Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Robert Rodriguez on the Sin CIty DVD.

Robert Rodriguez on the Sin CIty DVD.

Allan

http://www.moviehole.net/news/6070.html

Q:Is DVD the kind of director's new best friend?

Rodriguez: Yeah, for I think it's just the way you can perceive how
movie entertainment's viewed and that's just for DVD but like future
HD DVD and all the extra things you put on it. When I was doing Sin
City, you're just very aware that, OK, there's a theatrical release
which is pretty much a one-shot. People go and see it in the theatres
for a couple of weeks and then they kind of forget about that, and
then whatever comes out later is the more definitive version. So, it's
all frank, let's just do three stories and I know it doesn't make a
whole lot of sense, cram three stories together and we'll shoot the
full books but in editing, I just figure out what stuff we need to cut
out to make it flow as a feature for the theatrical release so people
can sit there under two hours and see sort of a resemblance of what
the movie is. But when it goes to DVD, we do the special edition where
a second disc would have the stories separated out in their full cut
so you can see it the way you would read the books. You just watch the
Ol' Bastard and see it full cut or see Big Fat Kill, and that's the
way you're supposed to read the books. You're not supposed to read
three in a row really quick. So that's going to be cool. So we already
thought about that so we shot the full books knowing, and all the
voice-overs, knowing we could put it together as single episodes and
that eventually we did part two and part three, you'd end up having a
disc that had all the stories separated and you could put them in any
order you want or watch them any way you want.

Q: Well, knowing that there may be different versions of the movie,
released on DVD, do you do anything in particular to make sure you
distinguish one from the other. I mean, as a film maker, do you make
sure to do something to distinguish one release from the other? Like
Peter Jackson did with The Lord of the Rings movies.

Rodriguez: Well you guys put out one. This one Barry put in that one
that comes out next week that was just bare I had not put anything
extra on that because I didn't have time to finish my DVD extras, they
put that out four months later because of piracy and stuff like that.
So they'll make sure you don't put anything on there so that they
know, well this isn't the real DVD. The real DVD should come out
fairly quick which will be just obviously the double disc with all the
goodies on it. It has everything, all kinds of stuff in there. It'll
have a twenty minute film school, a new cooking school, Sin City
breakfast tacos. My favourite feature is, you know, when people watch
DVDs they complain, well the only thing about home entertainment is
you miss that audience experience. Well the best audience is in
Austin, especially for a movie that was made there, could be showed,
the premieres with the actors there, with a 1500 seat theatre and they
go crazy. In Sin City there was a big reaction. I recorded the
audience at 5.1 so watching the DVD and you want to see it with an
Austin audience on premiere night, you just click a button and they're
all there, so it's really cool. And then Quentin when he directed his
sequence, he just let the tape roll while we were recording or
shooting, and sit and tape for an hour or so. There's something like
twenty minute uninterrupted tapes, his sequencing. You see him go in
front of the camera and talk with the actors and directing and you
hear the whole sounds of the set. It's like you're sitting right there
in the set, seeing the movie being shot, from the point of view of the
camera that's shooting the movie and uninterrupted, it's really cool,
you feel like you're right there and you get to see what it's like to
work with Quentin and the actors and how the movie actually gets made.

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Jordan

Odd he doesn't say anything about multiple takes and stuff... From my
memory there were two sequences removed from the Marv story and one
that was edited. I wonder if all of this is going to be back in or not?

Removed sequence - Marv goes home to his mom's house to get his gun,
Gladys.
Removed sequence - Marv, imprisoned at the farm-house, throws himself
against the door repeatedly trying to break it. (In the movie he pulls
the bars from the window.)

Edited sequence - When Marv is tied up being pistol-whipped by the
hookers he tells them "You shouldn't use the barrel of the gun like
that, it will throw it all out of whack, you should use the butt of the
gun like you did the first time..."