Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Best video output?

Best video output?

Bill & Debbie

Is the following ranking accurate?
Best: HDMI
next: S-Video
next: Component
Worse: Composite

Thanks in advance for your help.
Bill

Jay Stewart

"Bill & Debbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dde6i0$d7ad$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is the following ranking accurate?
> Best: HDMI
> next: S-Video
> next: Component
> Worse: Composite
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Bill

Component gives the best picture, most of the time. Your mileage may vary.

AZ Nomad

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:36:16 -0400, Bill & Debbie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is the following ranking accurate?
>Best: HDMI
> next: S-Video
> next: Component
>Worse: Composite

Nope. Component goes between HDMI and S-Video.

Biz

We need to split the digital from the analog connection types...

Digital: HDMI/DVI

DVI carries video only, HDMI can carry the audio as well. since its digital
they should look identical provided your cabling and all your output/input
devices are in correct working order....

Now analog:

Best to worst:

Component
capable of progressive signalling 480p, and above 720p, 1080i

S-video only capable of 480i
composite same but never looks as good as s-video except in the case of LD
players
RF - still crappy and fuzzy as ever

"Bill & Debbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dde6i0$d7ad$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is the following ranking accurate?
> Best: HDMI
> next: S-Video
> next: Component
> Worse: Composite
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Bill

Bill & Debbie

Thanks for helping me better understand these options.
Bill
"Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hwAKe.584879$(E-Mail Removed)...
> We need to split the digital from the analog connection types...
>
> Digital: HDMI/DVI
>
> DVI carries video only, HDMI can carry the audio as well. since its
> digital
> they should look identical provided your cabling and all your output/input
> devices are in correct working order....
>
> Now analog:
>
> Best to worst:
>
> Component
> capable of progressive signalling 480p, and above 720p, 1080i
>
> S-video only capable of 480i
> composite same but never looks as good as s-video except in the case of
> LD
> players
> RF - still crappy and fuzzy as ever
>
> "Bill & Debbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dde6i0$d7ad$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is the following ranking accurate?
>> Best: HDMI
>> next: S-Video
>> next: Component
>> Worse: Composite
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help.
>> Bill

deck.hazen deck.hazen is offline
Junior Member

and is there a difference between a SCART to SCART connection vs. a SCART to RCA male plug set connection?

Thanks,
-- Deck

tranquility tranquility is offline
Junior Member

If you have HDTV, you definalty want to use HDMI or at least component.

HDMI is the only true all digital connection. Meaning that you will get the exact replication of the video as the studios intended.

All other connections have additional processing which add artifacts.
Component looks OK, but HDMI on 1080 P is absolutly perfect.

I have all HD sources and have converted to HDMI by connecting all 3 sources: PS3, satellite receiver and PC to a HDMI switch and to HDTV so I can switch between the sources.