Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Any good alternative to Netflix?

Any good alternative to Netflix?

Jeff Rife

((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> > That is unsual. It's corporate policy for Blockbuster not to carry them,
> > but individual stores can do what they wish.

> How can it be corporate policy if any store can do as they please?

Because Blockbuster isn't "Big Brother" with watchdogs in every store, and
some stores are just franchises, not corporate-owned.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverTheHedge/ToDo.gif

Black Locust

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jeff Rife <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Blockbuster doesn't actually do the editing, but it is well-documented that
> they will not stock NC-17 or "unrated" videos. Thus, the studios often
> provide Blockbuster with altered versions that have been given an MPAA
> "R" rating.

Do you want me to go into my local Blockbuster and take a photo of the
unrated DVDs on the shelves? Seriously, I'll do it just to shut you guys
up.

Black Locust

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jeff Rife <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> That is unsual. It's corporate policy for Blockbuster not to carry them,
> but individual stores can do what they wish.

Did my earlier post just go completely over your head? You have no idea
what you're talking about. Let me try to make this clear again;
corporate policy is only to not stock NC-17 or X rated movies! UNRATED
MOVIES ARE ALLOWED, as long as the unrated material within isn't the
equivalent of an NC-17 movie. If you go into a Blockbuster and only see
rated DVDs, the store is likely a franchise store! Period!

Black Locust

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm sorry, but I see only 2 sides; 2 and 3 are the same thing. The movies
> are different because Wal-Mart asked for them to be different.

Fixed your post for you.

FedUpWithFigs FedUpWithFigs is offline
Junior Member

Someone asked if there was an alternative to Netflix, and the morons on this site all discussed their pet peeves for three pages, and not one person responded. Well, the first response was legitimate until it got highjacked for the pet peeves of little twerps. I can't believe I am wasting my time to try to help you. Who wants to listen to that! Really!

halpal28 halpal28 is offline
Junior Member

this may be about 4 years too late, but in case anyone else is still wondering...
facetsmovies.com is a really good alternative to netflix. it focuses on independent film, but still has all the other stuff too. it's also non-profit, and about the same price as netflix.

blizzerd blizzerd is offline
Junior Member

I never had that problem with Netflix. I've subscribed for a little over 5 years. I did, however, have a problem for a little while with a particular postal carrier, who was vertically challanged and had a hard time putting the disks in my mail box. She'd often leave the disks on my front step, which sometimes led to their being stolen by some passer-by ( I live in sort of an urban neighborhood) or else she'd passive agressively crack the disk while cramming it in the mail box. Cracking a disk by hand is not really that easy to do. That only happened 3 or 4 times and every time I'd notify Netflix about it and they would send me a new movie immediately with no questions asked. Since that particular mail carrier has been off the route - about 2 years - there have been no problems like that.

Cruiser42 Cruiser42 is offline
Junior Member

I, too, have had it with Netflix -- my first movie, the dvd was bad -- replaced it, the second one was bad, too. You dont get to ruin 2 of my evenings.

anyone found any good alternatives ??