Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > 20th CENTURY FOX: Double-dipping policy has to stop

20th CENTURY FOX: Double-dipping policy has to stop

Throw Icebreaker From The Train

"The Man Behind The Curtain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the meantime, you could go rent some DVDs made before there were
> digital special effects, when screenwriters had to write dialogue and
> create things called characters.

Well, I did rent Logan's Run last month on dvd. Why does almost all 1970's
futuristic sci-fi films look like...1975? I mean, the future as they
envisioned it back then was one of large computers, very 70's-ish clothing
and hairstyles, etc....I mean, none of it was futuristic. The look of the
film is very dated. Even the Star Wars films, except for maybe the original,
don't really look dated like Logan's Run does.

> As for the greedy studios, they only do crap like this because people like
> you make it profitable.

People like me? I don't think so. I haven't bought any of the second-edition
dvds that 20th Century Fox has put out, or any other studio for that matter.
You should take these comments to the message boards over at dvdanswers.com,
where the posters are begrudgingly admitting they are going to go out and
pay yet again for more AvP (even though they all pretty much admitted they
hate the film, but need it to complete their collection, even though they've
got Fox's first release of AvP sitting on their shelves).

Only time i've come close to buying a later edition of a current release was
when I bought Alien Quadrilogy, and that's only because I no longer owned
the original Alien Legacy collection when Alien Quadrilogy came out. You're
preaching to the choir man.

-------------------------------------
Icebreaker
"You've absolved yourself of responsibility. You live from self-induced
crisis to self-induced crisis. Someone does your hair, someone chooses what
you wear, someone does your brain, someone tells you what to eat and three
times a week someone sticks a hose up your bum and flushes it all out of
you!"

Tarkus

On 8/6/2005 1:53:13 PM, timeOday wrote:

> BTR1701 wrote:
>> In article <kdWIe.2446$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Throw Icebreaker From The
>> Train" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I plan on buying a box set of Superman movies, but i'm not going to buy
>>>this new re-issue that Warner Brothers just commissioned, because
>>>I am now too savvy a consumer to get suckered into that trap.

>> Congratulations. You just grew up and realized that you don't have to
>> buy everything they put on the shelves.
>>
>> They offer it for sale. You can always say no.

> I think that's exactly what he's saying - people, DON'T indulge these
> companies by playing their stupid games. Since one consumer's buying
> habits can't change anything, spreading the word on Usenet is a good way
> to hopefully get things changed faster.

Except anyone who agrees with him should be smart enough to already be
curbing their purchases that way.
--
"The term is 'courting,' thank you. The restraining order
says 'no-no,' but her eyes say 'yes-yes.'"

Now playing: "Nazareth - Miss Misery"

Throw Icebreaker From The Train

"Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)9.com...

> Except anyone who agrees with him should be smart enough to already be
> curbing their purchases that way.

The initial buy isn't necessarily the bigger problem here. It's the wave of
consumers who are willing to buy newer editions of Elektra, I Robot,
Dodgeball, etc...after a) they've just been released on dvd less than six
months prior and b) who know they are being fleeced by the studio, but go
ahead and buy the upgraded version anyway.

-------------------------------------
Icebreaker
"Only three more hours, sea people. Only three more hours and you can take
me away from this crappy planet full of hippies."

Tom Zielinski

> The initial buy isn't necessarily the bigger problem here. It's the wave
> of consumers who are willing to buy newer editions of Elektra, I Robot,
> Dodgeball, etc...after a) they've just been released on dvd less than six
> months prior and b) who know they are being fleeced by the studio, but go
> ahead and buy the upgraded version anyway.

What brain-dead morons BUY Elektra or Dodgeball?! The same ones going to
see Dukes this weekend? Geezus. That's ****ing scary.

I like Vince Vaughn, Ben Stiller, and Rip Torn, hence Ii went to see the
film, but Dodgeball was complete crap. And Elektra never even showed up on
my radar.

As a society, we are a scary example of bad and moronic and empty taste.

Tom Zielinski

> People like me? I don't think so. I haven't bought any of the
> second-edition dvds that 20th Century Fox has put out, or any other studio
> for that matter. You should take these comments to the message boards over
> at dvdanswers.com, where the posters are begrudgingly admitting they are
> going to go out and pay yet again for more AvP (even though they all
> pretty much admitted they hate the film, but need it to complete their
> collection, even though they've got Fox's first release of AvP sitting on
> their shelves).

****ing idiots who should cease complaining when it's their own stupidity
that is being exploited.

BTR1701

In article <VkaJe.2893$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Throw Icebreaker From The
Train" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)9.com...
>
> > Except anyone who agrees with him should be smart enough to already be
> > curbing their purchases that way.

> The initial buy isn't necessarily the bigger problem here. It's the wave
> of consumers who are willing to buy newer editions of Elektra, I Robot,
> Dodgeball, etc...after a) they've just been released on dvd less than six
> months prior and b) who know they are being fleeced by the studio, but go
> ahead and buy the upgraded version anyway.

That means they're merely idiots. And if the studios can make a few more
million bucks selling crap to idiots, I say more power to them.

The smart people won't buy. The idiots will be happy with their
super-duper editions and the studios make more money. Everyone's happy.

kaydigi

"Mark Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dc7Je.1710$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
>> Mark Jones wrote on [Sat, 06 Aug 2005 13:16:02 GMT]:
>> > "jmc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:dd1q8l$5d4$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>> > are

> with

> don't
>> > I would imagine that your idea of taste is to watch boring movies
>> > that would cure insomnia.

>> Like iRobot

> Not even close. I just watched it again this morning, after reading
> this thread, and it wasn't too bad.

You just said it wasn't to bad. Which means there were bad parts in it,
which doesn't make a good movie.

Aaron J. Bossig

Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed)9.com:

>>> They offer it for sale. You can always say no.

>> I think that's exactly what he's saying - people, DON'T indulge these
>> companies by playing their stupid games. Since one consumer's buying
>> habits can't change anything, spreading the word on Usenet is a good
>> way to hopefully get things changed faster.

> Except anyone who agrees with him should be smart enough to already be
> curbing their purchases that way.

I long ago realized that lot's of newer editions aren't a significant
improvement over the previous release. When DVD was new, a Special Edition
often meant fixing big problems with the first release. Now, it often
means a redesigned case or fluff extras. Read the back of the box,
is it worth paying the extra money for?

--

Aaron J. Bossig, who would rather own two
versions of Clerks than one AvP.

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com

Black Locust

In article <kdWIe.2446$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Throw Icebreaker From The Train" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> When AvP was released in theaters, then talked about before the launch on
> dvd, the director assured us that the cut he turned in was the complete
> film; that there were no scenes filmed that didn't make it into the movie.
> That there would not be a newer version of AvP coming out after the January
> release. Yet that is exactly what we are getting. This week 20th Century Fox
> announces another edition of AvP & Elektra, to go with versions already
> released earlier in the year.

While I have no objections against your complaints(i fully agree), I
have to take issue with this statement. On what occasion did Paul
Anderson ever state that the theatrical release of AvP was his complete
"directors cut?" I quite vividly remember the exact opposite happening.
Shortly after AvP was released to theatres, Paul Anderson made it clear
that a number of scenes were cut so the film could receive a PG-13
rating, including the much discussed missing chest burster sequences. He
also said there were scenes cut out that explained why the incubation
period for the aliens was only a "couple of hours", among other things.
I held off buying the current DVD because I was certain that a double
dip was inevitable and I was right. The fact that the first DVD was so
skimpy on extras also made me suspicious.

As for the rest of your post, the only solution I can offer is
renting(like others have mentioned). This is what I do and I save myself
a butt load of cash in the process. If you want to see the DVD
immediately, just rent it and then wait a few months to see if a better
edition comes down the pipeline. And there are more rental options
available now than ever before. Not only will your local Blockbuster
have thousands of DVDs for rent, but you also have services like Netflix
and Blockbuster's online rental service available. I know the double
dipping ****ing sucks, but this is just the nature of the video market
now that DVD has taken over. Just gotta learn to deal with it I'm
afraid. It's unlikely it will ever stop, especially now that movie
theatres are on the road to extincition(sad, but true). Movie theatre
attendace is in RAPID decline and the studios now have to make up for it
with DVD sales...

Joe McC

"Mark Steese" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> According to the IMDb, the Extended Version "simply adds a 2 minute
> intro before the credits. It shows the whaling station in 1904, and a
> whaler is being chased. He enters a building and tries to hide, only for
> a Predator to de-cloak in front of him. As the camera cuts to the
> 'Predator vision' though, it is clear that the hunter is chasing an
> Alien in the same room, which lunges at the camera. The movie then cuts
> to the opening titles and proceeds from there like the theatrical
> version." (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0370263/alternateversions)

This is all getting a bit confused, but the original poster's gripe is
actually
legitimate.

Mark, your IMDb reference refers to "an" extended version on
DVD (in fact an earlier region 2 release).

This latest DVD double dip is different to that one, with several added
or extended scenes.

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...7349&n=1&burl=

Prior to release of the original DVD, the director claimed he had been
forced by the studio to severely cut violent and character-driven scenes
to slot AVP into a teen-friendly PG13 rating.

Bridling at the comments & their likely impact on DVD sales, the studio
denied this, cited Anderson as a liar and explained no such scenes
existed - there would be no extended cut since there was
nothing of value on the cutting room floor.

So people who *would* have held off for an unrated, hopefully gorier
version instead bought the theatrical release DVD in good faith.....only
for this version to pop up an unseemly short time later.

In other words, Fox lied.....

Ironically, even this version may not be the one Anderson alluded to,
(so if he was telling the truth, a third R rated version *could*
happen).

Whatever one's views on the merits of the film, it's obvious that
fans of the franchise, of which there are many, were deceived
by Fox into buying what they believed to be the definitive DVD
release less than a year ago.

In Fox's bullish, Murdochian world of bottom-line-thinking, they
clearly view customers with contempt........more so, in my view,
than most studios.

Joe