windytheweather03@yahoo.com

How do I change this DVD player from Region 1 NTSC to Region 2 PAL?
http://tinyurl.com/d8c7a

#1: I bought this new Panasonic DVD-LS93 portable DVD player (with
remote & headphones & 12v auto charger) from Costco for $400 USD as a
gift for European friends next week (similar to the Panasonic DVD LS90
portable DVD player).

#2: I *thought* there was a switch somewhere to change from Region 1
(USA) NTSC to Region 2 (Western Europe) PAL; but unfortunately I didn't
see anything about that in the "Operating Instructions" manual (part
number RQT8067-1P).

#3: I called Panasonic USA 1-800-211-7262 and the technician simply
said curtly "No Panosonic DVD player can have their region changed,
period." When I told some friends that, they said that was BS and that
I should ask you folks for advice.

So here I am asking you for advice (is this the right place?)!

Q: Where do I find instructions to permanently change the region code
for the Panasonic DVD-LS93 portable DVD player (similar to LS90) from
Region 1 NTSC to Region 2 PAL?

Wendy

g.w.hirohito

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1123516942.161607.65030
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
> Q: Where do I find instructions to permanently change the region code
> for the Panasonic DVD-LS93 portable DVD player (similar to LS90) from
> Region 1 NTSC to Region 2 PAL? ( http://tinyurl.com/d8c7a )

I think answer is Panasonic Customer Support told you it.

It is against manufacturers advice changing region & format in all
Panasonic DVD players. Never. It is against Panasonic Law.

Do not change region in Panasonic DVD players!
Do not break rules!
If you wish to play region 2 DVDs - buy second Panasonic DVD players!

To your error - the Panasonic DVD LS93 is same Panasonic DVD LS90 in
package with Panasonic RP-HT21 headgear and huge 12-hour playback CGR-H703
Li ion battery, case to carry, and 110/220v power so to be used in Europe
ON USA DVDs ONLY!

Never to use with region 2 pal never!

--
Hirohito

g.w.hirohito wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1123516942.161607.65030
> @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
> It is against manufacturers advice changing region & format in all
> Panasonic DVD players. Never. It is against Panasonic Law.

As far as I can tell, DVD region codes are merely a MARKETING tool and
are not based on law anwywhere in the world. If I bought the Panasonic
DVD player and if I bought the Marketing Region 2 DVD, then I can play
them legally on any DVD player anywhere in the world (if I can get them
to play).

All I need to do is switch the Panasonic stand-alone DVD player to
Marketing Region 2. That's all I'm asking of people here (since
Panasonic won't tell me how).

BTW, I'm confused about NTSC vs PAL video formats with respect to DVDs.
Is this the digital-playing format? Or is this just the analog output
format?

I *think* NTSC/PAL is just what comes out of the RCA analog output
jacks? If so, this analog video format has nothing to do with the
player, per se?
Is that true?

If NTSC vs PAL is the actual digital playing format to the SCREEN of
the portable DVD player, then I have a BIGGER problem than the
marketing region code.

I have NO EXPERIENCE in all this so I desperately ask for your help
from experts on these two questions.

Q: How do I switch the portable DVD player region from Marketing Region
1 to Marketing Region 2?
Q: Then, when I put in a PAL format Marketing Region 2 DVD, would it
then play?

Jona Vark

"g.w.hirohito" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns96AC5EFB7CB12gwhirohitomatsushita@207.115. 63.158...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1123516942.161607.65030
>> Never. It is against Panasonic Law.

> Hirohito

"Panasonic Law"

cracks me up..
..

neilnewsgroups@hotmail.com

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> How do I change this DVD player from Region 1 NTSC to Region 2 PAL?

I haven't tried and don't know. It may not be possible.

However, it is possible to change regions or enable all regions for at
least some brands of DVD players. I haven't tried to do that, but I
know that usually you need to figure out how to access a player's
service menu or make a small change to the player's hardware. I suggest
you search the web and newsgroups via Google.com and/or other search
web sites.

I think it might make sense for you to return your DVD player to
Costco, or if it's too late to return it, sell the player on eBay or
somewhere.

Then you could take your money and buy a "region free" player. Here are
some examples, including a bunch of Panasonic portable DVD players:

http://www.world-import.com/portable-dvd.htm

http://www.world-import.com/dvd.htm

Or if you're going to Europe to visit your friends, it could make more
sense to buy the player in Europe. Then you'll know you have a player
that will work in
Europe.

> http://tinyurl.com/d8c7a
>
> #1: I bought this new Panasonic DVD-LS93 portable DVD player (with
> remote & headphones & 12v auto charger) from Costco for $400 USD as a
> gift for European friends next week (similar to the Panasonic DVD LS90
> portable DVD player).
>
> #2: I *thought* there was a switch somewhere to change from Region 1
> (USA) NTSC to Region 2 (Western Europe) PAL; but unfortunately I didn't
> see anything about that in the "Operating Instructions" manual (part
> number RQT8067-1P).
>
> #3: I called Panasonic USA 1-800-211-7262 and the technician simply
> said curtly "No Panosonic DVD player can have their region changed,
> period." When I told some friends that, they said that was BS and that
> I should ask you folks for advice.
>
> So here I am asking you for advice (is this the right place?)!
>
> Q: Where do I find instructions to permanently change the region code
> for the Panasonic DVD-LS93 portable DVD player (similar to LS90) from
> Region 1 NTSC to Region 2 PAL?
>
> Wendy

Rod Speed

(E-Mail Removed) wrote
> g.w.hirohito wrote
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote

>> It is against manufacturers advice changing region & format in
>> all Panasonic DVD players. Never. It is against Panasonic Law.

> As far as I can tell, DVD region codes are merely a MARKETING
> tool and are not based on law anwywhere in the world.

That's arguable given the most recent
digital amendments to most copyright acts.

> If I bought the Panasonic DVD player and if I bought the
> Marketing Region 2 DVD, then I can play them legally on any
> DVD player anywhere in the world (if I can get them to play).

> All I need to do is switch the Panasonic stand-alone
> DVD player to Marketing Region 2.

That isnt necessarily possible once the player has
settled on a region, usually by allowing say 5 changes
of region based on the region of the DVD played.

> That's all I'm asking of people here (since Panasonic won't tell me how).

Quite a few players can now be set region free, but not all.

> BTW, I'm confused about NTSC vs PAL video formats
> with respect to DVDs. Is this the digital-playing format?
> Or is this just the analog output format?

Nope, its also set in the DVD authoring packages too,
so it cant be just the output format used by the player.

The short story is that the better players can convert
when playing and the least capable players cant.

And Panasonic chooses to not include PAL capability in some
of their players sold in north america and sell different versions
outside north america which allow both PAL and NTSC.

> I *think* NTSC/PAL is just what comes out of the RCA analog output jacks?

Fraid not. And there isnt just those two formats with the output
either, you can also see hybrid formats with the wrong frame rate.

And to make things even more complicated, many
modern TVs accept both PAL and NTSC format inputs.

> If so, this analog video format has nothing
> to do with the player, per se? Is that true?

Nope, its also the format written to the DVD media.

> If NTSC vs PAL is the actual digital playing format to
> the SCREEN of the portable DVD player, then I have
> a BIGGER problem than the marketing region code.

You do indeed. In spades with Panasonic which does sell
some models in north americal which are quite different to the
model sold outside north america on that PAL/NTSC question.

> I have NO EXPERIENCE in all this so I desperately
> ask for your help from experts on these two questions.

> Q: How do I switch the portable DVD player region
> from Marketing Region 1 to Marketing Region 2?

Varys with the player. With some that can be done
at will, usually with a unique set of entrys from the
remote. Some need to have the firmware flashed.

> Q: Then, when I put in a PAL format
> Marketing Region 2 DVD, would it then play?

Again, that varys with the player you are using and the TV too.

HGB

> How do I change this DVD player from Region 1 NTSC to Region 2 PAL?
> http://tinyurl.com/d8c7a

Rod Speed doesn't know what he's talking about.

1- Region coding is a marketing issue - NOT a copyright question.
2- Yes you CAN change the portable player from 1 to region 2.
3- No PAL/NTSC has NOTHING to do with region 1 and region 2.

Once you change the region of your panasonic dvd-ls93 portable dvd player,
you can then insert all the region 2 pal dvds you want and this ntsc player
will play then seamlessly because ntsc is just the output composition and
not the playing composition.

I hope this corrects the erroneous information offered by sir speed.

I am sure someone on this newsgroup is an expert who can walk you through
the steps to convert your region 1 ntsc dvd player to read region 2 pal
dvds.

If nobody answers, then it can't be done (as the experts are all here).

#1: I bought this new Panasonic DVD-LS93 portable DVD player (with

#2: I *thought* there was a switch somewhere to change from Region 1

#3: I called Panasonic USA 1-800-211-7262 and the technician simply
said curtly "No Panosonic DVD player can have their region changed,
period." When I told some friends that, they said that was BS and that
I should ask you folks for advice.

So here I am asking you for advice (is this the right place?)!

Q: Where do I find instructions to permanently change the region code
for the Panasonic DVD-LS93 portable DVD player (similar to LS90) from
Region 1 NTSC to Region 2 PAL?

Wendy

SMS

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Q: Where do I find instructions to permanently change the region code
> for the Panasonic DVD-LS93 portable DVD player (similar to LS90) from
> Region 1 NTSC to Region 2 PAL?
>
> Wendy

I do not believe that there is a programmable code to change it. If you
look at "http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks" you'll see that most
Panasonic DVD players do not have any listed hacks for changing the
region code.

However look at: "http://www.dvdcodes.net/panasonic/panasonic70-99.htm"

They can unlock the LS90 with a remote that they sell. You might ask
them if it works with the LS93, most likely it does because I suspect
that the LS93 is simply an LS90 which was specially packaged for Costco
and other warehouse stores. But it costs $48.

I always check that it is possible to change region codes _prior_ to
buying a DVD player. My mother-in-law likes to watch Chinese Opera DVDs
that I buy in Taiwan, and these are region-coded.

I bought the Mintek 1060 from Costco ($300) and it is multi-region via a
hack, "http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php?select=Mintek+MDP-1060".

In general, the no-name brands are more easily modifiable.

Costco has a great return policy.

AnthonyL

On 8 Aug 2005 09:02:22 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>How do I change this DVD player from Region 1 NTSC to Region 2 PAL?
> http://tinyurl.com/d8c7a
>
>#1: I bought this new Panasonic DVD-LS93 portable DVD player (with
>remote & headphones & 12v auto charger) from Costco for $400 USD as a
>gift for European friends next week (similar to the Panasonic DVD LS90
>portable DVD player).

Recently had an almost similar situation - took some free UK DVD's to
an Asian country and found the answer on www.regionfreedvd.net/If you
can't find your answer there or on google "LS93" "Region Free" you are
stuffed

AIUI the region code is not a legal restriction - there are FAQ around
to explain all that but I don't believe you will be hung drawn and
quartered for changing you DVD player if you can. Warranty may be
another issue.

IAMNAL and have just consumed a bottle of Merlot (less 1.5 glasses) so
please excuse any typos.

Cheers

--
AnthonyL

Konna D.

In article <FaOJe.8078$p%(E-Mail Removed)>, SMS
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Q: Where do I find instructions to permanently change the region code
>> for the Panasonic DVD-LS93 portable DVD player (similar to LS90) from
>> Region 1 NTSC to Region 2 PAL?

>However look at: "http://www.dvdcodes.net/panasonic/panasonic70-99.htm"
>They can unlock the LS90 with a remote that they sell. You might ask
>them if it works with the LS93, most likely it does because I suspect
>that the LS93 is simply an LS90 which was specially packaged for Costco
>and other warehouse stores. But it costs $48.

I bought the same Panasonic DVD LS93 player from CostCo so I too am
curious about the difference between the two players (they clearly use the
same owners manual as shown at the URL below).
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DVDLS90.pdf

After calling the local Panasonic hotline 800.405.0652 (surprisingly, after
first lying to me (saying it was the color) Panasonic admitted they didn't
know the difference themselves and suggested I look in the "operating
instructions"). After doing so, I realized the only difference is the weght
and size due to battery capacity differences. I told that to the Panasonic
technician who then said "that must be the difference". Pretty lame support if
you ask me (they don't even know their own product numbers) but be that as it
may, here is the summary.

WEIGHT:
Panasonic DVD LS90 = 1097 grams or 38.69 oz (including the battery)
Panasonic DVD LS93 = 1280 grams or 45.15 oz (including the battery)

SIZE:
Panasonic DVD LS90 = 185 mm or 7-9/32 in in depth (including the battery)
Panasonic DVD LS93 = 201.4 mm or 7-15/16 in in depth (including the battery)

CAPACITY:
Panasonic DVD LS90 = 7.2 volt 4700 mAh (model number CGR-H702)
Panasonic DVD LS93 = 7.2 volt 8600 mAh (model number CGR-H703)

All other specifications appear to be the same between the two models.

Therefore, I suspect the 183g (6-1/2oz) weight and 16.4mm (21/32 inch) size
difference with the Panasonic LS90 are solely due to the larger capacity
(by 3900 mAh) clip-on battery supplied in the LS93.

The wierd thing is we can figure this out, but Panasonic can't!

You might be able to download a firmware upgrade to PAL at:
http://tinyurl.com/aakcu

I too wonder if upgrading to handle all regions will enable this DVD player to
play PAL as happened in the URL provided below with a similar
Panasonic portable DVD player:
"http://www.videohelp.com/dvdha cks"

In addition, if these guys ( "http://www.dvdcodes.net/panaso
nic/panasonic70-99.htm" ) can eliminate the region coding in a single button
press, then we mere mortals should be able to do it with the supplied remote
(if there only was an expert on this newsgroup that knew how).