Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > 20th CENTURY FOX: Double-dipping policy has to stop

20th CENTURY FOX: Double-dipping policy has to stop

Tarkus

On 8/6/2005 12:33:17 AM, BTR1701 wrote:

> In article <kdWIe.2446$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Throw Icebreaker From The
> Train" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I plan on buying a box set of Superman movies, but i'm not going to buy
>> this new re-issue that Warner Brothers just commissioned, because
>> I am now too savvy a consumer to get suckered into that trap.

> Congratulations. You just grew up and realized that you don't have to
> buy everything they put on the shelves.
>
> They offer it for sale. You can always say no.

Thank you.
--
"The blues isn't about feeling better. It's about making other
people feel WORSE, and making a few bucks while you're at it."

Now playing: "King's X - Burning Down"

The Man Behind The Curtain

Throw Icebreaker From The Train wrote:
> You can blame me for buying the movies in the first place (Day After
> Tomorrow, I Robot, Alien vs Predator) all you want

No, I just blame you for having such bad taste in movies.

John

The Man Behind The Curtain

jmc wrote:

> If you go around consuming movies which have nothing to do with art and are
> only there to make rich ***** richer, you get everything you deserve with
> nobs on. Instead of getting another version of I ****ing Robot, why don't
> you get some taste?

Could have said it better m'self.

John

The Man Behind The Curtain

Throw Icebreaker From The Train wrote:

> You've got at least four Fox films from 2004 that have been re-released on
> dvd in less than 6 months from their initial dvd release.

They're anxious to pump up sagging revenues (or at least revenues they
view as sagging; if they're not making truckloads of money with each and
every release they get all panicky). Cable and overseas and everything
else is saturated. Most people who are expected to buy DVD players have
already bought DVD players, so they can't count on new people buying
DVDs; therefore, the only trick left is to sell to the existing
customers over and over.

You have a weapon to combat them. It's called patience. As you say,
these releases come on the heels of each other. So wait three to six
months before you run out and buy the DVD. Problem solved. In the
meantime, you could go rent some DVDs made before there were digital
special effects, when screenwriters had to write dialogue and create
things called characters. You'd discover a whole new world, one that
offers more thrills than an XBox game. As for the greedy studios, they
only do crap like this because people like you make it profitable.

Remember, you're not a helpless consumer. You can persuade or dissuade
with your wallet and your feet.

John

Justin

Mark Jones wrote on [Sat, 06 Aug 2005 13:16:02 GMT]:
> "jmc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dd1q8l$5d4$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>> If you go around consuming movies which have nothing to do with art and

> are
>> only there to make rich ***** richer, you get everything you deserve with
>> nobs on. Instead of getting another version of I ****ing Robot, why don't
>> you get some taste?

> I would imagine that your idea of taste is to watch boring movies
> that would cure insomnia.

Like iRobot

Mark Jones

"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
> Mark Jones wrote on [Sat, 06 Aug 2005 13:16:02 GMT]:
> > "jmc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:dd1q8l$5d4$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> >> If you go around consuming movies which have nothing to do with art and

> > are
> >> only there to make rich ***** richer, you get everything you deserve

with
> >> nobs on. Instead of getting another version of I ****ing Robot, why

don't
> >> you get some taste?

> > I would imagine that your idea of taste is to watch boring movies
> > that would cure insomnia.

> Like iRobot

Not even close. I just watched it again this morning, after reading
this thread, and it wasn't too bad.

The Man With No Name

"Mark Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mK2Je.3923$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> "jmc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dd1q8l$5d4$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> > If you go around consuming movies which have nothing to do with art and

> are
> > only there to make rich ***** richer, you get everything you deserve

with
> > nobs on. Instead of getting another version of I ****ing Robot, why

don't
> > you get some taste?

> I would imagine that your idea of taste is to watch boring movies
> that would cure insomnia.

Now that sounds genuinely tasteless.
Of course the great movies are going to be boring, if you haven't the
intellect to appreciate them.
I don't speak Spanish, so I'm sure that if I read an untranslated copy of
Don Quixote, I'd probably find it boring. That doesn't mean it's a bad book.

Similarly, you probably can't appreciate anything more than action-scenes,
and the lowest forms of humor. So, if you were to watch something as
thematically rich and mesmerising as 'Solaris,' you'd completely miss
everything that makes the film great.

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, The Man Behind The
Curtain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You have a weapon to combat them. It's called patience. As you say,
> these releases come on the heels of each other. So wait three to six
> months before you run out and buy the DVD. Problem solved. In the
> meantime, you could go rent some DVDs made before there were digital
> special effects, when screenwriters had to write dialogue and create
> things called characters. You'd discover a whole new world, one that
> offers more thrills than an XBox game. As for the greedy studios, they
> only do crap like this because people like you make it profitable.
>
> Remember, you're not a helpless consumer. You can persuade or dissuade
> with your wallet and your feet.

There are other factors here. As I understand it dvd sales are
currently very front loaded: everyone buys a copy the first week, when
stores have it on sale, then sales drop to almost nothing. This is
causing stores to then stop stocking titles, particularly minor ones,
as there's no point. The anime market is hurting due to this as many
small titles need word of mouth to reach their market and profits from
early volumes fund the later ones. Not buying when a show first comes
out can cause the cancelation of the rest. When it comes to the major
studios, re-releasing an "improved" version can be considered just a
way to again get the title in Best Buy's ad and stocked in quanity.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Mark Steese

"Throw Icebreaker From The Train" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:kdWIe.2446$(E-Mail Removed):

> You can blame me for buying the movies in the first place (Day After
> Tomorrow, I Robot, Alien vs Predator) all you want, but with Day After
> Tomorrow I waited until after January to buy the movie after not
> hearing anything about any new versions coming out. Within weeks of
> buying it, FOX announces that they're coming out with a newer version.

Perhaps you should've rented?

> When AvP was released in theaters, then talked about before the launch
> on dvd, the director assured us that the cut he turned in was the
> complete film; that there were no scenes filmed that didn't make it
> into the movie. That there would not be a newer version of AvP coming
> out after the January release. Yet that is exactly what we are
> getting.

According to the IMDb, the Extended Version "simply adds a 2 minute
intro before the credits. It shows the whaling station in 1904, and a
whaler is being chased. He enters a building and tries to hide, only for
a Predator to de-cloak in front of him. As the camera cuts to the
'Predator vision' though, it is clear that the hunter is chasing an
Alien in the same room, which lunges at the camera. The movie then cuts
to the opening titles and proceeds from there like the theatrical
version." (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0370263/alternateversions)

Since the scene evidently had the benefit of complete post-production
work, it would surprise me if Fox cut it from the theatrical print
without Anderson's knowledge so they could 'restore' it to the DVD.

> This week 20th Century Fox announces another edition of AvP &
> Elektra, to go with versions already released earlier in the year.

It's hard to sympathize with anyone who got burned because they already
bought a copy of either "Alien vs. Predator" or "Elektra."

> This comes on the heels of double-dipping with Day After Tomorrow,
> Dodgeball, and I Robot.
>
> This "double-dipping" policy is particularly egregious in Fox's case.
> I can see maybe issuing a new box set every 7 years or so, but to
> release two completely different versions of a movie in the same year?

You realize that it's all the fault of "Lord of the Rings," right? New
Line raked in a ton of cash by releasing the plain-vanilla theatrical
versions on DVD and then the extended versions a few months later. Other
studios began imitating the practice. Big shock. And instead of creating
substantially different versions by adding in tons of extra footage that
was deleted for time considerations (like the "Rings" movies), other
studios tack on a few minutes of extra scenes that should've been left
on the cutting room floor. Even bigger shock.

> I can't even get Fox to release the last volume of the tv series Son
> of the Beach onto dvd, and Volume One came out 2 years ago.

Well, you have to balance your need for more "Son of the Beach" DVDs
against God's threatening everyone at Fox with eternal damnation just
for releasing the first batch.

> I plan on buying a box set of Superman movies, but i'm not going to
> buy this new re-issue that Warner Brothers just commissioned, because
> I am now too savvy a consumer to get suckered into that trap.

Given that you've just stated your desire to get more "Son of the
Beach" DVDs, you'll have to excuse a slight bit of skepticism with
regard to the whole 'savvy consumer' business.

> I'm willing to be a little more patient and bet on Warners issuing a
> ultra-brand-new box set in Fall of 2006 when Superman Returns in
> released on dvd. Same with Mr.and Mrs. Smith. Since FOX is
> double-dipping on all of their titles now, i'll just wait for May of
> 2006 to roll around and will pick up the latest version of 'Smith'.
> I've been burned by FOX too many times now.

Seriously, try renting. I hear Netflix is all the rage these days.
--
Mark Steese
unscramble and underscore to email

timeOday

BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <kdWIe.2446$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Throw Icebreaker From The
> Train" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I plan on buying a box set of Superman movies, but i'm not going to buy
>>this new re-issue that Warner Brothers just commissioned, because
>>I am now too savvy a consumer to get suckered into that trap.

> Congratulations. You just grew up and realized that you don't have to
> buy everything they put on the shelves.
>
> They offer it for sale. You can always say no.

I think that's exactly what he's saying - people, DON'T indulge these
companies by playing their stupid games. Since one consumer's buying
habits can't change anything, spreading the word on Usenet is a good way
to hopefully get things changed faster.