Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Any good alternative to Netflix?

Any good alternative to Netflix?

Black Locust

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,

> First off, Blockbuster (the stores) DOES edit video content. You need
> to do a little more research before making blind comments like yours.
> I don't know if they do it in their DVD online service, but the stores
> DO edit content.

What a load of baloney. Prove it. Blockbuster doesn't even have the
resources to edit content. The only hand they even have in DVD
production(or VHS back when their stores carried it) is via their DEJ
studio. Blockbuster DOES NOT manufacture DVDs of any sort beyond that.
Any editing done to movies they stock is done by the movie studio prior
to them purchasing the DVDs from the studio. It's true that if a 'rated'
version is produced an addition to an 'unrated' version, they may just
order the rated version, but even that argument doesn't hold much water
these days. I see tons of unrated DVDs in Blockbuster now. Infact, I
believe it's only some franchise stores now that "ban" unrated versions.
Just about any corporate store will go the unrated route on 95% of new
releases, assuming of course an unrated version is produced by the
studio. I've recently seen the unrated versions of Cursed, Darkness, and
Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle in the stores I usually rent from. And
they have the unrated version of The Ring Two being advertised now as
well.

> Second, Netflix does not set up stores on every corner that take away
> business from a mom and pop stores (who do not charge $4.25 for a
> movie).
>
> Thanks for playing.

Ok, since we've(or at least you have..) decided to let the seemingly
"perfect" Netflix off the hook, how about we attack Wal-Mart instead? If
you're gonna go after Blockbuster for putting mom & pop stores out,
surely you can't get Wal-Mart slide by.. They're far more evil and
powerful than Blockbuster is and they put all various sorts of mom & pop
outlets out of business, not just video stores. Did you know Wal-Mart is
primarily responsible for rated DVDs being made available when an
unrated version is also made available? They're so powerful that they
can actually strong arm movie studios into producing the rated DVDs.
They also play a big part in the production of "full screen" DVDs...

All retail outlets are in the business of making money, be it
Blockbuster, McDonalds or the hole in the wall Mexican grocery store.
Some just do it better than others...

Mike

I've heard this for years as well. I am wondering how Blockbuster is
supposed to be editing tapes and DVD's.

Black Locust wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > First off, Blockbuster (the stores) DOES edit video content. You need
> > to do a little more research before making blind comments like yours.
> > I don't know if they do it in their DVD online service, but the stores
> > DO edit content.

> What a load of baloney. Prove it. Blockbuster doesn't even have the
> resources to edit content. The only hand they even have in DVD
> production(or VHS back when their stores carried it) is via their DEJ
> studio. Blockbuster DOES NOT manufacture DVDs of any sort beyond that.
> Any editing done to movies they stock is done by the movie studio prior
> to them purchasing the DVDs from the studio. It's true that if a 'rated'
> version is produced an addition to an 'unrated' version, they may just
> order the rated version, but even that argument doesn't hold much water
> these days. I see tons of unrated DVDs in Blockbuster now. Infact, I
> believe it's only some franchise stores now that "ban" unrated versions.
> Just about any corporate store will go the unrated route on 95% of new
> releases, assuming of course an unrated version is produced by the
> studio. I've recently seen the unrated versions of Cursed, Darkness, and
> Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle in the stores I usually rent from. And
> they have the unrated version of The Ring Two being advertised now as
> well.
>
> > Second, Netflix does not set up stores on every corner that take away
> > business from a mom and pop stores (who do not charge $4.25 for a
> > movie).
> >
> > Thanks for playing.

> Ok, since we've(or at least you have..) decided to let the seemingly
> "perfect" Netflix off the hook, how about we attack Wal-Mart instead? If
> you're gonna go after Blockbuster for putting mom & pop stores out,
> surely you can't get Wal-Mart slide by.. They're far more evil and
> powerful than Blockbuster is and they put all various sorts of mom & pop
> outlets out of business, not just video stores. Did you know Wal-Mart is
> primarily responsible for rated DVDs being made available when an
> unrated version is also made available? They're so powerful that they
> can actually strong arm movie studios into producing the rated DVDs.
> They also play a big part in the production of "full screen" DVDs...
>
> All retail outlets are in the business of making money, be it
> Blockbuster, McDonalds or the hole in the wall Mexican grocery store.
> Some just do it better than others...
> --
> "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.
> They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people,
> and neither do we." - George Dumbya Bush

Nonymous

> Black Locust wrote:
>>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>> > First off, Blockbuster (the stores) DOES edit video content. You need
>> > to do a little more research before making blind comments like yours.
>> > I don't know if they do it in their DVD online service, but the stores
>> > DO edit content.

>> What a load of baloney. Prove it. Blockbuster doesn't even have the
>> resources to edit content.

Resources? I'm surprised you thought that far into it. They don't even
have the legal *right* to edit content like that let alone resources to do
it.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've heard this for years as well. I am wondering how Blockbuster is
> supposed to be editing tapes and DVD's.

They don't edit it themselves. They require the studios to provide the
edited content. i.e., they tell the studios, "if you want us to buy a
bazillion DVDs from you that we'll rent, then we want you to edit the
content such that it meets certain criteria".

Walmart does the same thing with the music CDs they sell retail. And if you
don't already know that then you've been living on another planet.

Stan Brown

On 14 Aug 2005 10:06:06 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>First off, Blockbuster (the stores) DOES edit video content. You need
>to do a little more research before making blind comments like yours.

That rumor's been flying around for a long time, but I've yet to see
any corroboration.

Could you share with us even _one_ credible citation from your
research to support your contention that Blockbuster stores edit
movies? Please note: a credible citation would not be merely a
repetition of the rumor, but would have to document specifics.

Without that, you're at the level of a five-year-old shouting "is
not!" "is too!"

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Jeff Rife

Stan Brown ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> On 14 Aug 2005 10:06:06 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> >First off, Blockbuster (the stores) DOES edit video content. You need
> >to do a little more research before making blind comments like yours.

> That rumor's been flying around for a long time, but I've yet to see
> any corroboration.

Blockbuster doesn't actually do the editing, but it is well-documented that
they will not stock NC-17 or "unrated" videos. Thus, the studios often
provide Blockbuster with altered versions that have been given an MPAA
"R" rating.

--
Jeff Rife |
| "He chose...poorly."
|
| -- Grail Knight, "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade"

Michael Walker

> Blockbuster doesn't actually do the editing, but it is well-documented
> that
> they will not stock NC-17 or "unrated" videos. Thus, the studios often
> provide Blockbuster with altered versions that have been given an MPAA
> "R" rating.
>
> --
> Jeff Rife |
> | "He chose...poorly."
> |
> | -- Grail Knight, "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade"

Well that's interesting since I have rented the unrated version of Cursed
from Blockbuster.

Biz

Actually there are several retailers who will not stock the unrated
versions, but that in no way means they are editing the films. The studios
CHOOSE to release those versions so certain large retailers will carry them
as well....If you consider that editing done by those retailers or stores,
you might want to rethink that...

"Jeff Rife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Stan Brown ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> > On 14 Aug 2005 10:06:06 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >
> > >First off, Blockbuster (the stores) DOES edit video content. You need
> > >to do a little more research before making blind comments like yours.

> > That rumor's been flying around for a long time, but I've yet to see
> > any corroboration.

> Blockbuster doesn't actually do the editing, but it is well-documented

that
> they will not stock NC-17 or "unrated" videos. Thus, the studios often
> provide Blockbuster with altered versions that have been given an MPAA
> "R" rating.
>
> --
> Jeff Rife |
> | "He chose...poorly."
> |
> | -- Grail Knight, "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade"

Jeff Rife

[top posting and lack of signature snippage fixed]

Biz ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> > Stan Brown ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> > > That rumor's been flying around for a long time, but I've yet to see
> > > any corroboration.

> > Blockbuster doesn't actually do the editing, but it is well-documented that
> > they will not stock NC-17 or "unrated" videos. Thus, the studios often
> > provide Blockbuster with altered versions that have been given an MPAA
> > "R" rating.
> >

> Actually there are several retailers who will not stock the unrated
> versions, but that in no way means they are editing the films. The studios
> CHOOSE to release those versions so certain large retailers will carry them
> as well....If you consider that editing done by those retailers or stores,
> you might want to rethink that...

I don't see anywhere where I said that Blockbuster did any editing.

The problem is that there are 3 sides to this argument:

1. Blockbuster movies aren't edited in any way.
2. Blockbuster does the editing themselves.
3. Blockbuster carries studio-edited versions because they requested them.

Only #3 is 100% correct, but many people distill that to "Blockbuster
carries edited versions" which in turn gets further shortened to
"Blockbuster edits movies". This gets a "no, they don't" from people who
know BB doesn't do the editing themselves, but rarely is the rest of the
explanation given.

I couldn't tell if Stan was of the of first opinion or not, so I clarified
with the full truth (#3). He may have known this, but by saying that
editing is just a rumor it may not be clear enough for the OP, and it may
yet again devolve into the "well, I can only find that version at
Blockbuster, so they must be doing the editing".

Since some versions are *only* found at Blockbuster, I can see how people
might think there was something funny going on, especially when videotape
was the norm. Nowadays, it should be obvious to anybody that you can't
edit a DVD in the back room like you can a videotape.

--
Jeff Rife | "Hey, Brain, what do you wanna do tonight?"

| "The same thing we do every night, Pinky...
| try to take over the world."

"Jeff Rife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Michael Walker ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>> > Blockbuster doesn't actually do the editing, but it is well-documented
>> > that
>> > they will not stock NC-17 or "unrated" videos. Thus, the studios often
>> > provide Blockbuster with altered versions that have been given an MPAA
>> > "R" rating.

>> Well that's interesting since I have rented the unrated version of Cursed
>> from Blockbuster.

> That is unsual. It's corporate policy for Blockbuster not to carry them,
> but individual stores can do what they wish.

How can it be corporate policy if any store can do as they please?

Norm Strong

"Jeff Rife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [top posting and lack of signature snippage fixed]
>
> Biz ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>> >
>> > Blockbuster doesn't actually do the editing, but it is well-documented
>> > that
>> > they will not stock NC-17 or "unrated" videos. Thus, the studios often
>> > provide Blockbuster with altered versions that have been given an MPAA
>> > "R" rating.
>> >

>> Actually there are several retailers who will not stock the unrated
>> versions, but that in no way means they are editing the films. The
>> studios
>> CHOOSE to release those versions so certain large retailers will carry
>> them
>> as well....If you consider that editing done by those retailers or
>> stores,
>> you might want to rethink that...

> I don't see anywhere where I said that Blockbuster did any editing.
>
> The problem is that there are 3 sides to this argument:
>
> 1. Blockbuster movies aren't edited in any way.
> 2. Blockbuster does the editing themselves.
> 3. Blockbuster carries studio-edited versions because they requested them.
>
> Only #3 is 100% correct, but many people distill that to "Blockbuster
> carries edited versions" which in turn gets further shortened to
> "Blockbuster edits movies". This gets a "no, they don't" from people who
> know BB doesn't do the editing themselves, but rarely is the rest of the
> explanation given.

I'm sorry, but I see only 2 sides; 2 and 3 are the same thing. The movies
are different because Blockbuster asked for them to be different. Who did
the physical act of editing is of no consequence. They were edited to
order.

I'm reminded of the no-torture policy of the US military. We send our
prisoners out to be tortured by professionals from other countries.

Norm Strong