Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Blu Ray and Copy Protection

Blu Ray and Copy Protection

Alpha

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D8BSI55O0.html

Note particularly the following:

"Under Blu-ray's plan, the public would be asked to purchase new Blu-ray
disc players even while their current DVD players work fine. For that to
fly, consumers must be convinced that there are clear benefits to the new
technologies."

Tarkus

On 8/9/2005 2:56:55 PM, Alpha wrote:

> http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D8BSI55O0.html
>
> Note particularly the following:
>
> "Under Blu-ray's plan, the public would be asked to purchase new Blu-ray
> disc players even while their current DVD players work fine. For that to
> fly, consumers must be convinced that there are clear benefits to the new
> technologies."

And this is different from HD-DVD...how?

What a shock that you need a new player to play high definition discs!
Thanks for this earth shattering information, Alpha. That changes
everything.
--
"Trying is the first step towards failure."

Now playing: "Rage Against The Machine - Bombtrack"

Alpha

You are stupid. The point is that the so-called hybrids are not going to
get out the door at all. The new encryption is HARD WIRED....do you
understand?

"Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)9.com...
> On 8/9/2005 2:56:55 PM, Alpha wrote:
>
>> http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D8BSI55O0.html
>>
>> Note particularly the following:
>>
>> "Under Blu-ray's plan, the public would be asked to purchase new Blu-ray
>> disc players even while their current DVD players work fine. For that to
>> fly, consumers must be convinced that there are clear benefits to the new
>> technologies."

> And this is different from HD-DVD...how?
>
> What a shock that you need a new player to play high definition discs!
> Thanks for this earth shattering information, Alpha. That changes
> everything.
> --
> "Trying is the first step towards failure."
>
> Now playing: "Rage Against The Machine - Bombtrack"

Alpha

Tarkus also ignored the following quote:

"The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), a partnership of electronics
manufacturers and Hollywood studios including Hewlett-Packard Co. and 20th
Century Fox, said it plans to fight piracy by embedding an identification
mark on movies, music and video games that can only be read by equipment
that carry its technology."

Who gets their technology??...expect $100 players from China??

"Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D8BSI55O0.html
>
> Note particularly the following:
>
> "Under Blu-ray's plan, the public would be asked to purchase new Blu-ray
> disc players even while their current DVD players work fine. For that to
> fly, consumers must be convinced that there are clear benefits to the new
> technologies."

Pat

Alpha wrote:
> Tarkus also ignored the following quote:
>
> "The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), a partnership of electronics
> manufacturers and Hollywood studios including Hewlett-Packard Co. and 20th
> Century Fox, said it plans to fight piracy by embedding an identification
> mark on movies, music and video games that can only be read by equipment
> that carry its technology."
>

> Who gets their technology??...expect $100 players from China??

I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be similar to the
situation we had with "region codes." By the time any of this becomes
mainstream and recordable media is cheap enough to justify copying, you
will probably be able to buy equipment that plays this stuff without
reading the identification code. The funny part is that they're going
to spend millions of dollars trying to solve a 'problem' that has no
solution.

Goro

Alpha wrote:
> http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D8BSI55O0.html

this is a rather bizarre article. it jumps all over the place from
sentence to sentence and it interchanges the concept of home-user
DVDDecrypting with Large-scale bootleg DVD Pressing.

IMO, the format that will succeed will be the one that is MOST easily
hacked.

-goro-

Goro

Alpha wrote:
> Tarkus also ignored the following quote:
>
> "The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), a partnership of electronics
> manufacturers and Hollywood studios including Hewlett-Packard Co. and 20th
> Century Fox, said it plans to fight piracy by embedding an identification
> mark on movies, music and video games that can only be read by equipment
> that carry its technology."

it's not really clear what they mean by that, owing most likely to the
cluelessness of the writer. Is it a digital watermark so that a
BluRayDisc image file can be tracked to the source? or is it a
decryption key of some sort.

the way it's written, "an id mark... can only be read by equipment that
carry its technology" doesn't sound like a big deeal. Welll, ok, then,
DON'T read teh id makr, just play back the movie! But obv. that's
(likely) not what this ID mark is.

it's really too early to get all panties-bunchy about it.

> Who gets their technology??...expect $100 players from China??

eventually. yes.

Alpha

"Goro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Alpha wrote:
>> http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D8BSI55O0.html

> this is a rather bizarre article. it jumps all over the place from
> sentence to sentence and it interchanges the concept of home-user
> DVDDecrypting with Large-scale bootleg DVD Pressing.
>
> IMO, the format that will succeed will be the one that is MOST easily
> hacked.
>
> -goro-

Your points are well-taken. My guess is that this idea is to totally lock
the disc to the player.

Allan

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...24&newsLang=en

More Tech information.

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Alpha

"Allan" <(E-Mail Removed) t> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...24&newsLang=en
>
> More Tech information.

Revealing, indeed. Good luck, hackers <EG>