCDBA