Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > High Def Brings High Sales Hopes.

High Def Brings High Sales Hopes.

Tarkus

On 8/3/2005 2:32:54 PM, Goro wrote:

> Allan wrote:
>> On 3 Aug 2005 10:11:53 -0700, "Goro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I remember when THE KILLER and HARDBOILED criterions came out and
>>> then soon after went out of print. THere were still multple copies
>>> at BestBuy. I bought them for $40 each, which i believe was the
>>> msrp. That's the only time I recall any DVDs being over $25.

>> Hey Goro.... still have those sealed? I'll give you $40 each for
>> them! )
>>

> fortunately, i DID have them sealed and sold them at the height of the
> frenzy. I also sold my sealed 400 Blows Criterion around that time,
> too. People were throwing away a ton of good money those days!

Remember the hubbub over the original "Little Shop of Horrors?" It was
amazing what people were willing to spend for that.
--
"Name's Ash. Housewares."

Now playing: the radio.

lorincantrell@yahoo.com

Will some of those TV shows look any better than they do now on DVD?
The first two seasons of Buffy were shot on 16mm film, and are pretty
grainy looking on DVD, especially the first season. Star Trek TOS was
shot for terrestrial broadcast in the 60's. What was the biggest tube
TV you could get back then? Will it ever look any better unless
Paramount seriously restores the masters?

That being said, I might be willing to spring for an HD set of "Angel,"
despite owning the DVD's already. I always thought that show was shot
beautifully, and it was late enough that they had HD in mind while
making it. I would love to see some of those night scenes in HD, not
to mention Charisma Carpenter.

I would also like to see some of the classic films that were shot in
70mm. As good as my Patton DVD looks, and given the Dimension 150
process it was filmed in, it should be mindblowing in HD.

Also something to consider, if Netflix is allowed by the studios to
carry HD titles, folks can easily sample HD versions of films they
already own on DVD.

-beaumon

Allan

On 3 Aug 2005 14:32:54 -0700, "Goro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >I remember when THE KILLER and HARDBOILED criterions came out and then
>> >soon after went out of print. THere were still multple copies at
>> >BestBuy. I bought them for $40 each, which i believe was the msrp.
>> >That's the only time I recall any DVDs being over $25.

>> Hey Goro.... still have those sealed? I'll give you $40 each for
>> them! )
>>

>fortunately, i DID have them sealed and sold them at the height of the
>frenzy. I also sold my sealed 400 Blows Criterion around that time,
>too. People were throwing away a ton of good money those days!
>
>-goro-

Well... not sure what they paid "in the day"... but:

Not bad I'd say.

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Allan

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 15:34:30 -0700, Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> fortunately, i DID have them sealed and sold them at the height of the
>> frenzy. I also sold my sealed 400 Blows Criterion around that time,
>> too. People were throwing away a ton of good money those days!

>Remember the hubbub over the original "Little Shop of Horrors?" It was
>amazing what people were willing to spend for that.

And still willing to pay:

On 8/3/2005 11:10:51 PM, Allan wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 15:34:30 -0700, Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> fortunately, i DID have them sealed and sold them at the height of
>>> the frenzy. I also sold my sealed 400 Blows Criterion around that
>>> time, too. People were throwing away a ton of good money those
>>> days!

>> Remember the hubbub over the original "Little Shop of Horrors?" It
>> was amazing what people were willing to spend for that.

> And still willing to pay:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6418603511

If memory serves, it used to go for much higher than $122.50. I'm
thinking it was going for several hundred dollars.

--
"And now, let's rise for our opening hymn,
"In The Garden Of Eden" by I. Ron Butterfly."

Now playing: the radio.

"Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ipb35ultasle$(E-Mail Removed)9.com...
> On 8/3/2005 8:35:08 AM, Allan wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 21:47:22 -0700, "Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>LOL. No way. Dream on.

>> So. "Peter Chernin, president of News Corp. (Research) and its Fox
>> Entertainment unit" is "dreaming....
>>
>> OK. Any other numbers or facts you want to make up today Alpha?

> Did he ever respond to that post that showed that Blu-Ray could have
> regular DVD on the same disc, and without flipping? He went on and on
> about how the ability to have flippers gave HD-DVD a huge advantage over
> Blu-Ray, but he seemed to go quiet on the subject real quickly.

If they can put a Blu-Ray and a regular DVD on the same disc, without
flipping, then they can put Blu-Ray and HD-DVD on the same disc without
flipping. Regular DVD can go on the other side. Problem solved.

Norm Strong

Tarkus

On 8/4/2005 7:37:42 AM, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> If they can put a Blu-Ray and a regular DVD on the same disc, without
> flipping, then they can put Blu-Ray and HD-DVD on the same disc without
> flipping. Regular DVD can go on the other side. Problem solved.

Your leap of logic is...well, illogical. I'm not saying it can't be
done, but one has nothing to do with the other.
--
"I wish God were alive to see this."

Now playing: the radio.

manitou

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> If they can put a Blu-Ray and a regular DVD on the same disc, without
> flipping, then they can put Blu-Ray and HD-DVD on the same disc without
> flipping. Regular DVD can go on the other side. Problem solved.

Er... I don't think so since studios are backing only one of the two
formats.

C.

Alpha

"Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)9.com...
>> On 8/3/2005 12:43:34 PM, Alpha wrote:
>>
>>> "Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:ipb35ultasle$(E-Mail Removed)9.com...

>>> I did not see this post. If this is the case, I can't see the
>>> 'regular DVD' playing on a regular DVD player. I would like to
>>> understand the mechanics of that.

>> http://www.physorg.com/news2510.html
>>
>> Okay, go ahead and shoot it down.

> I won't shoot it down. It is very, very clever indeed.
>
> I will wait for the compatability reports, however <EG>

I talked to someone about this and he made the point that Blu Ray players
will need to have ROM code to deal with the JVC disc. So far, everything is
up in the air.

Kimba W. Lion

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 01:29:47 -0600, Black Locust <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The majority of John Q.
>Public did NOT buy movies on VHS, they rented them. I know there are
>people out there with huge VHS libraries, but you know what I'm saying.
>Only now with DVD have they started buying lots of movies. And I predict
>most consomers will be very hesistant to buy the same movies over again.

I look at people I know, and many do have a sizable VHS collection. I
don't think any of them have replaced any of their VHS tapes with DVDs,
even though they do have DVD players. It simply is not worth the expense
for what they see as a minor (or no) change in picture quality.

Think of all the people that would record in VHS's SLP mode. They're not
interested in picture quality.

Having an incompatible format and trying to tell people that they "need"
to replace their DVD players--which they still think of as "new"-- will
have a chilling effect on the entire video industry, unless HD DVD can get
shoved out of the way like SACD is or LD was. Pushing it will only hurt
the pushers.