Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > 20th CENTURY FOX: Double-dipping policy has to stop

20th CENTURY FOX: Double-dipping policy has to stop

BTR1701

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jeff Rife <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Joe McC ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> > > They were not "based on". They were part of the TV show that happened to
> > > premiere on a theater screen.
> > >
> > > To say they were "based on" would be equivalent to saying that any episode
> > > of a TV show that doesn't fit your definition of "normal episode" would
> > > be "based on". So, two-hour series finales of half-hour sitcoms would be
> > > "based on" the show.

> > You on crack?

> In responding to crazy people, it does sometimes end up looking weird to
> the sane people.
>
> This guy redefines everything to suit his own purposes all the time.

What the hell are you talking about? Do you even know? How exactly do I
"redefine everything to suit my purposes all the time"? This oughta be
good.

Oh, and please provide evidence that "everyone else" accepts your random
definition of "based on". Considering the motion picture industry itself
doesn't accept that definition, you'll be hard pressed to show that
"everyone else" does.

Derek Janssen

SirDeuce wrote:

>>"I'll be glad to re-buy The Sound Of Music if the new transfer doesn't
>>have the edge enhancement problems of the first release. "

> This is TOTALLY the reason I'm looking forward to this release. The
> edge enhancement was horrible, and the special features look
> interesting, though I think I'll keep the other's specials features as
> well, since there seems to be little overlap in either edition. I'm
> also looking forward to the new Oklahoma edition with both versions of
> the film (Cinemascope/Todd-AO) and their differences. And the new
> Wizard of Oz set looks spectacular. And Oliver is no longer a flipper.

And more specifically, the new Oz set is no longer what we would later
come to know as the cool Warner Classic 2-Disk, CRAMMED onto one poor
overcrowded disk, with not even room for commentary...

In fact, it could've been one of the *reasons* Warner afterwards
discovered the value of 2-disk for classics--
And we'd sure begged them long enough for this one.

> If new DVD versions correct mistakes and pile on the goodies, I'll buy
> them. I'm disappointed when they lose stuff, though.

And if losing edge enhancement on "Sound of Music" means losing the
feature documentary from the first release, I'll take the edge, thanks.

Derek Janssen

TokaMundo

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 15:05:24 -0700, "Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>Whether you top or bottom post should depend on context. I am tired of
>stating this over and over. The rule 'never top post' is very stupid.

What is very stupid is when someone traipses into a forum and begins
acting as if he knows anything about the accepted protocols that have
been established decades earlier.

It doesn't matter what you think... if you come into a forum
ignoring what is expected, you are a mere interloper, and have no
place declaring your opinions on "rules" you never even took the time
to know.

Mark Jones

"Tom Zielinski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There was a very funny article in the Onion a year or so back, about a

woman
> who met a guy in a bar, and then agreed to go home with him. Before he
> seduced her, she got a look at his DVD collection, was horrified by his
> taste in crappy and banal films, and left before anything happened.
>
> I'm pretty sure at least Elektra, Day after Tomorrow, AvP and I, Robot

were
> (or would have been) on his shelf.

Those are all in my large DVD bookcase. I wouldn't want to
hang around someone that judgmental either.

Tom Zielinski

"Mark Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aK4Le.7086$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> "Tom Zielinski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> There was a very funny article in the Onion a year or so back, about a

> woman
>> who met a guy in a bar, and then agreed to go home with him. Before he
>> seduced her, she got a look at his DVD collection, was horrified by his
>> taste in crappy and banal films, and left before anything happened.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure at least Elektra, Day after Tomorrow, AvP and I, Robot

> were
>> (or would have been) on his shelf.

> Those are all in my large DVD bookcase. I wouldn't want to
> hang around someone that judgmental either.

That's just...sad.

Please describe the situation wherein you might say to yourself, "I think
I'll pop in that "Elektra" DVD again tonight", instead of doing something
more worthwhile, like dusting under the refrigerator.

Mark Jones

"Tom Zielinski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mark Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:aK4Le.7086$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> > "Tom Zielinski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> There was a very funny article in the Onion a year or so back, about a

> > woman
> >> who met a guy in a bar, and then agreed to go home with him. Before he
> >> seduced her, she got a look at his DVD collection, was horrified by his
> >> taste in crappy and banal films, and left before anything happened.
> >>
> >> I'm pretty sure at least Elektra, Day after Tomorrow, AvP and I, Robot

> > were
> >> (or would have been) on his shelf.

> > Those are all in my large DVD bookcase. I wouldn't want to
> > hang around someone that judgmental either.

> That's just...sad.
>
> Please describe the situation wherein you might say to yourself, "I think
> I'll pop in that "Elektra" DVD again tonight", instead of doing something
> more worthwhile, like dusting under the refrigerator.

I have watched it at least 3 times already. May just have to watch
it again tonight.

John Harkness

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 18:55:01 GMT, "Mark Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Tom Zielinski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Mark Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:aK4Le.7086$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
>> > "Tom Zielinski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > woman

>> > were
>> > Those are all in my large DVD bookcase. I wouldn't want to
>> > hang around someone that judgmental either.

>> That's just...sad.
>>
>> Please describe the situation wherein you might say to yourself, "I think
>> I'll pop in that "Elektra" DVD again tonight", instead of doing something
>> more worthwhile, like dusting under the refrigerator.

>I have watched it at least 3 times already. May just have to watch
>it again tonight.

One can almost hear the dead brain cells hitting the floor.

John Harkness