Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > VHS to DVD copy

VHS to DVD copy

Crow T Robot

Is it legal to copy a VHS tape to DVD for personal use? Is the rule if you
sell the tape you must destroy the DVD? Can a second party copy a VHS tape
for someone under these conditions?

--
*********************End Transmission********************************
Send all complaints, requests and/or thanks to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

ICQ #34907449

Website - http://www.sithicus.org
Free Dishnetwork: http://www.vmcsatellite.com/?aid=180117

nothing."
-Edmund Burke

"Try not, do or do not there is no try"
- Yoda(Empire Strikes Back)

Suggestion(s) or comments?

Alpha

"Crow T Robot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%zvJe.65436$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Is it legal to copy a VHS tape to DVD for personal use?

In the US:

If you own it, it seems to be legal..

> Is the rule if you sell the tape you must destroy the DVD?

Yes.

> Can a second party copy a VHS tape for someone under these conditions?

Aboslutely not.

JayCee

Crow T Robot wrote:
> Is it legal to copy a VHS tape to DVD for personal use? Is the rule if you
> sell the tape you must destroy the DVD? Can a second party copy a VHS tape
> for someone under these conditions?

What you are talking about doing is illegal. Do not make illegal copies.

The Man Behind The Curtain

JayCee wrote:
> Crow T Robot wrote:
>
>> Is it legal to copy a VHS tape to DVD for personal use? Is the rule
>> if you sell the tape you must destroy the DVD? Can a second party
>> copy a VHS tape for someone under these conditions?

> What you are talking about doing is illegal.

No it is not.

Learn the law.

John

Alpha

"The Man Behind The Curtain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> JayCee wrote:
>> Crow T Robot wrote:
>>
>>> Is it legal to copy a VHS tape to DVD for personal use? Is the rule if
>>> you sell the tape you must destroy the DVD? Can a second party copy a
>>> VHS tape for someone under these conditions?

>> What you are talking about doing is illegal.

> No it is not.
>
> Learn the law.

You learn it. Only the first thing is permissable...everything else is not.

Pat

JayCee wrote:
> Crow T Robot wrote:
>
>> Is it legal to copy a VHS tape to DVD for personal use? Is the rule
>> if you sell the tape you must destroy the DVD? Can a second party
>> copy a VHS tape for someone under these conditions?

> What you are talking about doing is illegal. Do not make illegal copies.

Do it just to **** this guy off.

Jordan

It depends on the tape. If it's something that's encoded with
Macrovision then that's a breech of the DMCA. If you're copying
something that they taped off television then it's more of a gray area.

- Jordan

Marci

Jordan wrote:
> It depends on the tape. If it's something that's encoded with
> Macrovision then that's a breech of the DMCA. If you're copying
> something that they taped off television then it's more of a gray area.
>
> - Jordan

So does that mean that when I recorded all 285 store bought VHS tapes to
DVD and donated the tapes to the local library and senior center, that's
breaking the law? I honestly thought I was doing a good thing. No
really. I'm serious.

Most of them were in watchable condition because of degradation. That's
why I recorded them.

Biz

If you kept the original VHS tapes, yes that is illegal.....

"Marci" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jordan wrote:
> > It depends on the tape. If it's something that's encoded with
> > Macrovision then that's a breech of the DMCA. If you're copying
> > something that they taped off television then it's more of a gray area.
> >
> > - Jordan
> >

> So does that mean that when I recorded all 285 store bought VHS tapes to
> DVD and donated the tapes to the local library and senior center, that's
> breaking the law? I honestly thought I was doing a good thing. No
> really. I'm serious.
>
> Most of them were in watchable condition because of degradation. That's
> why I recorded them.

Jordan

See, here's the thing, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act makes the
mere act of bypassing copy protection a crime. So it doesn't matter if
you kept the tapes or didn't keep the tapes, if the tapes had
Macrovision encoding on them (and the vast majority of commercially
produced VHS tapes do) the act of backing them up to DVD is, in and of
itself, a federal felony. Each act of which is punishable by multiple
years in prison and multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines.

So how can you tell if a tape has Macrovision encoding on it or not?
Well, you hook up 2 VCRs together and try to make a tape to tape copy.
If it comes out all blurry and purple that's Macrovision.

More here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMCA

and here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macrovision