Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Best site for "decoding" DVD labeling on format?

Best site for "decoding" DVD labeling on format?

lasitter

After visiting a few web pages like this one:

http://www.dvdaust.com/film_formats.htm

it would seem that knowing how the film was originally shot is just the
beginning of figuring out what has been sliced, diced, windowed and
crammed onto any given DVD ...

Add to that all the particulars on the quality of the transfer, (how
many layers?), errors and artifacts, lipsync ...

Then top it all off with the really confusing descriptive of the format
as provided on the DVD packaging, and I'm left really puzzled most of
the time.

What's the easiest way to tell whether the DVD shows you:

At least as much of the image as you might have expected to see in a
theatre?

What the director / cinematographer might have WISHED that you had
seen, without regard to theatre shape or other playback limitations?
(Basically, is it possible that there's more "good stuff" on the film
that never makes it onto the screen?)

How can you tell if "WideScreen 1.85:1" == "1.85:1 Pan & Scan",
Hacked down from 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 original theatrical?

(While I'm at it

How are these two Warner Brothers movies different?

"Presented in a 'letterbox' widescreen format preserving the 'scope'
aspect ratio of its original theatrical exhibition"

"Presented in a 'matted' widescreen format preserving the aspect ratio
of its original theatrical exhibition. Enhanced for widescreen TVs."

When Paramount says:

"Widescreen Version. Enhanced for 16x9

-and on the same box-

"This film is presented in 'widescreen' format. The black bars on the
top and bottom of the screen are normal."

What should I expect? 1.85x1 P&S? Original theatrical?

Perhaps there's a web site I can visit, plug in an ISBN / UPC number,
and get a clear analysis of what's in the package?

Many thanks.

Baz

Internet Movie Database often has DVD details.
http://www.imdb.com/

Usually you just wait for the screams of despair of the buyers after they
find their favourite film has been butchered.
Different region versions are often butchered in different ways, just to add
to the confusion.

"lasitter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> After visiting a few web pages like this one:
>
> http://www.dvdaust.com/film_formats.htm
>
> it would seem that knowing how the film was originally shot is just the
> beginning of figuring out what has been sliced, diced, windowed and
> crammed onto any given DVD ...
>
> Add to that all the particulars on the quality of the transfer, (how
> many layers?), errors and artifacts, lipsync ...
>
> Then top it all off with the really confusing descriptive of the format
> as provided on the DVD packaging, and I'm left really puzzled most of
> the time.
>
> What's the easiest way to tell whether the DVD shows you:
>
> At least as much of the image as you might have expected to see in a
> theatre?
>
> What the director / cinematographer might have WISHED that you had
> seen, without regard to theatre shape or other playback limitations?
> (Basically, is it possible that there's more "good stuff" on the film
> that never makes it onto the screen?)
>
> How can you tell if "WideScreen 1.85:1" == "1.85:1 Pan & Scan",
> Hacked down from 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 original theatrical?
>
> (While I'm at it
>
> How are these two Warner Brothers movies different?
>
> "Presented in a 'letterbox' widescreen format preserving the 'scope'
> aspect ratio of its original theatrical exhibition"
>
> "Presented in a 'matted' widescreen format preserving the aspect ratio
> of its original theatrical exhibition. Enhanced for widescreen TVs."
>
> When Paramount says:
>
> "Widescreen Version. Enhanced for 16x9
>
> -and on the same box-
>
> "This film is presented in 'widescreen' format. The black bars on the
> top and bottom of the screen are normal."
>
> What should I expect? 1.85x1 P&S? Original theatrical?
>
> Perhaps there's a web site I can visit, plug in an ISBN / UPC number,
> and get a clear analysis of what's in the package?
>
> Many thanks.

lasitter

OK, so I went to IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/Sections/DVDs/As...ios/1.85_:_1/A

And if you check out the first two entries, both are 1.85:1

The first is "anamorphic widescreen"
The second is simply "widescreen"

Since both are 1.85:1, what does this mean for my 16:9 (non-HD) set?

Won't both fill the screen the same way?

Alpha

"lasitter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> OK, so I went to IMDB:
>
> http://www.imdb.com/Sections/DVDs/As...ios/1.85_:_1/A
>
> And if you check out the first two entries, both are 1.85:1
>
> The first is "anamorphic widescreen"
> The second is simply "widescreen"
>
> Since both are 1.85:1, what does this mean for my 16:9 (non-HD) set?
>
> Won't both fill the screen the same way?

http://www.dvdfile.com/news/special_...anamorphic.htm

Alpha

Also:

http://gregl.net/videophile/anamorphic.htm

Best Inkjet Printer for Direct CD and DVD Labeling? cmashieldscapting@hotmail.com Digital Photography 133 06-07-2006 11:22 PM
ncsim and signal labeling andy VHDL 1 10-26-2004 08:40 AM
Map labeling in Java Chris Smith Java 0 07-30-2004 10:20 PM
CD labeling software George Computer Support 3 04-25-2004 06:04 PM
Labeling DVD'S with Memerox stamper Budd DVD Video 8 02-22-2004 08:39 PM

Advertisments