Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > n00b question--dvd ripping/burning

n00b question--dvd ripping/burning

T.B.

I am new to the world of burning DVDs and just tried ripping and burning my
1st DVD.

I used 123 DVD Copy trial version to rip the DVD, and then used TMPGEnc DVD
Author for authoring. And then used Nero Burning ROM to burn the actual
DVD.

All went well, and the DVD plays, however only the previews have
Audio/Sound. The Main Feature does not, but the video is fine.

Where did I go wrong? I don't want to make any more coasters

tia,

TB in Austin
remove NOSPAM to reply via email

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 02:32:25 -0500, "T.B."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am new to the world of burning DVDs and just tried ripping and burning my
>1st DVD.
>
>I used 123 DVD Copy trial version to rip the DVD, and then used TMPGEnc DVD
>Author for authoring. And then used Nero Burning ROM to burn the actual
>DVD.

If you're just copying a DVD use DVDshrink or DVD2one, you don't have
to rerender or reauthor.

>All went well, and the DVD plays, however only the previews have
>Audio/Sound. The Main Feature does not, but the video is fine.
>
>Where did I go wrong? I don't want to make any more coasters

You can preview a DVD before burning. If it's an ISO open the virtual
image with Daemon-tools (or Nero's virtual drive, but that one can
cause problems) then play with PowerDVd or WinDVD. If they're files
then just go to the video_TS with PowerDVD or the root of the DVD
structure with WinDVD.

... Steve ..

>tia,
>
>TB in Austin
>remove NOSPAM to reply via email

JayCee

T.B. wrote:
> I am new to the world of burning DVDs and just tried ripping and burning my
> 1st DVD.
>
> I used 123 DVD Copy trial version to rip the DVD, and then used TMPGEnc DVD
> Author for authoring. And then used Nero Burning ROM to burn the actual
> DVD.
>
> All went well, and the DVD plays, however only the previews have
> Audio/Sound. The Main Feature does not, but the video is fine.
>
> Where did I go wrong? I don't want to make any more coasters
>
> tia,
>
> TB in Austin
> remove NOSPAM to reply via email

First of all, what kind of DVDs are you copying? Are you copying movies
or television shows? If so, what you are doing is ILLEGAL. Do not make
illegal copies.

T.B.

yeah, ok officer. btw-It is legal to make copies of DVDs you own for your
personal use. You cannot copy DVDs in order to sell or give away copies, or
for any commercial purpose. I am LEGALLY copying dvds I purchased and own;
so step off of your little soapbox.

thanks for the help anyway steve.
I think i got it figured out.

TB

> First of all, what kind of DVDs are you copying? Are you copying movies
> or television shows? If so, what you are doing is ILLEGAL. Do not make
> illegal copies.

Jeff Rife

T.B. ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> yeah, ok officer. btw-It is legal to make copies of DVDs you own for your
> personal use.

Although I don't have any problem with what you are doing, your statement
isn't true. It's not yet false for sure, either.

Until a court case comes up where an individual is charged with violating
the "no circumvention" part of copyright law (which the DMCA added) *and*
that individual was only copying for personal use, we won't know exactly
where we stand.

Personally, I think "fair use" gives us the right to make such copies, but
I'm not a judge, and when it comes to technology, judges have made some
stupendously bad decisions.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/TokenRing.gif

Biz

"T.B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> yeah, ok officer. btw-It is legal to make copies of DVDs you own for your
> personal use.

Actually in the US it is NOT legal under current law according to the DMCA.
Until it is overturned or revoked, no amount of whining and changes that
fact.
I dont know what country you are in, but if its the US you are completely
mis-informed.

JayCee

T.B. wrote:
> yeah, ok officer. btw-It is legal to make copies of DVDs you own for your
> personal use. You cannot copy DVDs in order to sell or give away copies, or
> for any commercial purpose. I am LEGALLY copying dvds I purchased and own;
> so step off of your little soapbox.
>
> thanks for the help anyway steve.
> I think i got it figured out.
>
> TB

WRONG. It is still illegal to make copies. That's the reason for the
Macromedia protection (and other methods of protection). And when you
make your ILLEGAL copy you have to use a program like DVD Decrypter to
remove this protection, an ILLEGAL act. You really need to do the right
thing and stop doing this.

FAQmeister

"JayCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Fl3Oe.9468$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net
> T.B. wrote:
>> yeah, ok officer. btw-It is legal to make copies of DVDs you own
>> for your personal use. You cannot copy DVDs in order to sell or give
>> away copies, or for any commercial purpose. I am LEGALLY copying
>> dvds I purchased and own; so step off of your little soapbox.
>>
>> thanks for the help anyway steve.
>> I think i got it figured out.
>>
>> TB

> WRONG. It is still illegal to make copies. That's the reason for the
> Macromedia protection (and other methods of protection). And when you
> make your ILLEGAL copy you have to use a program like DVD Decrypter to
> remove this protection, an ILLEGAL act. You really need to do the
> right thing and stop doing this.

Yeah, so it's against the law.
BFD

Breaking a law that was bought and paid for by the movie studios to
protect their economic interests at the expense of people's fair-use and
back-up rights is not anything to get excited over and it certainly
doesn't justify this endless harping on it.

Anyone who claims they never break any laws is a liar. EVERYONE breaks
the law at least once in a while. There are so many that it's literally
impossible to avoid it and there are also a lot of bad laws that should
be broken. It's called civil disobedience and you are not required to
turn yourself in or go to jail just because you decide you're not going
to obey bad laws.

And anyone who says if you don't like the law you should get it changed
is living in some fantasy world where such things are possible. Back
here on planet Earth, it's nearly impossible to get bad laws changed
when there are corporations who profit from them and have an interest in
keeping them.

You talk about doing the "right thing" as if that's important. When
politicians and big corporations start doing the "right thing" then the
little people might be obligated to do the same. In the mean time,
copying a few DVDs isn't going to lead to the fall of Western
civilization.

These constant self-righteous cries of "It's illegal and the FBI is
gonna get you" are getting really tiresome. No one is going to stop
copying their DVDs just because you tell them it's wrong, so how about
giving it a rest for a while.
--
The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

Large Farva

"T.B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> yeah, ok officer. btw-It is legal to make copies of DVDs you own for your
> personal use. You cannot copy DVDs in order to sell or give away copies,
> or
> for any commercial purpose. I am LEGALLY copying dvds I purchased and
> own;
> so step off of your little soapbox.

Actually, you're wrong. It's illegal to break the encryption, whether you
bought it or not.

Biz

"JayCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Fl3Oe.9468$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...

> WRONG. It is still illegal to make copies. That's the reason for the
> Macromedia protection (and other methods of protection).

I believe you are trying to refer to macrovision, macromedia is a something
entirely different. Macrovision is an anlog form of copy protection, its
not the same as what we are talking about in the context of this thread with
CSS/CPPM encryption on digital media...