Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Yet Another BLURAY poast

Yet Another BLURAY poast

Goro

Tom's Hardware has an article about BluRay, most notably
explaining/describing in further detail the copyprot schemes that were
revealed in the last couple of days.

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews...10_131820.html

Most notable in this article:
"One part of the announcement that had been anticipated by experts was
Blu-ray's embrace of Advanced Access Content System (AACS), one version
of which has also been adopted by the HD DVD Forum. This controversial
technology would require that disc players maintain permanent
connections to content providers via the Internet, making it possible
for discs that fail a security check to trigger a notification process,
enabling the provider to send the player a sort of "self-destruct
code." This code would come in the form of a flash ROM "update" that
would actually render the player useless, perhaps unless and until it
is taken to a repair shop for reprogramming."

I can't imagine that this would make it to the final spec. Permanent
internet connection? Self-destruct code?

BluRay is a format that may or may not even be WANTED by the majority
of consumers and instead of coming up with VALUE and FEATURES to give
the consumer to convince him to upgrade, they are giving huge
disincentives, in fact encouraging him to STAY with SD-DVD (or to
gowith HD-DVD).

In some ways it's not surprisng, though. If there's a way to lose a
format way, Sony'll do it.

Like i've said before, though, it's still too early to get all worked
up about it, but the info is getting worse day by day. It'll be
interesting to see what the final specs are and if ANYONE buys it....

-goro-

Tarkus

On 8/11/2005 1:25:33 PM, Goro wrote:

> BluRay is a format that may or may not even be WANTED by the majority
> of consumers and instead of coming up with VALUE and FEATURES to give
> the consumer to convince him to upgrade, they are giving huge
> disincentives, in fact encouraging him to STAY with SD-DVD (or to
> gowith HD-DVD).
>
> In some ways it's not surprisng, though. If there's a way to lose a
> format way, Sony'll do it.

I guess you missed this part of the quote you posted:

--
"Oh sorry, Johnny, I forgot all about you. You can go now."

Now playing: "AC/DC - For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)"

Alpha

"Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h9hzp379fi9a$(E-Mail Removed)9.com...
> On 8/11/2005 1:25:33 PM, Goro wrote:
>
>> BluRay is a format that may or may not even be WANTED by the majority
>> of consumers and instead of coming up with VALUE and FEATURES to give
>> the consumer to convince him to upgrade, they are giving huge
>> disincentives, in fact encouraging him to STAY with SD-DVD (or to
>> gowith HD-DVD).
>>
>> In some ways it's not surprisng, though. If there's a way to lose a
>> format way, Sony'll do it.

> I guess you missed this part of the quote you posted:
>
> "...Advanced Access Content System (AACS), one version of which has also
> been adopted by the HD DVD Forum."
> --
> "Oh sorry, Johnny, I forgot all about you. You can go now."
>
> Now playing: "AC/DC - For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)"

To the consumer, this is no different than the attempt funded by Circuit
City to control DVD. It failed. People will *not* be monitored over
telephone or the internet.