Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Optical disc makers lean towards HD DVD not Blu-ray.

Optical disc makers lean towards HD DVD not Blu-ray.

Allan

Optical disc makers lean towards HD DVD not Blu-ray 10:51AM

Leading manufacturers of optical discs in Taiwan are leaning ever so
slightly toward support of HD DVD, as opposed to Blu-ray Disc, as the
standard for next-generation DVD format, as the Taiwan-based makers
will incur much lower costs if they adopt their production equipment
to the HD DVD platform, according to local industry experts.

However, Taiwan-based makers will produce discs based on Blu-ray if
that standard is adopted.

The Video Software Dealers Association (VSDA), a video retail trade
association in the US, called for a compromise between the two
blue-laser groups to adopt a single standard at its 2005 Home
Entertainment meeting last week.

CMC Magnetics and Ritek plan to start production of blue-laser DVD
discs as early as the end of this year, while Lite-On IT and BenQ plan
to offer blue-laser disc drives at the end of 2005 or the first
quarter of 2006, according to the companies.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/75826/op...ot-bluray.html

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Mike

This Blu-ray is not impressive to me. I want something that has a
larger capacity of my corporate tape drive. THEN i would be impressed.